Fucking God Damn Newegg!!!!!

I’m trying to order some computer parts, simple enough eh?

I find the items then proceed to online checkout.

I have packages sent to my job instead of my house, because I’m not home during the day, and the packages are left in the lobby and stolen.

I see a warning that says

then…

Call up my bank, (I’m using bank issued Visa debit card) to have them append the account. I can only have one address on my account. According to the bank, there is no place to make a note or a memo on my account that lists my work address.

Idiots

I call up Newegg, and they won’t budge. The bank has to have my work addy on file so they can confirm it. I offer to fax paycheck stubs, and ask if there is anything additional I can provide to remedy the situation.

So is my bank supposed to have every possible address I would send something on file? WTF?

Although I’m steamed at my bank, I’m holding Newegg accountable here. If I wanted to order something for my father in France I can’t send it directly to him?

My bank was like, “look leave us out of this, we have your billing address on file, that should be fine”.

I must agree, I’ve never had this stupid problem before.

So here are my options.

1. Change my billing addy to my job, then change it back next week. Keep in mind this requires going to the main branch and waiting for awhile.
  2. Order from somewhere else. The same stuff costs me at least $50 more anywhere else.
  3. Send it to my house, FedEx track it, and pray it doesn’t slip into the wrong hands. (if I don’t sign for it, and it gets swiped who’s fault is that?)
  4. Have a guy at work order it. He thought I was ordering something cheap like a video card so I don’t know if his offer stills stands.

Help, before I lose my mind.

i’ve ordered from newegg a billion times, for myself at home and work, and for friends and family at home and work.

i think you’ll be pretty pleased with everything else, and you are obviously already pleased with the prices.

this one thing is quite annoying though. once, they called and said the bank didn’t have my work address, and i told them to call back again, and my stuff came 2 days later.

anyway, my suggestion would be to try calling visa. it may be possible to get them to list something where your bank won’t. also, you might want to call your bank again and talk to someone else who’s more amenable to your needs. i don’t see any problem having a memo, and i never had any trouble getting it added to my mc.

by the way, i think this little security thing they do is probably worth it. there’s a new article on cnn.com every day about id theft and such. so i put up with it. good luck!

1. Use a real credit card.

Debit cards are ok for convinience, but there’s hardly any of the protections that you have when you use a credit card. And, personally, I think that using debit cards for online purchases is just inviting trouble.

-lv

1. Use your home address for the purchase, but have them hold the package at the nearest FedEx terminal instead of delivering. Pick it up on the way home from work.
  1. Go to Googlegear.com :smiley:

The total was 2 bucks more, and I got free UPS 2-Day shipping :smiley:

They actually had the same deal, except it might delay delivery. I called em up the guy said “a lot of banks only let you have one addy, go ahead we can verify it through other methods.”

[sub]No he didn’t say “addy”[/sub]

I thought my Visa check card was for all intents and purposes a creditcard?

World Eater, I went through a similar problem with NewEgg once before. Nice to see things don’t change over the course of 2 years… I tried to use a debit card from Wells Fargo. Big mistake.

First, they couldn’t ship it to my business and neither NewEgg nor WF would budge. Delayed 2 days during this. Luckily, I lived in an apartment complex and asked NewEgg to update the ship to address to apartment 2204 (a kindly old lady who was home most days), not 2304. It went through, under WF’s radar.

1 more day passed with no confirmation. I called NewEgg, who told me my purchase was decdlined. Apparently, the purchase was too high (~$1,300) and the bank had placed a limit of $750 on all debit card transactions, despite my balance in excess of $1,800. To resolve this, I was forced to burn about 4 hours to send several faxes and make loads of maddening phone calls to Wells Fargo to beg for an exception so that they could release the order. After 2 additional days, the order was finally released. (As a fallback, I had asked NewEgg to break up the order into smaller parts, but they refused.)

This order was for a client, on a deadline to build a high-end CAD system. By the time I received my parts, I had only two days to build, test and burn-in the equipment.

Word to the wise: NewEgg is cheap, but a pain in the ass. And if you’re on deadline, don’t ever use a debit card unless you first contact your bank to make sure they’ll allow it.

Good story. I decided that they ain’t getting any of my money, not because of the CC policy, but because of the obnoxious customer service.

dig. Go to MWAVE instead.

B

While many check cards now offer the same level of security as credit cards WRT fraudulent charges, the main difference remains that if your credit card gets abused, you can report the abuse and just not pay the bill. But if your check card gets abused, your bank account will be cleaned out while you’re waiting for Visa and/or your bank to determine that you really didn’t make those purchases, which in turn can cause outstanding checks to bounce (and I’m not sure how NSF fees come into play here), especially if you’re not the type to check your account every day.

Just lookin out for you, WE. You should really check with your bank to see how liable you are in such situations, you may be surprized.
-lv

Thanks for advice, I’ll be giving them a call on Monday.

I’m still going to pimp newegg every chance I get. I may warn about using a debit card and shipping to a different address, but I doubt it.
I am an asshole.