Funny sign juxtapositions

There was the “Triangle Gym” in Myrtle Beach (logo: inverted pink triangle) that had a sign out front that said “Parking in rear.”

I’d always wondered if that was intentional.

There was a home under construction in my neighborhood. In the front yard were the usual real estate signs. Also in the front yard was a port-a-potty for use by construction workers. The sign directly in front of the port-a-potty read: SPACIOUS INTERIOR! BIGGER THAN IT LOOKS!

Also, in Georgia, “Strange” is a fairly common family name. Apparently, one such family owned a pharmacy in south Georgia. The resulting sign: STRANGE DRUGS

Not sure if it’s really a juxtaposition, but some years ago, I was driving with some friends through Vermont.

We drove over a bridge that had a sign: “Robert Frost Memorial Bridge.”

Then, a little further down the road, we saw another sign: “Robert Frost Memorial Highway.”

Not much farther, we saw a road sign left over from the winter that warned us of “Frost Heaves.”

The last sign prompted one of my companions to remark, “What, did he barf here?”

This was in a segment of Real People:
ALIEN
MEATBALLS
ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ
In National Lampoon’s “True Facts” book this marquee appears:
THE FLY
GODS MUST BE CRAZY
ALIENS
The magazine commented, “I never did trust those Fly Gods.” :smiley:
Not a real juxtaposition, but a funny phrasing I saw on a sign at a local movie house:
JAMES GARNER
in
TANK

You can look here for an example of the Jesus/Duncan Donuts sign. For extra fun, you can go to my homepage and download the .wav file I provided to go with it.

Somewhere between Appomattox, VA and the Richmond International Raceway, there is a Quik-E-Food gas station with part of the “D” broken off. So it looks like it says Quik-E-Fool

In East Greenbush, NY there is a sign in front of a CVS that says
PEPSI MILK 99
It has said PEPSI MILK 99 for more than a year and a half. I still don’t know what that means.
Not a juxtapositionthingy, but it amuses me: also in East Greenbush, there is some land for sale. It says to call Jeff Gordon.

Two intersections in New York:

In Manhattan, just a block south of the New York Stock Exchange (Wall and Broad Streets), you’ll find the corner of

Beaver and Broad.

I giggle. I can’t help it. Just Friday I had to messenger a package there - would you believe that the building on that corner is where the New York Unified Court System has its Continuing Legal Education board?

The other was duly noted in the 92 election - it’s in Brooklyn:

Bush and Clinton.

My three favorite signs of all time:

1. On a little shop near a river: Jeannie’s Bike, Bait, and Deli (I never, ever shopped there; no telling how the ingredients got mixed)

2. On the side of a building: Girl Scout Distribution Center (I could just see a new scout leader driving up to ask for a “Dozen Brownies to go, please”)

3. On the door into a stairwell: Use Stairs Between Floors Only. (This one still leaves me speechless; Wonko would love it)

On holiday in Cornwall, in a small seaside town. Sign on the exterior wall of a public lavatory : **“No Dumping” **

A couple of years ago I visited Big Bone State Park in Kentucky.

How do you get to “Big Bone”? Well, you turn at the Beaver Lick General Store.

snicker

So, xtnjohnson here in Jacksonville, we also have an intersection at Beaver and Broad Streets.

Fav juxataposition - on US301 - between Jacksonville and Ocala - is an establishment with this sign:

MOTEL
TAXIDERMY

… is the manager’s name Bates?
… they have a REALLY strict check-out time.

A couple of old political buttons I acquired back in the early seventies, when such things were hot…

A Chicago antipollution slogan reading “Don’t Do It in the Lake!”

…followed by a McGovern campaign button that read “Let George Do It”

Fun to wear them both to school, in that order, and watch the looks on people’s faces as they caught my drift.

While waiting in line for the Magnum (big rollercoaster) at Cedar Point, there is a sign warning people that their belongings may fall out while on the ride. Someone stuck their old gum on the word “glasses” so the sign reads, “Please secure your asses…” Good thing too, some people may lose control of their bodily functions on that thing.

99 cents maybe?

Heh, I think he’s refering to the rare Pepsi milk. What do they do to get it, feed cows a six pack every day?

On I-35 south of Fort Worth, we have a sign like that for “Joshua” and “Mansfield”.

If I ever write a book, the hero’s name will be “Joshua Mansfield”, and he’s going to get involved with a stripper-with-a-heart-of-gold named Lacy Lakeview.

As for other funny sign juxtapositions, here are a few from my collection:

A “Sign of the Times”:[ul][li]at the movies (21 K)[]on the road of life (49 K)[]at the grocer’s (42 K)at the fast food joint (31 K)[/ul][/li]—
Pete
Long time RGMWer and all your base are belong to us!

This isn’t quite a juxtaposition but it’s pretty damn funny. A friend pointed out the sign on the microwave at the office, which I’d never really bothered to read:

“This microwave is a privilege. If you’d rather not clean behind yourself, please do not use this microwave.”

You could even say people were Dying to get in there Ducks