Gay guys, a question....

I don’t think anyone was inferring that you’re anti-gay, just that your approach to this topic seems to be a little more simple than it possibly should be (i.e. outright dismissing Kinsey as irrelevant). A list of posts going “yes - no - no - yes” wouldn’t make for an interesting discussion, and I think there’s more to say on our answers than that in any event.

Checking wikipedia might be more hygienic. :wink: Kinsey put asexuals down as “x” and didn’t rank them on his famous scale. Also, Kinsey didn’t put you on a scale once and be done with it - your position on the scale could be different for different “periods” in your life. Makes sense to me.

Yes, of course. Anyone can look particularly hot.

No. Appreciating that someone looks hot doesn’t fall anywhere on the gay-straight scale. Not for me, anyway. I can also see a guy who is smokin’ hot, but not get a boner over it or anything.

I think I’m a Kinsey 6. Never had sex with a woman. Never actually wanted to.

I do occasionally find my attention grabbed by a particularly beautiful woman, but as has been mentioned, it’s an esthetic thing more than a sexual thing. In other words, give me an incredibly hot woman and I’ll watch her and listen to her voice and enjoy an attractive view. Give me an even mildly attractive man (who I have any reason to suspect shares my sexual orientation) and the hormones will kick in, “the game” will begin, and I’ll spend the next hour playing eye-games and flirting. There is a substantive difference in the reaction, even with an absolutely stunning woman.

I love it when people who insist on seeing the world in black and white get angry when it’s pointed out to them that there are innumerable shades of grey and even other colors out there that don’t fit into their blakc/white world view.

I think you’re a student of anthropology who flunked out of your 400 level research methods course.

Er, if you think that comment is stupid, and that people are either gay, straight or bi, then why did you ask the question to begin with?

I think that second paragraph is pretty bizarre. As if the heterosexuality is what should be happening, but it’s been trampled down by homosexuality. Hopefully, that’s not what you meant and maybe you could’ve just worded it a little better.

Nope, never seen a woman who I’ve wanted to have sex with…

I’ve actually been surprised when straight friends point out a woman that they think is “smoking hot”… I just don’t see it…

But like others in the thread have said, it’s totally different when it comes to men…

I can say “DAYUM!!!” about men several times a day just riding the subway in the morning! :smiley:

99% (never say never) straight female here. There are breathtakingly attractive women in this world. I can’t say I’ve ever wanted to “do” one of them, but I certainly recognize what might be termed “quality” without regard to gender. I don’t feel appreciation of a person’s attractiveness is necessarily sexual.

As a very gay (brilliant, gorgeous, sweet and unreasonably modest) friend once commented, about a woman I had brought up as being exceptionally attractive (Annie Lennox), “Yeah, she makes me regret never being able to combine our DNA.” Neither of us wanted to sleep with her, we were simply both aware of her appeal.

FTR – this was shortly after Louise What’s-her-name (the first Test Tube baby) birth and before artificial insemination was well known to non-Ag students. His comment would have been phrased differently if the conversation were to take place today.

This is something I can relate to. I can *almost *imagine myself being intimate with a woman, if I were a woman. But as a man? Never.

I’m a straight man, and I’ve thought the same thing.

Sure, there are some women who are that beautiful, or have great voices, or some other quality I find especially attractive in another human being. Rachel Maddow (for her smarts), Amanda Pays (for her voice), and Emma Thompson (for her smile and charm) are three that immediately leap to mind.

…but I don’t find them attractive in the “I want to have sex with them” kind of way, which is implied by the phrase “some heterosexuality.” Is this a problem experienced by straight guys? If you see an attractive man, do you have to think of it in terms of your sexuality? Just seems… kinda odd to me.

(In fact, I’m mildly offended by the phrase * does some heterosexuality still live within you or is it all gay*, with its implication that at one time I was completely heterosexual until I was, oh, I don’t know, “infected” by the gay and my inherent heterosexuality was slowly killed off and replaced, like some kind of “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” pod person.)

On the scale I’m a 6. I can appreciate when a woman is beautiful, and I will look at her and think, “Damn, she’s really pretty/sexy”, but it does nothing to arouse me. I get no erection in the slightest.

I have a best friend who is a girl, and she’s been naked around me before. Didn’t do a thing for me, and she’s very pretty with big breasts to boot. She wants to get a breast reduction in the near future.

Nice list, wheresgeorge04; it would seem to cover all the bases pretty thoroughly. I’d place myself at around 8.7 or 9.3 on the continuum, and, to answer the OP: yeah, I can definitely appreciate a hot woman aesthetically, and even entertain the odd moment of mild, mostly theoretical attraction. However, my ideal of an attractive woman is somewhat slightly idiosyncratic.

The real moments of confusion occur when I see a nice-looking butch lesbian and think something like “Wow, she’d be one fine looking man; I could definitely go for that.” It happens – there’ve even been a couple of times I’ve momentarily mistaken a mannish girl for a smooth-faced, slight-built man and had a flash of the old “He-ey, daddy!” until I twigged to what she had up in front.

This is a really good point that I don’t see often made, though it jives with my own experiences. Being gay doesn’t just mean acting like a heterosexual with the same sex. There’s a whole different dynamic between same sex partners than there is between opposite sex partners, whether you’re talking about the physical intimacy or the emotional intimacy. One of my great frustrations is that while I find men more attractive than women*, it’s only with women that I can have the kind of relationship I enjoy. If I could be a gay man with another man, I’d probably be happy, but I’m rarely satisfied being “the girl” with a guy. It’s nothing against guys. It’s just a different dynamic on every level.

• On wheresgeorge04’s scale, if I flipped it around for a woman, I’d probably be a 4.

I’m aware of when women are hot and can certainly appreciate the aesthetics of such women.

But no, that doesn’t translate into their being any heterosexuality in me. I have no interest in a romantic or sexual relationship with any woman. (Though I must say I find the ‘still live within you’ line a bit offensive, there was never any in me to begin with)

I echo the sentiments from my brothers on here :slight_smile:

I can appreciate beautiful women, be it classic beauty or otherwise. Hell, my first thought when I saw a picture of Palin is “that’s the naughty librarian that guys would want to screw”.

But, no interest sexually. I’d be much more likely to want to go shop with them.

I’m a straight girl, and an attractive guy will catch my eye much more often than an attractive girl will.

OTOH, there have been a few times when I’ve see a girl and been blown away by how beautiful she was. It isn’t really a sexual thing (more of an aesthetic reaction), but once I see a girl like that it’s hard to take my eyes off her.

I didn’t want to be a lesbian . . . I wanted k.d. lang to be a guy.

That’s utter insanity. I’m pansexual and have had satisfying sexual and romantic experiences with both men and women. Don’t be a bigot.