Generation Divider

And once again I have to come up with some excuse why I’m laughing out loud at work. You guys crack me up.

Thank you, tomndebb, that was exactly what I needed. Neither of us really wins the argument though. He’s born in '76, and I’m in '75, so we were trying to nail down which generation we’re in. And those are the exact years that are vague.

Anyway, it was this kind of argument: “There’s no way I’m generation Y, but you must be!” so it’s not exactly important.

What generation are you if people always try to put you down?

Well, You’re talking 'bout my generation

Muh-muh-muh-muh…

Late teens? Seriously, I’ve heard that from every teenager of every generation I’ve been aware of (for the record, I’m a clueless, out-of-touch, putting-down 41 YO father of a 13 YO daughter). Being ‘put down’ is more a part of growing into adulthood and establishing who you are than it is part of a particular generation. I recall having the same feeling of being put down for who I was (or wasn’t in high school), and that was in the late 70s.

Relevant lyrics:

People try to put us d-down (talkin’ ’bout my generation)
People try to put us d-down (talkin’ ’bout my generation)
Just because we get around (talkin’ ’bout my generation)
Just because we get around (talkin’ ’bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (talkin’ ’bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (talkin’ ’bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (talkin’ ’bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (talkin’ ’bout my generation)

-The Who, My Generation, 1965

Vlad/Igor

I had a conversation about this with my mom and her friends recently. They all felt that the big dividing line between boomers and non-boomers was being old enough to be drafted into Vietnam - primarily for males of course, though girls were also strongly affected by this. This would make the line being born in 1954 or maybe in 1955, when my mother was born. She also grew up in small town where few boys got deferrments, so she knew several 19 or 20 year old boys who died there - and around the time she graduated high school was the time when all the social changes which had been going on elsewhere for several years had finally caught up to her hometown.

I never identified with generation x or y, or anything like that. That is simply a marketing term for me.

I was born in '83…I seem to recall the term “echo generation” being used for my generation. I guess that term fell out of vogue?