Fuck the Baby Boomers

I’m “that age” but I’m certainly not “that mentality”. Up until I moved to the states, I worked two jobs, and have never fit the “spoiled entitled” profile. I don’t know very many people in my age group who aren’t firm believers in responsibility and accountability for one’s own life.

The “die already, you’re old, ugly, useless, and selfish” rhetoric sounds very “Logan’s Run” and yeah, giant brush.

bolding mine…

Wait, wouldn’t the kids of parents of baby boomers BE baby boomers? I thought you just said they were a horrible generation.

You’ll have to excuse them. They’re getting a bit senile. ;):smiley:

You know, I’m 56 and I’ve spent a substantial portion of my life working for change that directly benefits little boys like you.
Ending one war.
Still trying to end the two others that are draining our resources right now.
Working for clean air and water.
Working to end discrimination based on gender or sexual preference.
Working to stop the increasing corpocracy.
Volunteering to help with vets suffering from PTSD.
Volunteering to feed and shelter the homeless.
Volunteering to visit and write to prisoners in jail.
Volunteering to try and end the death penalty in Texas.
Teaching immigrants to speak English.
Teaching families how to raise healthy food for their communities.
Many of my ‘elderly’ friends have and are doing the same.
No we haven’t ended hunger or poverty or racism or war but you know what, it’s not for the lack of trying.
Can I ask what the hell you’ve done recently?

Just so I have it straight: he’s allowed to troll and obliquely tell people “fuck you” without chastisement, but we are not allowed to return the favor. Got it.

Come on grandpa, you know what the nice mod meant. You can say “fuck you” to a group of people with repercussions. What you can’t do is tell a specific poster to “fuck off.”

Do you really think Xers and Yers don’t do these things? I swear, if it’s not in the newspaper or on the nightly news, Boomers are completely blind to everything else that’s happening in the world.

I apologize for this; it was inappropriate.

All you punks, get off my message board!

Boomers rock!

We gave you rock ‘n roll, the Summer of Love, weed, and a thousand other things I’d list if early Alzheimers hadn’t set in. If it wasn’t for us, you’d be wearying white shirts and ties to work every day. You’d still be eating Wonder Bread and fake cheese. Without us, you got nothin’, baby. The times they are a changin’!!

And you wouldn’t be saying “fuck you” in public, either.

John Mace, proud Boomer (birth class of '56).

But it’s just a continuation of R&B.

Especially the song that samples the 62-year-old Ray Charles cut.

Of course I do. I work with them. That’s why I’m not offering a general ‘fuck you’ to people of any specific age group or blindly lumping them together.

Do you have any idea of the world I inherited in my late teens and twenties?
America was pumping resources into an unwinnable war of oppression in Southeast Asia.
Those of us that were trying to end that war were often beaten and jailed.
Gay men were being arrested and /or murdered for being well, gay men.
People of color were being even more blatantly discriminated against then they are today.
Ditto women of all colors and classes.
You couldn’t legally obtain an abortion.
There was no such thing as spousal rape.
Rape victims were routinely blamed because of their behavior or dress.
In 1969, the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland caught on fire because it was so polluted.
DDT was contributing to the threatening the survival of many bird species.
The list goes on.

My point is that it’s very easy to blame the preceeding generation for the current mess we’re in right now without considering what issues they had to face.

Nope, that was the Silent Generation.

Woodstock was a corporate fraud.

Nope, Dave’s not here and Boomers didn’t give the world weed.

However, one thing you did is take boasting to an art form. I guess that’s something.

You’re right of course, just as it’s very easy to bitch about the kids today (it seems to be a trend over the last few days on these boards). But the thing that makes me crazy about Boomers is that they refuse to admit that they’ve fucked up pretty royally and they don’t want to look to other generations for help. It’s time to step aside, and until they do that, any of the good they’ve done will be forgotten by the continual fuck ups.

Lost my edit window before I could change the sentence to “DDT was threatening the survival of many bird species”.

I am from the Baby Boomer generation. I saw the thread title and clicked, intending to post supportive remarks: there are senses in which the Boomer generation is a big problem. In some ways, the path forward for America may indeed involve “Fucking the Baby Boomers.”

But then I read OP, which is 100% gibberish, tripe and twisted half-truths.

So put me down as willing to Fuck the Boomers, but even more willing to Fuck whatever misbegotten Ilk OP came from.

As I posted in another thread, stereotyping a whole segment of humanity by ‘generation’ is as foolish as stereotyping them by ‘race’.

But hey, lots of words were expended declaring blacks to be lazy, jews to be money-grubbing, irish to be less than human, asians to be disloyal, etc. People have mostly learned better than to do that anymore, so have at it about boomers.

Why can’t we work together to affect change?
Surely we have a better chance of creating a world worth living in if we do it side by side.
Trust me, I’d rather spend my time raising chickens and riding horses and reading books.
To quote Steve Earle:

Evidence of the lack of ability by our children to distinquish between reality and internet, or a really good parody of current youth.

The Silent Generation was a retcon to define a generation after the Boomer concept was recognized. You’ll notice it’s definition lacks coherency.

Woodstock was an event in the Summer of Love, and rock was a business. There are no participation points in reality, so do you have a real one?

Yes, marijuana existed before. So what. We made it available outside of the shadows. As our own stupid parents haven’t all died yet, it’s still mainly illegal for reasons no one can understand.

And boasting?!?! We’re not boasting. You kids are so lame that you think this is boasting. We didn’t have high scores in video games, we actually did things. You’ll never have anything to boast about.

I’d love to work together, but I believe the boomers have poisoned the well.

So? My point is that boomers laying claim to rock and roll is moronic when its early pioneers were born in 1925 (Bill Haley) and 1940 (John Lennon), respectively.

My point is that the Summer of Love is this hazy ill-defined thing and the reality behind most of the watershed events point more towards boomer nostalgia for their youth than life-altering superevent.

As mentioned upthread, boomers hold a supermajority in both branches of Congress and the President is a boomer. If y’all wanted to legalize pot you would have done it already.

Besides that, cannabis was sold legally in the US until 1906. How much more “out of the shadows” does it need to be?

Like I said earlier, if boomers can’t see it, it isn’t happening. Go ahead and believe that you close-minded jackass.

As for video games, using your own criteria, boomers created the video game industry too. Oh, and they still run it to this day. The executive head of nearly every major game company is a boomer. Modern video games were more or less created by Shigeru Miyamoto, a man who was born in 1952. Boomers did things alright. They created video games. I guess that means there’s one thing they did that didn’t suck.

So…you read an article about scientific breakthroughs and it caused you to get your hate on for a whole generation of people? Which includes your own parents? Because they might live longer now? :confused: You don’t want your parents to live longer? You don’t want to live longer? You don’t want your children to live longer? Is that what’s got your panties in a knot? Maybe you’re afraid the boomers are going to take the secret of long life with them when they go, because they are so selfish and entitled? Or do you just want to be in charge of deciding who gets to benefit from these scientific breakthroughs?

Younger? Yeah, I notice that all the time. More attractive? Certainly, but that’s nothing new. Less obnoxious? Um…not so much. Yuppies, disco and aerobicise?
Really? That’s all you got?

A three-legged horse is not as lame as this rant.