GE Profile oven buzzing

I have a GE Profile model JTP13 electric built-in 30"oven from about 1995 that will start loudly buzzing after 20 minutes of operation, whether it is still actively baking or broiling, or whether it was turned off and is already starting to cool down. This problem started after a recent attempt to self-clean it that froze up the oven and required us to hit the breaker and reset it. My questions are:

1. Do I need to worry about this problem in the short term (i.e. is it a fire hazard or an indicator the oven is getting ready to die?) The oven otherwise operates normally now other than the noise. We have not tried to self clean again.

2. What is the likely source of this problem and is it something the average person can reasonably replace themselves, or does it require a technician?

3. An equivalent replacement oven can be purchased and installed for about $1,100 on sale. Given the age of the unit and any risk/headache associated with an attempted repair and replacement parts costs assuming you identified the likely source in (2) above correctly, should it just be replaced? That is, any replacement part is likely a guess based on what I have described. Given that, if I have to buy parts totaling more than about $200 and hope that is the real source of the problem, I’m inclined to go the replacement route. $1,100 won’t kill me, but if the answer to (1) is “no big deal”, I’d rather wait for some small windfall of money (e.g. Christmas bonus/ tax return) rather than purchase it now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated…

It is likely that one of the contact switches is faulty - you did mention some incident with the oven. Troubleshooting it will require extensive testing - unless you can find on the internet that it is a very common problem.

An average guy who is proficient with the use of multimeters and understands temperature and contact switches should be able to fix it - however - many different parts may have gone bad and you’ll have to do some investigative fixing. Parts are not cheap and if you live in a small town, you’ll have to buy them from the internet.

I would call the GE service technician - ask him to diagnose the problem (pay for the diagnosis) and then go ahead and fix the issue by yourself. This probably will be the cheapest solution.

Is this the over the range convection/microwave thing? We have one of those things. It has been one of the biggest lemons we have ever bought. Do a google search for your model number and you’ll probably find lots of other owners who have had the same issue.

am77494- I will probably have to call the GE technician. My fear is that their price just to diagnose it, plus the cost of the parts will exceed my reasonable cost expectations such that I’d probably be better off just getting a new one.

leftfield6 - No, my problem is with the built in electric oven as my post stated, NOT the microwave. Although, I noticed that problem detailed in numerous posts everywhere I looked in a Google search, so I got the message loud and clear - don’t buy a GE microwave…

I have a Jenn-Air/Maytag dual-fuel, dual-oven range, and one day my husband turned on one of the ovens to preheat and there was a terrible loud buzz and then an extremely loud zap. Lo and behold, the top element had arced out or something (I’m no 'lectrician) and burned clean through the element. The husband ordered a new element, but either the initial failure or my husband’s subsequent attempt to repair it trashed some part of the control panel for the ovens and we ended up paying over $200 for a new one.

I don’t know if that’s your problem, but it’s the first thing I thought of. In our case we think the burn-through was caused by grease on the element (somebody cooked bacon under it :dubious:), so it might be worth disconnecting the power to the stove, then disconnecting the element and inspecting it. The elements are usually fairly cheap to replace (less than $50), so if you see anything suspicious it might be worth ordering a new element.

We’ve got a really old Maytag wall oven that buzzes loudly at random times when we’re using it. A little “PROBE TEMP” light comes on when the buzzing starts. It doesn’t seem to help to adjust the dial beside that light - the only thing that stops the noise is opening the oven and smacking a round bit on the right side. Sometimes repeatedly. Every few minutes.

Cooking is fun at my house.

I feel your pain, OP, and I wish I could help. All I can tell you is that my oven buzzes a ton and seems to have a faulty temperature probe, so maybe you can look into that?

I’d replace my oven but it’s old enough to not be a current standard size (according to the guy who gave us an estimate on a new kitchen) so a new oven wouldn’t fit in the hole. Gotta wait till I re-do the whole kitchen so I can buy a regular stove with an oven in it and scrap the tiny wall oven.

Thanks Sudden Kestrel - I’ll check out the element, although if that’s the problem, wouldn’t it buzz right away? Why the 20 minute delay in my case?

I figure at this point, it might be worth scheduling a GE technician to look at it, and seeing what they recommend, then replacing it myself. Or if that replacement is too complicated of a process, deal with the buzzing and wait for it to die, assuming it’s not a fire hazard. I don’t own a multimeter or any electrical tools beyond some very basic wire strippers, ties, etc., so if it involves anything like that, I am going to disqualify myself from being able to fix it. If the problem if strictly mechanical and involves removal and replacement of a component, and maybe 2-3 wires, that I can certainly do. My hope had been I would get a response of “oh, buzzing always indicates a faulty element - purchase a new one and replace it”, as was suggested by Sudden Kestrel, but it sounds like that may be one of a dozen $50+ dollar parts I might have to buy to test it.

