Funkiest song ever

Eminent musicologists have long contended [1] that Superstition is not merely funky but actually stanky.

[1] Ellis, D. et al, J. Funk. Stud 36(2), 1978

I’m votin’ for Flashlight too, but think there should be some more love for Word Up and a nod to Brick Hoooooooowse.

I’m going with Jungle Fever. Not Stevie Wonder’s corny commercial crap; the cool, sexy Jungle Fever, by the Chakachas. You Tube Link.

But then, I really never was a huge fan of ‘funky’ music, so my vote isn’t as strong as it could be.

I’m pretty sure that either Pusher Man or Mighty Mighty Spade & Whitey by Curtis Mayfield are the most funktacular songs ever.

Here’s a vote for Rufus and Chaka Khan’s Tell me something good.

There’s some great stuff being touted here (although, personally, if you don’t end up with a George Clinton work as the ultimate answer, I think you’re wrong ;)…OK, James Brown would be equally acceptable). But Stevie Wonder? I’m not saying he’s not brilliant as the other candidates and possibly the greatest artist mentioned in this thread, but funkiest? Now you could claim that there’s a lot of his stuff that I’m missing, and you wouldn’t be incorrect. But “Superstition” is being thrown out as a candidate, and I don’t see that as anywhere near as funky as, say, Kool & the Gang, let alone something like “Flashlight”. Ditto Michael Jackson.

Yeah, there’s a difference (imho) in being danceable and toe tapping and even full of soul vs being down and dirty funky.

Well, as someone who nominated Michael Jackson for “Burn This Disco Out,” here are the bona fides: bass by Louis Johnson, song by Rod Temperton… it’s a killer groove. Not all MJ songs would fit the bill but that one does.

I think Stevie makes it for songs like Superstition and Higher Ground. Clavinet always makes the funk sticky!

Joe Tex - I Gotcha About 2:45 in, or come early for groovy 70’s Soul Train dance goodness. :slight_smile:

Here’s one to consider, and from a quite unlikely source: “It Ain’t Nothing To Me” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Pretty funky for an artist known primarily for his rather conventional rock music.

Finally a topic I consider myself an expert in and I don’t find out about it until the second page! Ugh! All the suggestions so far have been great, but I think Flashlight is the very definition of funk.

Here’s some more from my best of Funk playlist that I think were missed above…

Express Yourself - Charles Wright and the Watts Rhythm Band
Brickhouse - Commodores
Can I Get That Funk - Bluezeum
Backstroke - Fatback Band
Shotgun - Junior Walker
Hollywood Swingin - Cool & the Gang
Back In Love Again - LTD
Fire - Ohio Players
Give It To Me Baby - Rick James
Soul Donkey - Sugarman Three
Take Your Time - SOS Band

hands down, Lydia Pense and Cold blood

Really? Flashlight? It’s good, but really?

Mycroft Holmes and I are on the same page with Atomic Dog.
That is such a funky song! It’s the song that made me love funk! LOVE FUNK!

Jemes Brown-Try me

Hand up here! It’s what I came to post and I’m listening to it as I type this.

Yes indeedy. Although not the funkiest, it’s wacky, it’s funky and it’s Bootsy. Definitely top of my dancefloor fillers list.

“Brick House” -Commodores 1977

“Let’s Go to the Movieshow”-Jeremy and The Satyrs-1968

G Clinton & the P-Funk All Stars are going to be in town November 7 (a Saturday). Not the most earth-shattering news; the gang rolls through a few times per year (their last gig here was a smokin’ show at B.B. Kings in February). There’re a couple slight shifts though. First, they’re playing a concert hall (Lehman Center for the Performing Arts), so if you want to catch them in a bit more, er, orderly environment than a club, have at it. Not that B.B. Kings isn’t a chill place, but the dance floor can get a bit sweaty and crowded. Second—and why I’m posting rather than just letting the date sit on their Web site—tix are on sale but advertising hasn’t kicked off; there are still front row seats available. ‘Course, most of their gigs are general admission in small, personal venues so getting up front isn’t that difficult—but again, it’s in a concert hall so the scene will be a bit different.

Bow wow wow…

Close, but no cigar…

“The Jam” By Larry Graham, the bassist from the aformentioned group.