Fucking maskholes and vaxholes

Quoting myself:

FTR I wasn’t seriously suggesting the meme author intended the message I got. I meant the author wasn’t smart enough to see the other meaning he’d built into his picture of smug self-satisifed … abject stupidity.

True dat.

Fucking maskholes; kudos to this young security guard for calling bullshit. I’m sorry but I haven’t been able to find the video yet,

The woman spoke on stage Saturday evening in the northern city of Hannover, telling fellow protesters “I feel like Sophie Scholl, since I’ve been active in the resistance, giving speeches, going to protests, distributing flyers.”

Someone should have told her not to lose her head over it.

This twitter thread has that scene, plus more video, including the part where she cries because he was mean to her.

Just fuck these people.

This sums it up pretty well:

I DON’T TURN ON MY HEADLIGHTS BECAUSE:

1. I Am Not A Sheep
  2. I Refuse To Live In Fear
  3. I Can See Just Fine
  4. I Respect Your Choice To Use Your Lights, So Respect My Choice Not To To
  5. If Other Drivers Can Not See Me, That Is Their Problem
  6. It May Be A Law, But It Is Unjust And Infringes On My Constitutional Rights
  7. I Have A Medical Exemption And You Are Not Allowed To Ask Me About That
  8. I Am A Member Of The Freedom To Drive In The Dark Committee

Thank you thank you thank you!

That was beautiful to watch!

I agree: fuck her. Fuck them all.

New York City:

So, on the good side - I rarely see people without masks. And unlike in the early days, very few people wear them as chin straps. I’ve gotten used to not seeing people’s mouths.

However, a sizeable number leave their noses uncovered. I don’t get it. How hard is it to pull your mask up over your nose? Is there something I’m missing? Do they not notice that their noses are uncovered? What’s going on there?

No, there are maskholes in other nations. It is just that they are not often led by the President. Usually radicals of some bent or another.

My wife works retail. She has to tell people to put on their masks. A little while ago, she did that to one loudmouth and he leaned over and coughed in her face.

I hope she called the police and had him arrested for assault.

Some people have flat noses and it falls down quickly.
Some people think (or choose to think) the whole point is to stop spewing spit while coughing. You don’t cough through your nose.
Some people think (or choose to think) the whole point is to stop spewing spit while talking. You don’t talk through your nose.
Some people think (or choose to think) they breath in through their nose and out through their mouth.
Some people think (or choose to think) it’s important to demonstrate their fight against tyranny by daring you and everyone else to distinguish between “wearing a face covering” and “wearing a face covering correctly”.

etc. etc.

There are as many reasons as their are people. With the exception of #1, they’re all bad. And even that one is not good, but at least understandable as something besides simple misanthropy.

I work retail. My store has about 300 customers per day coming through the front door. Ignoring the transition period when we were just starting to wear them, the amount of people not wearing them, or wearing them under their chin hasn’t much changed. It may have declined a bit, but we still have to remind quite a few people everyday. Granted, some honestly forgot to put it on and will happily (and with some embarrassment and apologizing) grab it out of their pocket or run out to their car. But we still get a good number of people that will, upon being asked to wear a mask, will through a temper tantrum and storm out of the store.

I always assumed that’s the main motivation. Like wearing a motorcycle helmet like a hat (without the chin strap it’ll fall off in a crash) or wearing a seatbelt with the chest portion of it behind you.

What I’m glad people seem to be done with is not wearing a mask AND making a point of being right in your face while talking. Back when masks were just a strong suggestion, I’d have people with their unmasked faces less than a foot from mine. The fact that they were getting closer to me to talk than what would be considered normal implied, to me, that they were making a point. Besides, usually they were getting up that close to tell me why they didn’t feel the need to wear a mask.

So, I saw a picture on Facebook of a bunch of guys in a store I’ve been to, after closing, all drunk, partying, having a good time. I got all misty eyed for the before times.

The picture reminded me that the shop owner paid a hefty fine ten years ago when he was arrested for furnishing liquor to his underaged employees since everyone else was drinking. I looked at the picture for clues on wether it was pre or post 2010.

I finally posted the question, “Hey, when was this picture taken?”.

His reply, “Tuesday”. Fucking idiots.

A friend of mine caught COVID. She had a bad few days but nothing requiring hospitalization. Someone on Facebook asked her, “Why do you still support mask mandates when your mask didn’t protect you?”

After all these months, people still think masks are about protecting yourself? No wonder so many stick to that “personal choice” bullshit.

Also, it’s very possible that her mask did protect her to some extent. Since COVID severity and mortality appears to be linked to viral load, and mask wearing reduces viral load, her mask may have helped her get less sick than many other COVID victims.

Even if your mask can’t totally protect you from infectious droplets etc., if wearing it means you’ll be exposed to fewer infectious droplets etc., that’s keeping you safer than wearing no mask.

All true, but that’s not the primary reason to wear a mask.

I’m just astounded at how many people still don’t understand that it’s not about taking your chances with your own health – it’s about having the common decency to not take chances with other people’s health.

Yet somehow these same people manage to wear eyeglasses correctly, despite flat noses. Anybody’s mask can slip down, and then the average person realizes it and fixes it. Having a flat nose is no excuse - people in Asia seem to have mastered this skill.

I think a lot of them do know (even if they don’t understand why) that a mask is about protecting others. They’re just using it as a way to (poorly) defend not wanting to wear one.

I still think that if all the people that used a BS reason for not wanting to wear a mask were told it actually protects them (as opposed to protecting others from them), suddenly they wouldn’t be concerned about it being uncomfortable or fogging up their glasses or that their CO2 levels will rise or their O2 levels will drop.

Think about how much harder (not that it was easy) seat belt compliance would be if wearing a seat belt meant the other person would be less injured.

When I talk, my beard will pull my mask down. I just keep fixing it.