I can’t help diagnose the problem but I have a similar model (don’t have the manual handy to check the model number), GE Profile 1995, that has not had this problem. However, the control panel is an integrated touch panel, so it doesn’t sound like a DIY job. When I had an electrical problem with my dishwasher control panel, also a GE Profile, it could only be repaired by replacing the entire panel and this was such an expensive repair we just bought a new dishwasher instead.

The oven door is supposed to be locked up during self cleaning and subsequent cooling…for several hours total…on GE self clean ovens. How long did you wait?

I don’t know any thing about the buzzing. Check for loose components while the oven is cool. You will probably need a repair technician or else tolerate the noise as long as the oven still functions okay.

Enlightening Mediation - yes, I am aware of the door being locked several hours, but the entire panel started flashing, showing error codes, which unfortunately I didn’t write down, and appeared to be continuing to heat up at which point my wife freaked out and thought the whole unit was going to burn itself up and the house down, so I hit the breaker to kill it. We decided we would never self clean it again at that point. Then the buzzing started, although it does not display error codes at any time now. I am aware I could probably replicate the problem by trying a self clean and hitting the breaker again, but for fear that a second go around might be enough to kill it, I’d rather not experiment.

I’ll check for the loose components but I seriously doubt I’ll recognize anything as being ‘obviously loose’ such that it will be the source of the problem. In my mind, that sort of thing would cause constant buzzing and not do it periodically, like what I am experiencing.

Beats the heck out of me, and himself isn’t here for me to ask now. AFAIAC, electricity is magic.

After reading your further description of the problem you had when cleaning the oven, I think the GE tech is a good idea. That sounds scary, and magic isn’t a good thing to mess around with if you don’t have the skills. Does your energy company (gas or electric) have a service plan? We paid a few dollars a month for one when we lived in the city and our gas company offered it, and they came out and fixed our stove at no charge when it decided to have only 2 flame heights, Off and Bye-Bye Eyebrows.

Agreed on the ‘electricity is magic’ thing.

I’ve never heard of this energy company service plan you speak of. Frankly, I’m surprised the electric supplier would open themselves up to servicing and taking any of the liability for a product (like a shitty GE oven) that they themselves did not manufacture, but it definitely sounds like a great deal if SDG&E ever offers it in San Diego. I spoke with a friend of mine who is far more handy and knowledgeable in electrical matters than I am. We agreed on him coming over in the coming days to take a look at it, and if he couldn’t figure it out, then we’re calling the GE technician, assuming his diagnosis fees are affordable (i.e. less than $200). If not, then we will likely just live with it and get a new one at the Sears scratch and dent outlet at Christmas.

I’m surprised they don’t, but Californy are weird when it comes to utility issues. Before WWII, my grandfather was one of the technicians working for Minnegasco (now CenterPoint). They’d install and service furnaces, and I suppose eventually somebody asked if the gas man could take a look at the icebox, and there ya go, ServicePlus was born. Maybe you could relentlessly mock SDG&E for being outdone by a utility in Flyoverland until they institute something similar :D.

The service benefits were great but the best part was that they also sold furnaces and air conditioners (and maybe stoves?). We were able to put central air in our old house and make the payments on our gas bill. Saved my life, it did, on those days when it got above 75 degrees.

Sudden Kestrel - obviously you are unaware that the state bird of California is the lawyer. Let me set this up for you:

1. you buy a house with a horrendously old stove, water heater, etc. and agree to all the paperwork saying it is your responsibility to replace it as part of the purchase, but you don’t.

2. horrendously old appliance acts up, so you call the hypothetical mega-utility company to service it.

3. The service representative shows up and either laughs at you and tells you to replace it, or being a nice guy, does what he can to possibly fix your 1950s era carbon-monoxide/exploding deathtrap.

4. You leave your child/grandma/dog in an unventilated room with said appliance and hilarity ensures when it explodes/leaks.

5. It being California, none of this is your fault and you relied on the mega-utility to help you. Oh, but the service representative laughed at you? Or worse, tried to help anyway? Well, he either shamed you into killing your child/grandma/dog, or else he was directly responsible by agreeing to help against his better judgment. Hell, your lawyer will say that because the service rep showed up at all, he knew or should have known that the appliance was a deathtrap and should have taken extraordinary measures to prevent your own stupidity. Now mega-utility gets to pay for your bad choices.

Hence, why we will never have this in California. :slight_smile:

Ah, I see. When the lawyers act up here, we just make them sue the tobacco companies again.