Fucking college attendance policy!

I was home sick from school today. It was my third such absense this quarter. That means that if I miss another day, my instructors can fail me in all my classes. sigh This is state policy, so I guess I can’t blame my specific school too much.

I would have loved to go to the local university, but they have a really shitty Comp Sci program and no Networking program to speak of. So I signed up at the local technical college. I have exactly one computer teacher who actually seems to care about us. I have another who hasn’t said a single word in class since he gave us the syllabus. He pretty much just pointed to the computers and told us to go do it ourselves. Fuck, they might as well have saved themselves some money and hired a janitor to look over the class if that’s all he’s going to do! I don’t mind so much because I’m a good book learner, but I know some of my classmates must be very lost.

Anyway, this rant isn’t about my shitty teachers; it’s about the attendance policy. You see, I missed two tests today. The policy says that if I don’t have a doctor’s excuse, I can’t make up those tests; I get big, fat goose eggs for scores. This is fucked up in so many ways.

First, we’re not all rich enough to go see a doctor every time we get sick for a day. I don’t want to go pay $75 to treat an illness that will probably go away by itself in a day or two!

Second, this policy needlessly clogs up doctors’ offices. While the doc is prescribing me some fucking ibuprofen for a sore throat, there are probably people who really need medical attention in the waiting room. They’re going to have to wait even longer simply because my school has fucked up policies.

Third, this encourages students to come to school sick and spread their germs to the rest of us.

Right now I’m sitting here at work, still sick. These fucking, fuckheaded, jiz-for-brains assholes don’t give me any sick days (or vacation days, paid holidays, etc.) and I simply can’t shoulder the financial burden that a missed work day would entail.

sigh

um…happy 1000th?

:D:(:smiley:

Heh, thanks Enderw23. Helluva day for it, too. :slight_smile:

I know how you feel. My daughter is going to a community college and the policies are pretty much the same. On top of that, I don’t think that a lot of teachers even know the definiton of teach anymore. “O.K. kiddies, there are the books. Have at it.”

At any rate, good luck and happy 1000th.

I agree with you that it tends to make students come in when sick, thereby spreading germs around. I’m sure the principle behind it is this: Sick enough to miss an exam, sick enough to warrant going to a doctor.

I’m pretty sure you’re a victim of someone else’s misbehavior. The legislature must have thought the tech schools were too lenient on attendance, and I’ll bet the school fashioned those rules to nail students who conveniently “get sick” when they don’t feel like being in class or when a test is scheduled.

I’d take some of this negative energy and launch a polite protest about this rule. Write your local legislator and let him/her know how this rule has burned you. At the very least, the college should have a health center where you can secure the excuse. If they’re going to require you to seek medical care every time you’re ill in order to be excused, they ought to make it easier to get.

Fucking College attendance policy?

I wouldn’t miss a minute at Fucking College even if I had the Ebola virus! :wink:

Gah, I wouldn’t have lasted a month in your college. My class attendance rate was maybe 40%.

My pity.

Sua

This school/state policy is the same now as when you enrolled? Your past history says you are usually never missing school? You have always missed 8-10 days of school all your school career? There is no school nurse? Clinic? You bring this attitude with you when you talk/see the powers that be? Grade schoolers spread grem because they don’t how not to, what is your excuse? Just can’t help yourself and have to huggy/kissy everyone you see?

The world is sorta round, not fair, just sorta round!

Well, that sure was inquisitive. And confusing.

Cat, what the hell was that?

It sorta looked like a flame, yet…

Plug in the Coherence meter and have at it again.

Hmmm. I would have responded to this sooner, but I was having computer problems.
This school/state policy is the same now as when you enrolled?

Yeah.

Your past history says you are usually never missing school?

Huh?

You have always missed 8-10 days of school all your school career?

Huh?

There is no school nurse? Clinic?

No, there’s not. In fact, there’s not even a library.

You bring this attitude with you when you talk/see the powers that be?

No, I’m usually soft-spoken and polite. I’ve never questioned their policies before.

**Grade schoolers spread grem because they don’t how not to, what is your excuse? Just can’t help yourself and have to huggy/kissy everyone you see? **

Yes, my excuse for spreading grem is that I’m huggy/kissy to everyone I see. You got me there, sir.

Yeah, i think that attendance thing is crap too.

At my college they dont take any attendance at all. I mean, you pay $1000+ for it, and they are satisfied, why do they give a damn if you attend or not? It’s not like they are losing out, they already got our money in thier pocket, those money hungry bastards. Ever heard this? University Institution = Big Corperation. Yep, its true.

Same thing kind happend to me at work too. I was sick so I called in for a couple days off, I was sick for a total of 3 weeks with some bad flu or somthing. IT was horrible, trust me. And nearing the end of it, my manager gives me a msg, through several other managers for me to get a doctors note. What the hell! I hate going to the doctors, and it was almost gone anyways, what is the point. So I ended up going to the doctors and he checked me out saying, the only problem with me is that i come to the doctors without being sick, (well actually he didn’t say that but i thought it would be funny if he did) So i got my note and gave it to my manager, he looked at it and threw it out.

I think i deserve to do this now:
ARUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

much better.

btw scratch1300,

what College institution do you teach at?