Funny/Cool Baseball Catchphrases/Sayings

I was listening to a bit of the Reds game on the way to pick up my sons from their Mom. Chris Welsh was calling the game. Kyle Loshe was pitching for the Cardinals and Welsh says this about him: “Loshe works really quickly out there. He’s on the first day side of forever.”

Now I know that isn’t much but I thought it was pretty funny. What other sayings does your favorite announcer use, or have you heard someone say something mildly entertaining/classic/really annoying?

All time favorite though, is Marty Brennaman “And this one belongs to the Reds!”

If they say, “Gooooooaaaaallll!!!” in soccer, why don’t they say “Hooooommmmme!” in baseball?

Ha ha. Baseball, due to the way the game is structured and its unique pacing, which some think is boring, lends itself very well to radio, and there are so many unique personalities that have developed over the years that have said some pretty unique and crazy things.

I want to hear your faves.

“There’s no crying in baseball!”

Because we have (had)
HOOO-LEEE-COW!

and

You can put it on the BOOOARD - YES!

It is the shame of baseball that these are not the default phrases for the respective leagues.

“Put it on the board…” is the single worst baseball catch phrase of all time. All White Sox fans should be publicly shamed for being inspired, rather than humiliated, every time it is uttered.

You good Sir are mistaken. While I will defend you’re right to your opinion I must point out it is nonsense.

Willie Stargell once said about Phil Niekro’s knuckleball, "It’s like trying to hit a butterfly with hiccups".

“The California Angels are like Kleenex. They pop up one at a time.” - Pat Buttram

After a spectacular 1977 season as a reliever for the New York Yankees, Sparky Lyle saw his role diminish when the team signed Goose Gossage for the 1978 campaign. Referring to Lyle’s sudden descent from winning the award for the league’s best pitcher to becoming expendable, teammate Graig Nettles quipped that Sparky “went from Cy Young to sayonara.”

I’m not sure what this means?

Some pitchers take “forever” to get their shit together, apparently Loshe pitches rather quickly.

Exactly what I am looking for! C’mon people!

A few years back the SF Giants had Edgardo Alfonso on their roster, and the KNBR radio team (Duane Kuiper, Mike Krukow, John Miller, David Fleming) eventually took to referring to him as Ed-wierdo El-fungo. Nothing against Alfonso, it’s just that they sometimes stumbled on his name and the alternate name came more naturally.

Bob Prince the one-time Pirate announcer had a number of pet phrases, one of which he would utter after a particularly hard fought game, the outcome of which was always in doubt: “We had 'em all the way.” It was particularly appropriate after the 7th game of the 1969 World Series.

Bob Veale, a former Pirate pitcher, (and others) are credited with saying “Good pitching will beat good hitting every time, and vice versa.”

I have heard announcer say, after a batter has finally raised his batting average over .200:
:Well he finally got off the interstate." (That is there is no longer a 1 starting his average as in I-95")

Well if we can include comments from players, there’s a treasure trove from Lawrence Berra that can be mined, but I’d like to offer one from the pinstripe quipster that I grew up with:

Pitching is 80% of the game and the other half is hitting and fielding. - Mickey Rivers

And I just found this, which has some real gems.

Vin Scully, the venerable voice of the LA Dodgers, is a font of baseball color:

I love the quote about Hank Aaron…and the one from Gwynn…nice!

Good Lord those are hysterical.

From Lebowski’s list:

1. Bob Gibson is the luckiest pitcher I ever saw. He always pitches when the other team doesn’t score any runs. — Tim McCarver

2. After Jackie Robinson, the most important black in baseball history is Reggie Jackson. — Reggie Jackson

3. A man once told me to walk with the Lord. I’d rather walk with the bases loaded. — Ken Singleton

Oh, Pete.

1. I’d be willing to bet you, if I was a betting man, that I have never bet on baseball. — Pete Rose

2. The way to catch a knuckleball is to wait until the ball stops rolling and then to pick it up. — Bob Uecker

Maybe someone else knows who said this one, referring to a failed base stealer: “He had larceny in his heart but his feet were honest.”