Fuck Netflix! Hamlet is a Two-Disc Movie! Warning to all Netflixers!

Thanks for the info on Netflix policy on series sets. I still haven’t decided which plan I’m going to sign up for (it’s a combination of how much money I want to spend and how much time I’ll have to watch them) but I wasn’t planning on trying any marathon series watching. I have piles of unread books and unwatched DVDs in my own collection, but I’d also like to acquaint myself with some of the things people are always talking about here.

[QUOTE=Bosstone]
Netflix just adds the series in order, but I don’t believe they do anything special to keep the queue orderly if they happen to run out completely of Disc 3 of a series (believe me, it doesn’t happen). I like to intersperse TV series DVDs with various movie DVDs just so I don’t get burnt out too fast on the series.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Neflix FAQ]
Q: Why were the Seasons in a TV show sent to me in the wrong order?
A: Usually the seasons and DVDs within a season should not be sent to you in the wrong order.
If a single DVD from a multiple DVD season is not available, then the rest of the DVDs for that season will be passed to ensure that the season is viewed in order. If a TV show has multiple seasons, and a specific season is being passed, subsequent seasons will not be sent to you if they are in your queue so that you can view the multiple seasons in order.
[/QUOTE]

Note that adding the entire series to the queue is different than adding the disks individually, and the queue looks different when the entire series is added versus adding the disks individually. Doesn’t mean they can’t goof up, but they’re supposed to keep the series in order.

I actually maintain two queues on my account. One is for series. The other is for individual movies. That way keep the series in order but don’t have to watch the entire series before watching something else.

Thrift, thrift, fair Zsofia! The funeral bak’d meats
Did coldly furnish forth the pivot tables…

We are oft to blame in this, —
'Tis too much prov’d, — that with devotion’s visage,
And pious action, we do sugar o’er
Netflix itself.

Soft you now!
The fair Zsofia! — Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all thine rentals remember’d.

Get thee to a Rental Store: why wouldst thou be enabler of Incompetence? I am myself indifferent honest; but yet I could accuse me of such things that it were better SDMB had banned me. I am very proud, revengeful, ambitious; with more offences at my beck than I have thoughts to put them in, imagination to give them shape, or time to act them in. What should such fellows as I do crawling between web pages? We are arrant knaves all; believe none of us…

[QUOTE=jayjay]
Everybody dies at the end. You can tell something is rotten in the state of Denmark because the freakin’ pile of corpses in the throne room is starting to smell…
[/QUOTE]

Not everyone – Horatio is left to tell everyone why Hamel died, and Fortinbras in left to be the next king of Denmark

[QUOTE=LunaV]
Hey… where are the spoilers, people? *Some * of us have never seen Hamlet, or his sled, or Vader’s proclamation at the final death scene.
[/QUOTE]

(emphasis added)
Are you referring to the sledded poleaxe/Polacks/whatever? Even after reading the play many times, I’m still not sure whether Hamlet senior was wielding a large battle axe or hitting people from Poland. Of course, he may have been doing both.

[QUOTE=Bosstone]

I also note that Netflix now has “On the DVD format, this film spans two discs; both discs will be shipped to you simultaneously.” in bold in the Hamlet entry, so take heart in knowing you made it easier for the next renter, Mahaloth. :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Nope.

That note was on there before the DVD came out.

It’s only because of that note that I expected both discs to come simulaneously.

When I called, they told me they have no expected time-frame to fix this problem. They told me I should just wait a month or so and try getting it again. I** was also told there is no way to know when the problem is fixed, so I have to just keep queuing Hamlet until it works.**

Check the reviews of Hamlet on Netflix. Everyone is complaining about the problem.

[QUOTE=Mahaloth]
Nope.

That note was on there before the DVD came out.

It’s only because of that note that I expected both discs to come simulaneously.
[/QUOTE]
Well, now, that’s just idiotic of them. I expect better internal communication from a company.

[QUOTE=Giles]
(emphasis added)

Are you referring to the sledded poleaxe/Polacks/whatever? Even after reading the play many times, I’m still not sure whether Hamlet senior was wielding a large battle axe or hitting people from Poland. Of course, he may have been doing both.
[/QUOTE]

Ok, who is whooshing whom, here?

How is it even possible to buy “half the movie”? Shouldn’t it just automatically come as a set? Can I go to Amazon or some other retailer and just buy the second disc of Hamlet because I only want to see how it ends?

I was wondering about how they bought only one disc too.

[QUOTE=dnooman]
Did Blockbuster get it right?
[/quote]

Yep. Out of curiosity, I added it to my Blockbuster queue and both discs were added as a locked set.

I think it is probably fairly simple. Whoever put the discs into inventory probably put the second dvd as “bonus material.” With long movies which are on two dvds, such as Reds, The Ten Commandments, or the Lord of The Rings extended editions, I’ve always received both discs.

Probably just a mistake on their end.

[QUOTE=Giles]

Not everyone – Horatio is left to tell everyone why Hamel died, and Fortinbras in left to be the next king of Denmark

[/QUOTE]
I don’t know what wussed out, bowlderized, Charles and Mary Lamb version of Hamlet you’re reading, but the one in my head clearly shows everyone dying. And monkeys. Mine has monkeys.

[QUOTE=ArizonaTeach]
I don’t know what wussed out, bowdlerized, Charles and Mary Lamb version of Hamlet you’re reading, but the one in my head clearly shows everyone dying. And monkeys. Mine has monkeys.
[/QUOTE]

Monkeys perhaps, but Horatio definitely lives.

He is about to drink the poison to join Hamlet in death when Hamlet tells him to stay and tell the story.

He does when Fortinbras arrives.

You know, Giles, many people – even Shakespeare experts! – seem to forget that Hamel also dies at the end. Easy to overlook.

[QUOTE=Beadalin]
You know, Giles, many people – even Shakespeare experts! – seem to forget that Hamel also dies at the end. Easy to overlook.
[/QUOTE]

Right – I must have been thinking of the alternative version, where Hamlet has a twin brother Hamel who goes to university in Oslo and keeps Fortinbras up to date with the Danish situation. Apologies for the confusion.

[QUOTE=SkipMagic]
Yep. Out of curiosity, I added it to my Blockbuster queue and both discs were added as a locked set.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, but we’ll actually have to wait and see if you GET both discs at the same time in the mail.

[QUOTE=Mahaloth]
Monkeys perhaps, but Horatio definitely lives.

He is about to drink the poison to join Hamlet in death when Hamlet tells him to stay and tell the story.

He does when Fortinbras arrives.
[/QUOTE]
See, now I know you’re just being silly, because Hamlet was killed when Polonius’s failsafe nano-virus was released.

[QUOTE=scout1222]
Ah, but we’ll actually have to wait and see if you GET both discs at the same time in the mail.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, hell, I’m not going to actually keep it in my queue. I need the open spaces for such cinematic chefs d’oeuvre as American Ninja, The Legend of the Lone Ranger and (hold your breath, get ready to gush, forget not to breathe lustily) Lemora: A Child’s Tale of the Supernatural.

But at least Blockbuster recognized two discs existed. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=SkipMagic]
Oh, hell, I’m not going to actually keep it in my queue. I need the open spaces for such cinematic chefs d’oeuvre as American Ninja, The Legend of the Lone Ranger and (hold your breath, get ready to gush, forget not to breathe lustily) Lemora: A Child’s Tale of the Supernatural.
[/QUOTE]
What’s not to like?