Game of Thrones, Lord Snow, 5/1/11

But it also means that he joined after Robb was born, meaning that his services as heir were no longer needed.

If it’s from the books, not the TV show, it’s a spoiler. Please respect the fact that not everyone watching the show has read the books.

Thanks,

twickster, Cafe Society moderator.

Twicks, that really really wasn’t a spoiler, it was back-story that the TV show will never ever get around to talking about because it can’t get into that kind of detail.

If people are asking about background information on the books where should we direct them? There is a lot of stuff that happened in the books that has obviously been cut out of the show that those of us who have read the books can (and probably should) share when asked.

If it has already happened in the books and the show has passed it by shouldn’t that be exempt from the “pretend the books didn’t happen” rule?

He played the patriarch of a cannibalistic family in the episode where the gang gets stranded out in the middle of the Welsh countryside.

I’d say if a person asks a specific question regarding background info, it should be answered in PMs. Someone can post in the thread saying that they answered that question in PMs, so 800 of them don’t get sent out. That way we can respect those in this thread who do not want to get the information from the books.

Ah, Countrycide.

I thought it was going to be someone major like Ianto aging really quickly and badly.

-Joe

Good episode, I thought. Tyrion is still great. Syrio is younger and plumper than described in the books, but still was just as I imagined him in terms of his spirit, panache and skills. Littlefinger, Varys and Selmy were right on the mark. Renly, the King’s brother who serves on the Small Council and gave Ned a hug, isn’t quite the prettyboy young royal I remembered from the books, but he’s OK. The scene with Ned and Arya was very nice.

King Robert is not just fat and ugly, but stupid - insulting the guys who guard you and fill your wineglass? Duh. Not a good idea.

I would’ve liked to see some cool CGI reveal of King’s Landing, from the Red Keep to the rooftops, walls and harbor. We saw too little of it in this ep.

Renly is supposed to look exactly like young Robert, who was athletic and jock like, not a pretty boy young royal.

My first thought was “doesn’t he look a lot like Justin Timbe hirlake?”. From what I understand girls find him dreamy.

Loras is supposed to be the pretty boy.

-Joe

Not knowing the material really puts me at a disadvantage for modding this stuff – all I can do is act on post reports as we get them. (Neither Ellen nor Marley is familiar with it either, so there isn’t a Cafe Society mod we can delegate to this.)

If something happens that has back story that clearly isn’t going to be dealt with later in the TV show, it’s okay to answer questions about it. (Or should we start a third thread, “Ask you back-story questions about GoT here, spoilers ahoy”?)

But if in any doubt at all, pls. just use a spoiler box – it only takes a few seconds to code, and people can choose for themselves if they want to read them or not.

Thanks very much, all of you, for your cooperation with this.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator

Hmmm. Maybe I misremembered, or just had a mental image that didn’t match the text. Thanks.

He did ACT like a pretty boy young royal though, that’s probably why you got the idea.

Well, that’s odd…I looked up the actor based on that episode title, and his name is Owen Teale, but Game of Thrones isn’t listed in his credits. I swear it was him, though…

Anyone else know who I’m talking about? The man with the wild grey hair standing in the courtyard with Jon and the new recruits while they spar?

Edit: Oooh, was it Alliser Thorne? Damn my poor memory.

Yes, he was even more douchy in the books.

I was totally right! It is Owen Teale! Now I can sleep again.

Hard as it is to believe…

Whoa. Had you seen all the HBO loot?: HBO Shop

I don’t like the t-shirts. They’re too cartoonish, and the sigils are too big. I wish they had something a little more subtle.

I have a feeling that 10 episodes is not going to be enough. I want to spend a lot of time in this fictional world.

You knew it was already renewed for a second season, right?

Is the next season supposed to be another 10 and cover book two? Because I seem to recall that the books keep getting longer.

-Joe