Geekiness in the workplace

Veritech?

Would that be the VF-1A, VF-1S, VF-1J, or the VF-1 Armored

At the coffee station in the lab someone posted the “It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion” thing for a while, and I bet not many people recognized that.

There’s an outbox in the engineering department’s mail room that’s labeled “TPS Reports”.

Our IT guy is the Anti-Geek. I was sitting next to him at a particularly long and annoying employee meeting. As our eyes were rolling out of my head during the marketing presentation, I leaned over and muttered “why oh why didn’t I take the blue pill?” He looked confused and asked me if that was some sort of movie reference.

Oh well.

I’m so ungeeky…

[How ungeeky are you?]

I’m so ungeeky, I didn’t even know servers HAD names! Do they come when they’re called? :confused:

It’s a little startling to encounter a non-geeky technical person, isn’t it? In the last place I worked we had a VP of engineering who honestly didn’t understand the reference to “warp speed” that someone used during a presentation.

That depends on your level of access.

But yeah, every computer on a network, including servers, needs a unique identifier so that they can talk to each other properly. Huge corporations use boring things like “ca-oak3-f15” that follow some sort of standard naming convention. This hypothetical example would be shorthand for, “Oakland, CA, office #3, 15th floor”. Whereas a video game companies tend to name their computers all kinds of obscure geeky things.

What’s wrong with Medusa? I LIKE Medusa!

Our company’s geeky, too. We’re engineers – we’re supposed to be Geeks.

We have a winner!

Actually, not being into the newer Star Treks, I figured the OP’s server name was “beta zed”, making it the 50th server (Greek then Roman letter), with a British flair.

Our IT guy named all the Mac wireless airports like this.