Generosity And The Cop

Cops recieve a lack of respect much of the time. I would like to point out something that occurred in my neighborhood today. It snowed last night, again. Today, with the temperatures in the 20s, on a Sunday, was a good chance to clear out the snow before a predicted temperature drop over the next few days.
A cop who lives in my neighborhood attached a plow to the front of an a.t.v., and plowed many sidewalks. He also drove down the street asking people if they would like help clearing their driveways.
Thanks Officer Anonymous!

Good news doesn’t grab us like horrifying news does, though it means a lot in the immediate and sometimes even more in the long run.

Thanks for letting me “see” a good person doing a good thing, and that you appreciated it.

While we’re at it:

Back when my son was little, he used to love all things cops. One day we we’re walking out of the grocery store and there was a cop car parked right out front. My son wanted to go over and look inside the window. As we were doing so, an LEO walks up behind us and asks if he could be of any assistance.

After explaining my son’s love for all things cops, the officer let my kid sit in the front seat and he even let him turn the siren on! (very briefly) The boy couldn’t stop talking about that for two weeks straight.

Obviously you don’t understand he’s casing the homes for future burglaries, and clearing escape paths!

Hey, you want to see a kind cop?
This is a kind-cop story-----but with a sad, sad ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4h_2vBVwUA

(summary:A child at McDonald’s finds that he doesnt have enough money–so he asks a cop standing next to him in line for 10 cents, so he can buy some cookies. The cop doesn’t give him 10 cents–he buys the cookies for the kid. Then he steps out into the parking lot where a gunfight occurs and the cop is killed in the line of duty-- his final act in life having been the kind deed for the kid.)

Well that’s depressing :frowning:

I remember back when I was 18 or 19 a few of my friends and I found a bar that for no reason we could determine never carded us and let us by drinks. It wasn’t in a great area for walk up traffic and just seemed to be happy for the business.

About our third or fourth time there a middle aged guy walked up to our table with a beer for each of us and another for himself and sat down. After a little small talk he gave us all a very level headed speech about drinking responsibly, the importance of one of us staying straight enough to drive safe, that sort of thing.

It was kind of impressive, we were all borderline punks and not prone to appreciate a civics lesson but they guys tone and over all attitude got the message across that actually had it’s desired, positive impact. The fact he gave us each a beer helped.

A few months later I was watching the local news and they were interviewing a cop on the scene of some sort of happening and son of a gun, the guy who bought us a beer and talked turkey to a couple young punks was a cop.

Can’t say that’s the reason I’ve never had a DUI but it is part of it.

I’ve never had a bad experience with a cop. I’m a biker, I used to live in BFA, and I’m female. A perfect tirade for getting raped in the back seat of a cop car, according to all the movies and books.

Never, ever happened. Every LE officer I’ve ever met has been polite and as friendly as possible in the situation.

I do have a story about a churlish cop, though. I used to have a very old Triumph Spitfire. It had the standard, extremely reliable Lucas electrical system.*

So, one day, when my car was being rather unreliable when parked down hill, I had to deliver a heavy box to a library. I drove on the library lawn because it was the only flat place and a cop showed up behind me. I looked all happy, waved and told him that I was happy that he was here because he could help me move the box. Churl that he was, he leaned out from the window and said “I only wanted to tell you to not run over the sprinklers.” Then he drove off.

*Do you know why British bikers drink warm beer? Its because Lucas made refrigerators too.

Exactly right. This is why our media outlets don’t report much of this - which can result in a false imagery of how bad and negative the world is. It’s a combination of both but a steady diet of “negative” is dangerous.

Yup. You see the cell phone video of the rough arrest, or the inappropriate email a cop accidentally sent to all of his coworkers. You hear about inappropriate behavior, because it’s news. And rightly so. But what kind of reporter has the time to film a 12-hour shift, and edit that into a 90-second package for the six o’clock news, so that we can all see the small courtesies and kindnesses that make up a large part of that shift?

I know lots of cops. I married one, and one of my oldest friends is another. The others whom I consider friends are good people. I don’t hang around with the creeps or the politicians. Even the ones closest to me don’t brag directly about their good deeds. When my husband calls to see whether we have $x.xx to spare in checking, it’s because someone needed a meal, or some gas, or a motel room for the night, maybe a tire. When I scour the internet for a presentation case, it’s for the late k9’s badge, which went to the little disabled boy who loved that dog, and had a ride around the block every time it could be managed. When the old friend takes up a collection while we’re all sitting around the bonfire with a beer, it’s for the diner waitress who was red-eyed and sniffling, because she couldn’t get to her mother’s funeral. None of these men or women are saints, but there are plenty of kind, generous people wearing badges around here.

A few years ago, when my Grandpa was in his late 70s, he managed to crash his car somewhat spectacularly- a solo crash, where he decided to go straight when the motorway did not. He somehow managed to only crack a few ribs, despite crashing at over 80mph and taking both sides off the car.

Initially, as no-one else was involved, there wasn’t going to be any legal follow up- but the policeman who’d been first on the scene, who said he thought no-one could have survived on seeing the wreckage, decided to come round and check up on Grandpa. My aunt was there, and let the guy know that we’d all been sort of hoping that Grandpa’d lose his licence over it, as his driving was getting terrifying. It’d been very obvious for a while that he was going to have an accident and it was only sheer luck that he hadn’t injured anyone else (or himself badly), but we couldn’t persuade him to give it up.

After much discussion, (and a few more visits, some off duty) the guy managed to pull the strings so Grandpa was banned from driving for 5 years due to dangerous driving, rather than taking his licence on medical grounds, specifically so he wouldn’t feel like he’d permanently lost it, which we knew would really upset him.

It was very obvious Grandpa would never pass a driving test, so everyone else knew the loss was going to be permanent, but it let him hold on to the illusion that it was only temporary for the rest of his life- when he died 7 years later, my mother found the test fee set aside in a labelled envelope, which is kind of sad, but much, much better than spending the last few years knowing that he was never going to drive again.

That policeman really didn’t have to do that.

:slight_smile:

Lucas, Prince of Darkness.