Fucking fake quotes on the internet

Again, the only reason why I think is interesting is that the official site links to it. It would be as if the official cite was also linked by Wikipedia, as I have pointed before the past, a Wikipedia cite is only as good as the cites it has.

Anyway, so far I do put this one as undetermined.

One more point to explain where I’m coming from:

Normally when a quote appears with dubious sourcing the normal searches **quickly **run into people that are sticklers to facts and they do point to the debunking, in this case those guys (that are numerous in my experience) are not talking about this item.

Still, just to be safe, I do put his one as undetermined as it is the only fair view to have now until more information is available.

Dude. This was Thomas Jefferson. Everybody knows that.

And here I always thought it was Nietzsche.

The one that grinds my gonads is the list floating about the Interwebs supposedly written by George Carlin. Here is the ass-end of the list:

Yeah, that sounds exactly like something Carlin would have written. :rolleyes:
mmm

All that is needed for fake quotes to triumph is for good Dopers to do nothing.
–John Steinbeck

“Use the force, Harry.”

• Gandalf

The one that particularly irritates me is a quote that goes something like “when I first saw you I fell in love and you smiled because you knew” and it is often attributed to Shakespeare. Any one who has read any Shakespeare would be skeptical, and it’s so easy to check with a Google search. It did the rounds on Pinterest for a while.

Anything you find on Wikiquote is probably reliable.

“Wikiquote quotes are totes legit.”
–Gandhi

“I’m tired of these mother fucking snakes on this mother fucking plane!” -Howard Hughes

It may be a sad commentary on the short-attention-span culture in which we currently live, but I found the Marley quote in the OP to be kind of TLDR. Can somebody help me out and tell me if anywhere in it Mr. Marley is alleged to have written “Share if you have someone in your life this awesome” or “I bet only about one in fifty people who get this will share”?

If so, the quote is probably a fake.

“Only the strong survive.”

~ Charles Darwin

I always thought it was -

“It is not the strong that survive, nor the most intelligent, but those most responsive to change.”

I’m sure that’s a direct quote. I looked it up in the original book - On the Origins of Species.

And made the baby Jesus cry.

“Neither a borrower nor a lender be.”

• Jesus of Nazereth

“On the internet, no one knows you’re a god”.-Jesus

Pfff. That was from Gilligan’s Island.

Praise Jesus - Christopher Hitchens

Too soon, dude. Too soon.

Might have been during his Mr Conductor career.