garfunkelling

I think Al Franken Garfunkeled Davis.

Gail is right about Saturday Night Live. Beginning with Chevy Chase they have established a tradition of garfunkelling. Maybe it is a subliminal phenomenon that they had Paul Simon as a guest-host so often.

If you can gang-garfunkel, Bon Jovi did it.

By the OP’s definition, however, Judas abandoned him (ratted him out to Pilate) to pursue a more lucrative career (30 pieces of silver). It backfired, of course, with the whole messy death and christianity thingy, so Jesus ended up outfunkeling Judas. :slight_smile:

And, um, I think Paul Simon has done pretty well on his own. So maybe the verb isn’t quite right.

To garfunkel someone means, essentially, to “make an Art Garfunkel” out of that person or persons. It means (definition still in progress) to achieve a degree of success based on a partnership or teamwork, and then to abandon the team when greater opportunities present themselves, as when a solo career appears more lucrative.

Simon garfunkelled Garfunkel. This means that they split up after achieving fame as Simon and Garfunkel (originally Tom and Jerry, I believe) and Simon launched a successful solo career, leaving Garfunkel to look like a doofus failure. Part of the phenomenon of garfunkelling might be that the garfunkeled partner is left looking like they had ridden to fame on the garfunkeler’s coattails.

Remember that this is a loose definition and all suggestions are welcome.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney garfunkeled Ringo Starr and George Harrison?

No, George Harrison had a career. It’s Ringo that was garfunkeled- and that didn’t become clear until the late 1970’s.

While that is true, it see Ringo might have the last last. He’s still alive. You hear that Paul? Watch your back, ringo’s a’comin!

Last laugh, not last last. I’m an idiot, I know.

Eddie and Alex garfunkled David Lee, Sammy and that other guy, who wasn’t even around long enough for anybody to remember his name.

Gary, maybe.

My memory isn’t that extreme.