Funniest moment in film

Terminator 2
“I need a vacation”

Mr. Blue Sky, I agree, “This man has no dick” was one of the great laugh-out-loud lines from “Ghostbusters.” A prime example of the “unexpected but in retrospect obvious” line.

Being a Python fan, I laughed hard through most of “Meaning of Life,” at heart because 1) it was fresh Python so I was able to experience everything for the first time, and 2) I knew it would probably be the last movie they would make. Granted that, the “Every Sperm is Sacred” put me in the peculiar and uncomfortable position of trying to bust a gut laughing and at the same time trying to keep it in because I wanted to hear the next line.

Parts of “A Fish Called Wanda” put me in the same state: Otto’s “K-k-k-k-ken is trying to k-k-k-k-ill me!”, Otto’s “asshole!” shouted at a bicyclist he ran off the road, and Cleese’s attempt at a Texas accent, taunting Otto that “the Viet Cong kicked your ass in Nam.” (Otto’s response: “It was a draw!”)

(I much prefer Bill Murray’s comment in “Stripes” “We’re 10 and 1!”)

From SIGNS:

The little girl, “Why can’t they get girlfriends?”

As mentioned, the baseball scene in The Naked Gun. (With the “concrete dildo” scene running a close second)

Just about any scene in Airplane! Maybe it was because I saw it for the first time as a 12-year-old, in the theater. I literally fell out of my seat at one point***** and couldn’t breathe because I was laughing so hard. The tears came out. My dad thought I was having a seizure.

(*The exact scene was “When Kramer hears about this, the shit’s going to really hit the fan!” And then of course, the inevitable visual. Not that this was the funniest scene in the movie, it’s just that based on the movie up to that point, I knew what the visual was going to be, and my anticipation was rewarded. My laughter pump was primed to the brink at that point, and that pushed me over the edge.)

In A Fish Called Wanda, the scene where Otto sneaks in on Wanda and Archie and has to improvise when Archie’s wife walks in. ("Oh! You English are so smart…!). The wife is great in this scene. And Archie’s look of clueless horror is beyond great.

Another one of my faves is the scene in Roxanne where C.D. (Steve Martin) has his shy friend wired up in order to feed him romantic lines on his date, and the wires pick up the local police scanner. Boy, I laughed my ass off during that scene.

kunilou:

That is exactly what popped into my mind immediately. I remember they played the Jaws theme music in the background.

So, I’ll go for another one. Near the beginning of The Big Chill, at the funeral of a suicide victim, someone at the organ plays “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.”

“The kiss” in Baseketball. Never laughed so hard in my life.

(sidenote: The woman at the organ in the scene was a nun from my parent’s church in Beaufort, SC)

Another Peter Sellers Pink Panther entry - the Inspector is hiding in a hotel room and the lightbulb keeps popping out of the lamp as he tries to hide from the occupant, or he vacuums up the pet bird as he cleans the room.

[Nigel playing piano]
Marty: That’s very pretty.
Nigel: You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I’m really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it’s sort of in between those, really. It’s like a Mach piece, really. It’s sort of. . .
Marty: What do you call this?
Nigel: Well, this piece is called Lick My Love Pump.

It loses something when written down, but the timing and Nigel’s dead-pan delivery had me in hysterics and gasping for breath.

Actually, I am almost certain the line was “10-1-1”, as we fought to a draw in Korea in the 50’s.

The scene in “Vacation” where Clark punches Wally the Moose in the nose and what follows:

“We’re gonna have so much fun you’ll be whistling ‘zip-ah-dee-do-da’ out your assholes!!”

:stuck_out_tongue:

Chevy Chase, From CHRISTMAS VACATION:

'Where do you think you’re going? Nobody’s leaving. Nobody’s walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no! We’re all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here! We’re gonna press on, and we’re gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye! And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he’s gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse."

Joe E. Brown, from SOME LIKE IT HOT:

“Well . . . nobody’s perfect.”

