Fuck You, Vote Democrat

Nah I’m just going to say I’m a person whose name is not already highlighted in the voters’ log. They don’t check ID.

Republicans are doing that to lots of candidates. It’s SOP for them.

Nearly all evidence we have suggests Sanders would have beat Trump had they been matched against each other (and yeah they said that about Clinton too but Sanders margin was greater…as close as the election was you didn’t need much).

We can never know for certain but the smart money is on you are wrong.

My reasoning when I voted was quite simple.

For two years, the Republicans have stood as a block behind everything Orange Boy has done and everything he has shown that he stands for. Therefore, in my mind, they are all in essence Donald Trump. Since he has shown himself to me to be the single worst person ever to hold high office in the history of the United States, ALL Republicans are equally guilty.

I voted for everyone with a “D” in front of his name.

There is very little evidence that a spoiler vote was a factor. So little in fact that I have a hard time finding any information on it whatsoever. One would think if it were a notable portion of the votes there’d be more commentary on it and there isn’t.

I found this article which references a 1988 study which determined that spoiler votes were only about 2% of voters. Of course that could be different today but it is not something anyone seems to fuss about.

So, chances are, they were not a significant chunk of voters.

Two Trump pollsters, and realclearpolitics? Oh, the smart money.

Lord, I’d hate to see the dumb money. Oh wait, it’s the guy who thinks that the GOP wouldn’t have been able to lay a glove on him. That must be why they never started trying. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh, and a poll about 2020. Yeah, I still remember how Joe Lieberman was going to be the Dem nominee in 2004, the polls said at this point in that cycle.

RCP simply reported the results of six different polls, all of which are well respected pollsters and all of which had Sanders beating Trump. Are you suggesting they altered the results they reported?

And where’s your evidence too the contrary?

I voted this morning, and carefully checked the paper receipt to make sure it was correct. I even got the “I voted” sticker and put it on, which I don’t think I’ve ever done before. There wan’t a line when I went in, but I overheard the poll workers saying it had been busy earlier. My district is pretty heavily Republican, but I’m hoping for a big turnout anyway because I have a probably naive hope that big turnouts favor the Democrats even here.

I would suggest that any “Sanders v. trump” polls, either from 2016 or for 2020are meaningless because they don’t, indeed can’t, factor in the results of the GOP propaganda machine going full bore on him. By the time election day rolled around folks would think he was Joe Stalin. Heck, they might even “find” an old CPUSA card with his name on it. I’m sure the Russians have a few blank ones lying around somewhere.

As for the title of this thread: No, not “Fuck You, Vote Democrat.”. Fuck them, vote Democrat.

The smart money is on, we’ll never know about something that is unknowable.

We’ve gone a few rounds on Sanders v Clinton v Trump redux, and I’m done with that.

I wonder what happens going forward. I wonder if the different wings of what constitutes the Democratic party can unite, or will we succumb to a different kind of tribalism and go in different directions. I hope both the Sanders and the more ‘moderate’ wings of the party can behave pragmatically, but I have my doubts. The presidential system is one that’s ripe for extremist exploitation. And that’s what Republicans intend to do over the next year or so.

Check out Vice’s home page today: VICE - VICE is the definitive guide to enlightening information.

:slight_smile:

So they’ll allow you to browse the log book? And you’re certain that the name you’ll pick won’t be someone who is known to the poll workers or the person behind you in line?

The odds may be in your favor, but how long a prison term are you willing to risk for one extra vote for your candidate?

There were a gazillion judge races on the ballot today, so rather than descend into partisan politics I used logical criteria, like whose names struck my fancy.

How can you * not * vote for a guy named James Brown?

I’m only living in this state very briefly. Plan to spend some time overseas and then come back and move next year. In a way, I consider it irresponsible to vote for county and city races which I have no knowledge of and no stake in.

Congressional races, meanwhile, have national-level impacts, so I am informed about the candidates and I do believe I have a stake in the outcome.

He should totally do that. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

You know that front page changes regularly right? I’m looking at the recent stories and have no idea which one you considered interesting enough to just leave a linkdump to.

I just did, so lay off.

I went to Vice and got this, presumably what was referred to: https://twitter.com/jamescunningham/status/1059870100482867200/photo/1

Yeah, I apologize. I was getting ready to describe it and post a pic in a spoiler box, and I got called away from my desk. The dangers of posting at work. :frowning:

Yep.

I agree with the OP. I keep seeing my friends posting exhortations to vote based on health care or abortion or the minimum wage, and I feel like this entirely misses the point. I have not been a big Biden fan, but he gets it. He has been stumping around the country saying never mind about the issues of left and right, this is a unique election in which the character of the country is on the line. I don’t care if you are an archconservative who has never voted for a Democrat in your life. You need to vote Democratic this time and in 2020 to censure the president and make it clear it’s not acceptable to have a lying, low information, conspiracy-mongering buffoon in the Oval Office. You can go back to voting GOP in 2022 if he is gone.

Oh, OK, I’m getting different front pages, due to not being in the US