Geeky Things You Have Done: I'm Guilty

OK, today I purchased a John Denver cd and I’m Not Proud Of It. I WILL admit I’m a geek, but I’m sure there’s geekier acts out there in the SDMB community.

C’mon, 'fess up to Geekdom folks. What’ve ya done recently that adds you to the DagList? Wear the badge (at least semi-proudly) and publicly!

Dag’s Unite…we are a force to be reckoned with.

OK, I can top that. Last week, I purchased a CD which I thought was a John Denver “Greatest Hit” album. A double album, no less. It was on sale for a ridiculous amount, so I met extra super sure to check if it wasn’t a cover CD or something. Sure enough, on the bottom of the back of the case, it said “All songs produced and sung by John Denver”. Hey, this is the real thing!

Wrong.

It’s a bloody cover CD. I guess “All songs produced and sung by John Denver” really means “All songs produced and sung by John Denver [sup][sub]at some point in the very distant past, and certainly not on THIS compilation, you gullible fucker!![/sub][/sup]”. Gaaaah!!!

Hmmmm. OK, that’s more of a stupid thing than a geek thing, but there you go.

And what’s a “Dag”?

A “Dag” is a bit of a sad geek.

dag

Not something I’ve done but something I will do. I shall buy the LOTR DVD when it comes out in August. And then buy the other one when it comes out … whenever it does. Maybe I’ll sell the older one to a used place. I can’t help myself!

I’m not sure that it’s geeky, but it’s daggy alright:

I recently wore socks and sandles. I was just popping out to the letterbox and my toes were cold. I’m sure no one saw me.

I’m so ashamed.

There’s no shame in owning John Denver.

If you ever run across his double-disc WildLife concert, buy it, it rocks (well, technically it doesn’t rock, I guess I should’ve said it folks).

I got caught wearing bedsocks and sandals… way worse than normal socks :slight_smile:

Mr Goo won’t let me do the grocery shopping in ugg boots anymore. I think working in Sydney is starting to have an effect on him. I’d do it if it wasn’t for him, so while I’m not too geeky, I do like to express my inner dag.

Mr Goo’s the biggest geek though. His PC had been up for 209 days and he was proud of that ! He was upset when there was a power outage that cut his streak short.

I just thought of another one that may get me killed. If I don’t post for several days, you’ll know why :wink: Mr Goo’s first “nick” on the internet is hilarious. It was in a cable-support environment, but I don’t think that excuses it. “Techman” ahahahaha. He chose that as his nick : Techman. hehehehe it still kills me :smiley:

I am sooooo dead

Techman!
ppffffffffffffffft… :smiley:

I was far too happy when I found a copy of Webster’s Concise Encyclopedia in a used bookstore.

When my classwork ends this semester, what I’m really looking forward to is the chance to curl up with two or three books. I’m already planning to get Mary Karr’s Cherry, Culture Shock! India and an Irish novel whose name and author I have lost but will track down if it kills me.

I took a correspondance course in Number Theory for fun.

I learned to use a slide rule. It was keen.

[sub]Of course I can’t remember any of it now. Sigh.[/sub]

I WANT to learn how to use one, but it’s been hard to find a good one that’s also inexpensive.

After a friend told me he was going to be in Minneapolis, I got excited and said “Oh, wow! Maybe you can go and take the tour of the Mystery Science Theater 3000’s old office!” <<blank stare>>

A couple days ago, I ordered an Olivia Newton-John’s greatest hits CD (Volume 2!).

I will play it often, and sing along proudly. :slight_smile:

Sheri

I have a Pfaltzgraf Star Trek coffee mug in my office. One side has the emblem that they wore on their shirts in thr original series, and the other says “USS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-A”.

My boss complimented me on it and I knew then that I had advanced my geek cred considerably.

I’m sorry folks. I win, hands down.

I’m a bit of a Buffy fan. Mr. Kitty had to purchase a separate receiver so I could watch Buffy in the other room, as I was driving him mad. I write Buffy fanfic, I host other’s fic on my website. But I couldn’t just limit my obsession there.

I have spent the past ( ::calculating quickly:: ) 5 months hand-sewing a king-size quilt for Anthony Stewart Head. It was supposed to be a birthday quilt, but I’m running a bit late (it’ll go out in the post this week). I won’t even go into how much money I’ve spent on it. I’ve delayed working on my PARENT’s wedding quilt to work on ASH’s quilt.

I am truly pathetic.

::hanging head in shame::

I proved that the volume of a sphere is (4/3)[pi]r**3.

I’m writing a decryption routine to try and decipher those cryptoquote thingies in the newspaper. I am interested in cryptography and really need to hone my VB skills so I thought what the heck…

NP: Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories

JavaSlide. Not the same, I know, but it’s very reasonably priced. :wink:

Signed,
Podkayne
(Who has her Papa’s old A. W. Faber Castell. Neener Neener.)

Hmm, I don’t think I do any geeky things. I spend most of my free time playing pool or playing with my dogs. I have read math texts for fun. I have one on topology and another on number theory and another on model theory. Worked through parts of all of them but I have the attention span of a hamster on speed so I never finish any of them.

bobkitty, are you really gonna send that quilt to Giles? I’m so jealous. Can you take a pic so we can see what it looks like at least?