General Questions has been renamed to Factual Questions

Is that a factual question?

Sounds like a good move. I imagine that I’ll still be referring to it as GQ, though.

No, that would be Factual Ass-Questions. Totally different.

And shortly to be announced?

A New Forum:

Non-factual Questions

Sounds like a thread game.

That’s funny!

While I have no problem with the name change, I have to admit it would be way down on the list of things to change to make the board friendlier to new users or make this place better for everyone overall. I hadn’t realized posting non-factual questions was a major problem on the board.

Considering all the times I reported threads that belonged in IMHO, it has been.

I don’t think I’ve ever flagged a GQ post. Obviously, when they put the word factual in bold in the description a few years back, it didn’t work. Maybe this will solve the problem. If not, we can move on to electric shock. I’m looking forward to that one. :smiley:

I wouldn’t call it a major problem but it came up during a discussion and it was a quick and easy change to make.

Do you have a list of topics ready to post?

Language pedant that I am, I have always been annoyed by the term “factual question” in the description of the GQ forum. Questions can have factual answers, but can a question be factual?

Now I’m even more annoyed. :grin:

Nobody asked me, which is why the world is in the current state. But I digress…

I think it, “Seeking Factual Answers” would have been a better choice. Also, “SFA” has a nice ring to it.

I think the new name is fine, especially since the moderation isn’t going to change. There have been the occasional pedants in the past who’ve insisted that a “Factual Question” is one that has a single, definitive answer – e.g. “What’s the capitol of Idaho?” That standard would make for a stupefying forum.

Maybe we should just call it Stuff I Tried to Google

Considering all the new users whose posts I have moved, and tried to gently inform then that their request for advice was being moved to IMHO, I’d say it was a problem, if not a major one.

As engineer_comp_geek points out, it happens to be a problem that is very easy to address.

Heck, I’ve reported many GQ threads/topics started by people who aren’t newbies that were clearing asking for opinions.

More accurately, “Stuff I Should Have Googled”

“Stuff I should have Googled before starting this stupid thread.”

I didn’t want to insult the newbies, but this one is closer.

Needs a better acronym.