Gay guys, a question....

That’s interesting that you think that. IME, gay male culture is way more overtly sexual than straight male culture and often embraces the stereotype of men in general being sexually insatiable. If anything, I would think it’d go the other way around.

To (sort of) answer the question, I slide from 3 to 8 and back to 3 fairly regularly, personally. At any given time, I’m usually occupying one of those points, usually somewhere between 4 and 7. Some days or weeks, though, I feel really gay and I don’t really get the “daaayum” reaction to women. Then it comes right back and my appreciation for hot men becomes mostly aesthetic, until it swings back in the other direction.

I don’t think the OP deserves such a hard time over this, after all, in those kinds of threads wherein it is debated whether homosexuality is right/wrong/natural/unnatural/evil/holy in the sight of God, etc, it is not at all uncommon for people to identify as immutably and wholeheartedly homosexual. As far as I can tell, the OP was addressing that category of folks.

It seems that the determinative factor to the question of how hetero or homosexual you are is the likelihood of having a sexual encounter with the same or opposite gender. As others have said, it’s not uncommon for someone who self-identifies as completely heterosexual to recognize and admire someone of their own gender, but I don’t know that it means the person necessarily sexually fantasizes about that person.

I’ve never had a homosexual experience with another man nor have I had a desire to, so I guess technically I’d be considered completely heterosexual. But on plenty of occasions I’ve seen a man and have really enjoyed looking at him, or met someone and felt a real connection (a man crush?), but in none of those situations did I ever have a sexual desire for that person. Sometimes you see someone and you just can’t look away, something about that person is very captivating. But for me it has never approached the point of thinking about that person sexually.

On the other hand, I’ve seen women that are so captivating I can’t look away, and typically there has also been a sexual desire there, even if it’s only harmless fantasy. In addition, I’ve seen beautiful M/F couples and thought, man, I’d really like to watch them have sex. There’s something beautiful about watching two people, each of whom is quite the aesthetic specimen of their respective gender, in a sexual encounter. But I’ve never thought that about a man alone.

I think this whole post is off-topic. Sorry.

This whole topic seems a bit off to me. It’s the same thing as asking a straight guy if he ever saw a guy so good looking that he wanted to have sex with him. I cannot imagine your typical hetero guy answering in the affirmative. It seems like most people assume that there’s an actual choice involved. I mean, why would a gay guy be any more likely to sleep with a woman that for a straight guy to sleep with a man?

I was watching one of those Discovery Health shows about transgenderism and it made a claim that very often homosexuals, after aligning to their correct sex, will still be homosexual. Okay, that sounds weird. For example: Susan prefers women, but feels like Joe. Susan matches up her body parts to become Joe, but now prefers men. Susan/ Joe remains homosexual.

This made my brain hurt when I tried to “get it.” I figured people liked what they liked and that the terms we use, “homosexual,” “heterosexual,” whatever, are largely unwieldy terms we use to talk to others. I never considered that some people are just “homosexual,” in that they prefer the opposite gender to what they are, regardless of what gender they are.

I am not sure this relates to subject at hand, but it came to mind on reading the thread.

Gotta love the ad at the bottom, “How Gay is Your Husband?”

Really? Weird. I’ve got several transgender friends (pre and post op) and they all kept their preferences regardless of their genitalia. That is, the ones who liked women sexually kept liking women.

Does anyone have any links to this information? I’d like to learn more. I’m certainly prepared to believe that my small sample size is not representative.

Yeah, I’d heard the same as you, so I’m curious now as well. I’d heard that it’s identified differently. Er, that is, a man who likes other men and identifies as female might be considered gay by those around him, but when he becomes a woman, then he’s classified by society as heterosexual.

Yah. I was surprised at the statement. I saw it this Sunday on “Sex Change: Him to Her.” And I cannot find any information online to support the statement. I will have to see if I can catch it again.