G[BB]Q - How to I stop MS Visual Basic from FUCKING ABOUT with everything I type?!

It is making trying to use it to debug some code about four hundred times more difficult than if I were using notepad. Aren’t Programming IDEs supposed to make it easier?

Just ONE example… I need to insert about fourty table headers to use as vars in an application. They are seperated by a paragraph mark like this

var1
var2
var3 (and on down to var40)

I want to paste them in, then replace the carriage return with a comma. but what happens is this.

var1()
var2()
var3()

Did I ASK you to do this!!!

So, the GQ part of the GBBQ - How do I stop it from doing this?

For a start - How do I turn off auto-indent.

I have comments like '____________________________________________ which tell me where a certain section of code starts.

I move it to the beginning of the line but as soon as I move the cursor away fuckrosoft visual basic puts it back

Look under Tools, Options, Text Editor, Basic:

Under Tabs, change the indenting to None
Under VB Specific, uncheck the Pretty listing (reformatting) of code

Shouldn’t you be using an array for this kind of thing?

Also, Emacs.

And not VB.

Yes, I’m in a helpful mood today.

However, I wouldn’t type in 40+ field names to use as variables. At the very least, create just one array and Dim it to 40. But I would probably setup a DataTable and fill it with a “Select * from TableName”. Also, I would wonder if the table itself should be normalized if it has that many fields.

I like Notepad++ as my DWIM text editor.

For speed (I had a short time frame) I was copying the method used by the person who wrote the program I was updating.

And I am a complete noob at VB programming - especially when it’s application programming and not scripting or website programming (which I am better at)

You know what, It didn’t actually occur to me at the time, that I can edit the file in notepad. :smack: Woulda meant some messing about opening it up every time I want to build it.

That’s not an excuse for creating forty numbered variables.

If you are using Visual Studio, then part of it may be from the Intellisense feature, which is supposed to help you complete statements, etc. I always found this useful, personally, but I suspect that is because I was writing the program in Visual Studio, and could make the appropriate Intellisense choices as I went, rather than pasting it in after I had it set up the way I thought I wanted it.

If you aren’t using Visual Studio… never mind. I agree about the no need to dim 40 variables, though.

Notepad++. Much different program. I like doing search and replace across 10 slightly different files. Handy. DWIM means, of course, Do What I Mean. (Damn you!) It’s for when other programs are being far too helpful.
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

I use Notepad++ (I particularly like how well it integrates itself with Explorer context menus, etc.), but it’s a pale, pale glimmer the darkness compared to Visual Studio for coding. Lobsang is being punished for committing cardinal sins.

:smiley:

Okay, seriously, Lobsang, you can simply edit the files in Notepad (or Notepad++, etc.) and then Alt+Tab back to Visual Studio to compile/debug/whatever. By default, VS will prompt you whenever it gets the input focus to re-load any files that have been modified “externally” – there’s no danger of missing your updates, or having to mess around with manually closing and re-opening the source files when you want to commit your violations upon the Art.