Gallifrey 24 Doctor Who convention at LA

For those of you Whovians who might have planned to go to the convention, it was announced within the past few hours that attendance at Gallifrey 24 will be capped at 3,200 registrants.

2,100 tickets have been sold already (I just registered the three of us), and it is likely the remaining stock won’t last until the end of the month, given the announcement and the price rise set to happen the 1st of October.

I know there are some Dopers who go to this convention and I’ll contact the ones I know about via PM, but figured a general thread would be helpful as well.

If you’re planning on going, buy your tickets now - there will be no at-door sales.

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php

Bumpola. The Hamster King responded to my PM, still waiting on smaje1 to respond. Hopefully smaje1 is the sort to do vanity searches…

Last bump. I head from smaje1, so last years Doper attendees (that I know about) have been alerted.

So far, the headliner is Rory (Arthur Darvill), but there are more announcements to be made.

What, no love for Mark Strickson and Frazer Hines?!?!

I love them, I love them!

Thanks for the heads up. buys tickets.

Glad this thread was of help, Small Hen.

It’s official: The convention is sold out. Took longer than I thought it would…

2 weeks before the convention starts, here’s the latest news:

1. Rory (Arthur Darville) dropped out, the bastard.
  2. Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones) is going to be there (she was not a replacement for Arthur, btw.)
  3. Sylvester McCoy (#7) will be there. My daughter is looking forward to seeing him as she loved the Radagast character in The Hobbit.

Convention starts Friday @ noon and continues until Sunday around 5-6pm. Akin to last year, while all three of us are going, my perspective is that I’m going to Los Angeles while my wife and daughter are going to the convention. :wink: I like DW, but not enough to spend three whole days immersed in it - I have some business associates I’d like to meet, so will do that if possible.

Sophia has spent a lot of time over the past year futzing around with Windows Movie Maker and a program that allows her to d/l videos from YouTube, making her own little productions: “trailers”, she calls them. She has told me that she wants to get in the entertainment industry “making videos”, so I’m working the phones and trying to see if we can get a short 15-minute visit/tour at a trailer production house on Friday morning (we’re flying in Thursday night ~8pm.) Wish me luck!

We’ll be there, although we’ll be cutting Saturday short because one of my daughter’s friends is having her bat mitzvah that evening. What were they thinking?

I’ll be there with my 12 year old nephew, Jack - we’re flying in Friday morning, and flying out Sunday afternoon, but I think we’ll spend a little time sight seeing as well. I’ve been to LA twice now and still haven’t seen much there.

Jack is stoked about meeting Sylvester McCoy (I’ve already had the pleasure), while I’m looking forward to meeting Mark Strickson. I love Turlough, and besides, the guy just sounds cool. Anyone who chooses to spend his life chasing snakes, crocodiles, and komodo dragons is someone I’d like to know.

Just FYI, Small Hen, (and I’m likely telling you something you already know), Los Angeles is huge and filled with traffic at all times of day and night. We made a “short journey” last year to see the Hollywood sign and the walk of fame at the Chinese Theater and it was an hour each way from LAX to Hollywood. And we did this leaving around 8pm on Friday night, so we weren’t in rush hour traffic.

Yeah, unfortunately, I know. Driving in LA is preferable to walking ten miles to get to one’s destination, but barely, and not much faster. I’m waiting for the full program schedule, including the autograph schedule to come out, so I can work out where and when we can catch a cab.

Since the SDMB attendees are likely subscribed to this thread, I’m using it as a general “2013 Gallifrey One” discussion thread…

Flying to Los Angeles tomorrow for the “24 Hours of Gallifrey One” Doctor Who convention, the largest (so they claim) DW convention in North America. With me are my wife and daughter, of course.

Top convention draws include Sylvester McCoy, Freema Agyeman, Philip Hinchcliffe (1970’s DW producer) and (big one for my 11yo), Anjli Mohindra who played “Rani” on The Sara Jane Adventures.

Sophia decided this past weekend that she needed to make her own money for the convention so she can purchase items w/o asking mom or dad. She worked feverishly to put together a collection of homemade bottle caps, hand lotions, shower gels, and bar soaps (using various DIY kits she received for Christmas and small plastic bottles purchased from Hobby Lobby), and the past two nights she has gone door-to-door selling her items. People have been buying them like mad – in 2.5 hours of selling she made over $60!

About a month ago, Sophia told me that she wants to “make trailers” for a living, and for the past year she has been using Windows Movie Maker to do so – for example, she’ll download video clips from YouTube, spliced them up, and put them back together with a Taylor Swift song as background music. Since we’re going to Los Angeles I decided to call a number of production shops that make trailers and hit gold with my first one – Ignition Creative, who are going to give us a 1-hour presentation about A/V production, making trailers, all coupled with your standard “do well in school” message. The people at IC are thrilled about this as they never have kids call them to ask them about their job – as one of the people I talked to said “all kids want to do is be an actor or an actress, with the occasional one who wants to be a director. None of them show an interest in how a movie is actually made, so we can’t wait to see her.” They are putting together a presentation just for Sophia, making sure that what they show her is “kid appropriate”, which is just very, very considerate of them.

We’ll be landing in LAX tomorrow around 8pm, a friend picking us up at the airport. We’ll rush to get to the hotel before pre-registration ends at 9pm but if we don’t make it, Friday registration begins at 9:30am, so we’ll hit that. Ignition Creative is only 20 minutes away from LAX, so we should have little problem making it in time, as long as we get in line early enough (if we have to.)

Doper attendees – PM me so I can give you my phone # and we can meet. As I said last year: “my wife and daughter are going to the convention while I’m going to Los Angeles”, so my time will be pretty open.

At the OP’s request I shortened the thread title, which was “Gallifrey 24 (Doctor Who convention at LA) attendance is being capped.”

Thanks for the quick edit, Marley!

Mad props to the Ignition Creative people for being enthusiastic about your daughter’s interest!

If they’re open to the idea, you might want to ask if they have business cards or small flyers that you can put on the “random papers” tables at the con. I’ve found that geeky kids of geeky parents tend to be a lot more interested in the technical aspects of entertainment, and some other family might not have the know-how or contacts you do to work something out.

Thanks, Lasciel, for the advice. I’ll be sure to ask them.

[Proud Dad Mode]

Just received a confirmation email from Ignition saying, in part:

[/Proud Dad Mode]

We’re here! Got in around 8:30 in time for “Lobbycon” where the Gallifreyans meet in the lobby of the LAX Marriott, pre-register, and then stand around talking about all things Whovian. As with last years’ convention ribbons are the big trading item. Unlike last years convention, we came fully prepared with 500 “TX (heart heart*) DW” ribbons, which my daughter has been exchanging for other ribbons - we have a string of 56 of them so far and the initial goal of 100 seems easily within reach.

The actual convention begins tomorrow about noon.

I’m reminded that the internet connection to this hotel REALLY F***ING SUCKS. It went out again as I typed this post and I had to work on it to get reconnected so I could click on the “post quick reply” button.

*This is a graphic of two hearts. The ribbons don’t actually say “heart heart”.

My best friend is enroute right now. I’m so jealous. She asked my if I wanted anything. I told her Martha Jones.

My friend designed the Chicago convention’s logo this year and got free tickets there.

He got a picture with Sylvester McCoy and the lady who played Ace.

Jealous forever.