Fucking unfeeling corporate assholes fire me one day before my last day.

Thats right boys and girls. I have known for a long time that I was going to be quiting my job soon. I’ve taken my days off here and there to use them up for the past few months. Well, this has gotten me written up and the last one was my final warning. BTW my boss knew I was quiting and why and when I got my last warning he said, “So I assume your giving your notice? haha!” “Yeah, gimme the paper to fill out” I said and foolishly I gave a weeks notice. He told me thats all the longer I had to give my policy and that if i didnt want my left over PTO (paid time off) I didnt have to give any notice with no harm, no foul. I went ahead and gave a week just to be nice to the company thats been fucking there employees in the ass for the past 3 years I worked there. (Keep in mind this is a computer related inbound telemarketing type company and that ONE year is considered seniority where 3 years is almost unheard of… yeah it sucks that bad) Basicly Ive dont computer tech support for some of the biggest computer companies in the world there… third party style. Well… a week ago my Ex/Friend/Roommate had major surgery and I agreed to help her all I could. Last Wed she fell trying to get herself off the couch and really hurt herself. I HAD to stay home with her Thursday to help her as she was nearly immoble. I call my boss and tell him and he says, “no problem, I’ll take care of it.” Friday I go into work and my boss comes up to me and tells me that the higher ups are pressuring him to fill out the paperwork to get rid of me. He KNOWS my LAST FUCKING DAY is Saturday (the next day) so he refuses. As soon as he goes home from work the higher ups approach me and FIRE ME IN FRIDAY NIGHT WHEN MY LAST FREAKING DAY WAS SATURDAY!!! NOW I KNOW they are in all there rights to do so… but did they have to? NO. Fucking bastards. They KNEW my last day was the next day and they didnt give a shit. Now I have NO POSITIVE REFERENCE from a company that I worked 3 years for and third party for some of the most respectable computer related companies on the planet.

This is how my year has been going. Just like this. Damn… 3 months left in 2002

Sounds like you worked for Stream.

Couldn’t you get a positive recommendation from your immediate boss? He sounds like a pretty stand-up guy.

Good luck, regardless.

corporate bastards

From what I hear, they are not legally allowed to give you a bad reference. Ask a friend to pose as a prospective employer and call to find out what the company says about you - chances are, they will probably say something fairly neutral, if they know anything about labour laws. Of course, things may be different where you are, but IME, giving references sounds pretty standard from area to area. You might want to give your local labour law people a call.

What they did truly sucks, though. “Thanks for all your time and effort, here’s a kick in the ass on your way out.” Hope your next job is a good one. :slight_smile:

I’m hearing about this type of situation (to put it nicely) more and more. I don’t know where you are, but you should still apply for unemployment compensation. You may have to appeal if the corporation makes up stuff about you. I would not worry about no reference because the fact that you were there 3 years speaks for itself. Best of luck.

MF enployers, even after all this time they still have the upper hand—and aren’t shy about using it. I remember when the old Soviet Union fell, I thought, “Wooah. If they think communism is bad, [and it is] wait til they get a load of capitalism.”

Capitalism works better because it awards asshole behaviour and greed, in other words, is more closely kin to mankind’s baser nature. It’s sold to us as ‘freedom.’ and we buy it. But then, what other choice do we have?

So yet another borderline literate slacker is fired for slacking. […shrug…]

Why would you get written up and warned for taking days off which were owing to you?

Although it isn’t unusual here for companies to tell people not to turn up at the office during their period of notice, they cannot generally dismiss an employee during that time.

I’d definitely contact whoever handles labour relations in your state, but the fact that you had been officially warned about taking days off before giving notice is going to make it difficult for you to convince either the union or potential employers that the company was just being spiteful in dismissing you.

Look at it this way. Had you quit. you would have gotten nothing. Now you can collect unemployment!

You get unemployment if you’re laid off. You don’t get unemployment if you’re fired.

You don’t?

Wow, good thing we had this conversation before “Operation Stinkbomb” went into effect.

Depends on the state, and the reason for the firing.

With apologies to GopherGod for the hijack, this is the third time I’ve heard this from various folks in the past two weeks. Is this true? I’ve had several cold calls from businesses, telling me that Previous Employee X has provided my name as a reference (without talking to me first) and I have been polite, diplomatic, and fairly truthful – nice person, good with customer service, terrible computer skills, absolutely no attention to detail, unable to meet deadlines.

Also, I cringe to think that when I phone people for references about prospective new employees, the former employer isn’t being truthful. What’s the point of references, then?

PS I see that featherlou is in Canada, and I am in the US.

delphica,

Most companies I work for don’t want you giving a reference. It isn’t illegal, its just that it opens them up for lawsuits. Works both ways - either the company who hired the slacker comes back to you with “you told us he was a good employee” or the slacker sues for slander because you told the prospective employer the employee was a slacker. Companies want references sent to HR, where the company will be told “Yes, Mr. Smith worked here from April 1998 to June 2002.” In my company, that’s it. No what he did - you could pass yourself off as the CFO, no salary info, absolutely no performance information.

There is less and less point to professional references. Which is why more companies do things like background checks, drug checks and credit checks.

You can still give a personal reference - and that’s what I do for former coworkers. Home phone numbers of people who have worked with you and are willing to give a reference. Unfortunately, that often means “the people you went to happy hour with” who may have a much better idea of how much beer you can drink than how productive you were at work. Professional associations are good sources of references - in fields where that is applicable.

I’d talk to your HR department and see what they want you to do. In my company, we get a notice every quarter or so (or after layoffs) reminding us not to give references - and giving one could be a firing offense.

Um, wow. Who pissed on your bible?

Do you mean my Chicago Manual of Style?

What is to stop a company from firing you instead of laying you off since companies have to pay higher unemployment ‘tax’ if they lay people off? (especially smaller companies)

Sorry but it was the only way to put out the fire.

coughs Just don’t ask about the fire, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Andymurphy – Not much. Some places have something called “constructive dismissal,” where you show you weren’t doing anything. Hello, SDMB search page!