One of the Pink Panther movies, I think the second one?, has Clouseu going into a small hotel. On approaching the desk clerk, he sees a dog, and asks the desk clerk “Does your dog bite”.
The desk clerk, completely dead-pan, slowly shakes his head no. As Clouseu gets closer, the dog attacks him and chews him up. Getting to his feet, with his clothes all torn, he says to the desk clerk “I thought you said your dog doesn’t bite.” The desk clerk, still completely dead-pan, says very slowly “That is not my dog”.
I havn’t seen the film for years but I still crack-up whenever I think about it.

Vacation, the cousins, especially Randy Quaid.
Stripes. Pretty much the whole movie.
Caddyshack. See above. Bill Murray became a legend.
But, the funniest movie ever is…
Meaning of Life by Monty Python. Particularly the song, “Every Sperm is Sacred.” Then the Protestants talking about condoms…
Oh, and all the other Monty Python movies.

Holy Grail: John Cleese’s character (Galahad?) storming Swamp Castle.

Clueless: The freeway scene. Stacey Dash, the main character’s best friend, is driving and being coached by Donald Faison, her SO, while Alicia Silverstone babbles away in the back seat. Everyone gets distracted, and suddenly Faison yelps, “You’re goin’ on the freeway!” EEEEEEEEEEK! Twelve bikers zoom around and past the car, and an elderly woman flips off Dash, who shrieks and raises her hands helplessly. Faison tells her “Keep your hands on the wheel! Keep your hands on the wheel! At all times!”, then turns around to see an 18-wheeler bearing down on them. “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!” in closeup.

I learned to drive in LA, at age 24, so this was cathartic for me.

Night on Earth: Roberto Begnini’s sequence. I don’t care what anyone else thinks; he is a flippin’ genius.

Leningrad Cowboys Go America: I don’t really know how to explain this film; just giving the premise is not enough. Long story short, this “band”, which consists of eight or ten Finnish guys is playing a gig in Memphis or somewhere, and it’s their first attempt at “hrock and hroll”. Oh, you just have to see it, that’s all. Suffice to say that I cannot hear the song “Rock and Roll Is Here To Stay” without cracking up.

I wasn’t that big a fan of Christmas Vacation, but the scene where Clark has invented a super-lubricating oil and applied it to his sled had perfect timing. A great example of a joke you just have to see to appreciate.

What divemaster said about Airplane! is definitely true; everybody remembers a different “funniest” scene in the movie, usually because that’s the point where you just lost it after being hit with joke after joke for the whole thing. For me, it was the line “That can’t be! They’re on instruments!” and then the cut to the cockpit where they’re all playing dixieland.

If I had to pick one scene out of Raising Arizona, it’d be the one where H.I. robs the store as he’s buying diapers, and the chase that follows where he’s running away from the cops while trying to catch up with Ed. Even the soundtrack is funny in that movie (the theme switches to muzak as he’s running through the grocery store).

O Brother, Where Art Thou? is easier; it’s the scene in the movies. “We thought you was a toad!” “Do not seek the treasure!

Hehe. That has me cracking up just reading it. I had completely forgotten that scene. I should really watch that film again.

“Alright, Iam the Messiah. Now fuck off!”
“How shall we fuck off, Lord?”

No, no, same movie, but the cat in the Christmas present box. I’ve watched this movie at least 15 times and that scene still just kills me, cuz they have obviously actually put a cat in there who is extremely unhappy about it.

The whole thawing scene in the first Austin Powers movie, but especially…
Basil: Austin! The Cold War is over!
Austin: Finally those capitalist pigs will pay for their crimes, eh? Eh comrades? Eh?
Basil: Austin… we won.
Austin:Oh, smashing, groovy, yay capitalism!

Another vote for Biggus Dickus. I’ve been laughing at that scene for over 20 years, whenever it comes to mind (I’m laughing now!), and I am certain that I’ll be laughing at it just as hard when I’m 100 years old. Nothing else comes close.

There are many great moments in the Pink Panther films… one that stands out in memory is Clouseau creeping across the room and attempting to crack a ‘safe’ that turns out to be a radio; which, thanks to his hapless fumbling, suddenly blasts out the Marseillaise at top volume when he’s trying so hard to be quiet!

Spinal Tap . . .

Metal detector . . .

'Nuff said.