Fuck it. blueslipper: I choose YOU! (To be Pitted for the shopkeep with tats thead)

The way I see it, people are judged by their appearances. This can be unfair, because sometimes we don’t have any control over our appearance. We didn’t choose to be ugly or beautiful, or to have the skin color we have, for example, and I think we can all agree that it’s unfair to judge someone based on those things they can’t control.

However, here are also aspects of our appearance, like our dress, we can control, and those parts of our appearance we can control, we use to send messages about us. That’s why, for example, a woman might wear a shapely dress on a dinner date rather than a mu-mu, and a man might wear a suit and tie to the office instead of jeans and a sweatshirt. In both cases, these people are tailoring their appearance to send a message; in the first case, that the woman is physically and sexually desirable, and in the second case, that the man is a professional.

Things like tattoos and body piercings fit into the second category. Anyone who gets tattooed or pierced has got to realize that people are going to make certain judgements based on what he or she has chosen to do to him or herself. (And some of those judgements will be good…they won’t all be bad)

Please note I’m not saying that having a tattoo or a body piercing means that you’re unfit to go out in public. But what I am saying is that you are going to be judged based on it, and if you didn’t want that happening, you shouldn’t have done it in the first place.

Where do you see that?

Agent Foxtrot, I explained in my OP. I’m not going to do it again and again. I think it’s perfectly clear. He showed up talking about “horrible” eyebrow rings and managers “just not caring” about how people looked. He didn’t say a word about “maybe it’s just me” until it was clear it was mostly him. The whole attitude was very sniff-sniff, surely we all look down on this outrageous practice, in my reading of it.

We do have some lovely parting gifts. Johnny, tell him what he gets just for appearing on the show…

A strange game, Professor Falken. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

I’m not into multiple piercings or hoop ears either or(tattoos are cool though), but I’m not worried about others that are. I’m not offended by it. However, there are certain jobs where a more professional look is called for, so piercings would need to be disguised if removing them is not feasible.

That being said, someone willing to look like a “freak” probably isn’t suited to a “real job” anyway and they don’t need or want such a job.

What in bloody hell are you talking about? He (I’m assuming he’s a guy at this point) says the exact words, “Maybe it’s just me” after on the fifth post of the thread. And after one person disagreed with him. Not exactly a massive dissention.
Adam

I guess the fact that the OP bothered asking for confirmation. Yes, the OP seemed to expect to be agreed with by most responders, but at least acknowledged that some people wouldn’t be on board.

And yet I think those are **so ** hot. Everytime I see a guy wearing them I have to fight the urge to start nibbling on his ear.

As for the OP–meh. Why it is that some people have such an issue with others having different likes/dislikes/opinions/beliefs/etc. I’ll never understand. Makes life a bit more interesting if you ask me. Different strokes, and all that.

It’s not a matter of likes and dislikes. Everyone has those, and it isn’t a big deal. If you aren’t in to piercing, more power to you. Where I get annoyed is when care about it so damn much that you go home and open a thread about how amazed you were that these people gasp dared to show their face in public.

As for professionalism, it’s a load of crap. My legs have been deemed unprofessional, so every day when I wake up I put on a FILM OF FAKE LEG that looks almost, but not quite, like my real leg. I’ve never experienced anything to fucking arbitrary and bizarre. Sure, some things are professional and some things are unprofessional, but that doesn’t mean that “professional” is some standard handed down by god that represents everything that is good and right in the world.

Ensign Edison, just in case somebody else needs to come out and inform you of this: You’re not as witty as you think you are. And judging from the last sentence in the quote above, you might want to work on your reading skills too.

I mean, sure, blueslipper’s OP in that other thread was kinda lame. But getting all righteously huffy and starting a Pit thread with a post a dozen times longer is really bad form, especially since blueslipper is a guest. And then going on to suggest that blueslipper is a troll is really overboard.

I don’t think you’re necessarily acting like a jerk per the nebulous definition of “don’t be a jerk” on the SDMB. But jeezum crow, if you Pit someone for a lack of manners and openmindedness, you might want to show a little decorum yourself.

Damn, people are thick. Yeah, I know I’m the only one who thinks I’m funny. I’ve said so in this thread. And in my sig. And about a thousand other times. So thanks for the heads-up, but I’m not doing it for anyone’s amusement but my own.

You accuse me of reading problems, and then you suggest that I said THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT I SAID. I explicitly said I did not think he was a troll.

Why is it whenever I get into a Pit thread somebody comes along and tells me to stop acting like I’m in the Pit?

What he asked was “do managers everywhere have such low standards?” Does that honestly seem like a sincerely open-minded request for information about the normalization of tats and piercings?

Out of curiosity, who has “dogpiled” on blueslipper?

I think blueslipper’s posts were stupid. I think Ensign Edison’s little pit thread here is stupid too. I have yet to see blueslipper get piled on, though, and when you posted, hardly anyone had replied yet, which made a pile on sort of impossible. It’s almost like you came up with that lie because you know how the thought of a pile on enrages people, and you cynically wanted to convince people to join your side by getting them stirred up about a pile on.

Or maybe I’m reading too much into it. I still don’t think you should make up lies in your posts.

I thought blueslipper’s thread was extremely lame. It’s not like she walked into a law office and saw this guy: it was a counter jockey at a freakin’ camera store. But, unfortunetly, it wasn’t half as lame as this pitting. So blueslipper has a provincial attitude, a narrow world view, and a weak stomach. I don’t have a bunch of piercings or publically visible tattoos, but if I did, I’d consider keeping folks like her away to be one of their great benefits.

You say that, yet you seem to be the only one that doesn’t get it.
Adam

Not to mention you’ve yet to respond to my previous post…

When I ask a question in that tone of voice – blueslipper’s question, not yours – I more or less expect that I’m going to be confronted with some bad news. I may hope that most people agree with me, but I’m pretty sure that won’t be the case.

I’m not arguing about the level of snootiness or open-mindedness.

I have to agree with the sentiment already mentioned by some. Acceptance of differences is touted by many that would Pit someone for having a different opnion.

Blueslipper doesn’t think the way you do. Accept it. Embrace the diversity of thought and opinion.

That’s how rhetoric works. If you genuinely hadn’t thought blueslipper was being a troll, you wouldn’t have even raised the issue in the first place.

Just like I brought up the issue of you being a jerk in my earlier post, but then dismissed it.

I agree. Some of the folks who wave the Diversity flag the most are remarkably intolerant of those ideas and people that don’t agree with their own (often narrow) worldview. Strange, isn’t it?

The OP was a joke? But it is not funny. Anyway.

Anyone who does not like eyebrow piercings has a provincial attitude and a narrow world view? Is it mandatory that we have to like piercings and tattoos?
You say not to judge people on their appearance. Yet you people herejudge blueslipper solely based on one post.