George Steinbrenner has died

astorian dealt with that two paragraphs later. They had a great history but were not a good team at the time.

This is pretty much wrong on all counts. Baseball doesn’t have a true salary cap. It has a luxury tax, which means that teams with a payroll over a certain amount have to pay a percentage back to MLB. Going over that amount is not in any way “cheating.” Is it taking advantage of the wealth of New York? Sure. But that doesn’t make it cheating. And while you’re complaining about the amount of money the Yankees pay their players, think about how much they’re giving to the other teams (including some other owners who had more money than Steinbrenner but were cheap or incompetent) in revenue sharing.
And while he did flaunt it, I think the word you want is “flouted.”

1. The luxury tax started in 2003.

So? Much as I’m tempted to point out that a bunch of their best players came through the farm system (Jeter, Williams, Rivera, Pettitte, Cano, Hughes), that’s not really the issue. Winning a championship is winning a championship, and the way you do that is by hiring the right staff and having them put together the right group of players. You can do that by spending a lot of money or a little.

Which makes them unique among baseball teams. I’m shocked, shocked.

It’s also been pretty good for the Yankees and their fans, and don’t forget what it’s done for the players and for that matter the other owners. That’s not to minimize any downside,

RIP Boss. You did good things for the team.

Of course The Onion can be counted upon: George Steinbrenner dead after firing under-performing heart.

It is worth noting that the Yankees were a footnote before he bought them, then he was the first to truly take advantage of the free agency. BUT THEN his meddling made the team irrelevant practically for 15 years. From 1981 to 1996 they did not win a single AL East title. Then when they finally let the farm develop talent Posada, Rivera, Jeter, Petite then the team became good again.

Clearly he was hugely influential, probably the most influential owner in any sport ever in the US. But rekindling the Yannkee mystique and success took decades of missteps to finally figure it out.

I don’t see where he cheated. It would have been cheating if he hadn’t payed the luxury tax.

Every championship team consists of players that were acquired. Are you suggesting that he should have refrained from signing players that he wanted? You know, just to give other teams a chance? Am I being whooshed?

First of all, Giambi was never on a championship team (unless you meant the AL championship). Secondly, there is no evidence that any Yankee took steroids when they were actually on the Yankees. Thirdly, regardless of the evidence, every player took some PED or other during those years. This includes Jeter and Pujols too. Many just didn’t get caught. I know points 2 and 3 contradict each other. But if you’re going by evidence, the Yankees are innocent. If you’re going by common sense, no one is.

Great for George, but also great for Yankee fans (we love titles), New York (pride, economic benefits, etc.), all MLB players (higher salaries), baseball in general (higher salaries help draw more talent), other MLB teams (the recipients of the luxury tax money).

I’ve always agreed that the rules should be changed to allow for a more level playing field. But until then, I hope Hank and Hal continue the excellent work of their dad.

Depending on how you feel about the Yankees and The Big Stein, he’s now either in Heaven threatening to fire God for underperformance, or he’s in Hell and has just received the ultimate promotion.

Well, I wish I could say the same, but I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves you have made with this fine organization. In the past twenty years, you have caused myself, and the city of New York, a good deal of distress as we have watched you take our beloved Yankees and reduced them to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of your massive ego.

It was interesting to see the ESPN pretty much gave itself over to coverage of the Boss today.

Mike Lupica had an interesting quote today, “Only Steinbrenner could upstage the All Star Game.”

I was flipping around and the Mets’ network pre-empted there programming (Boxing) to cover his passing. Needless to say YES (Yankees) was wall to wall coverage.

How’s life in 1990? :wink:

Wow, Rush does not know when to shut up. He said "that cracker made a lot of African American millionaires’. Then added, " he knew when to die, there are no estate taxes right now’.
cringe

Actually, in 1973 the Yanks hadn’t won the pennant since all the way back in 1964. They hadn’t finished as high as second since 1970, when they won 93 games. However did Yankee fans endure such long-suffering? :rolleyes:

When King George bought them they weren’t terrible, they were average, having gone 82-80 in '71, 79-76 in '72 and 80-82 in '73.

I was just thinking that combined, George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard symbolized pretty much anything that anyone could love or hate about the Yankees: success, drive, imperiousness, self-celebration, class, pomposity, vulgarity, and history.

It tells you a lot about someone when he complains about the race of people getting big contracts. This was obscene, even by LimpBalls’ standards. Personally, I hope Rush’s heirs get a tax-free estate as well.

Seinfeld speaks out on Steinbrenner

Rush is such a complete ass. It is a shame his racist crap is allowed on the air. It is a much bigger shame his shtick makes him popular.

I am not a Yankees fan. Aside from my uncle and a few of the people I work with, most Yankees fans are insufferable twits who deserve to have a Louisville Slugger corked up their ass.

But Steinbrenner was the King, today is a sad day for baseball.

Died of a heart attack? Well, I guess he really did have a heart.

Indeed he did. He gave to many charities and sponsored many good causes, and for the most part did so without drawing any attention to himself.

The NYC Seinfeld rerun last night was the one where they thought George had died and Steinbrenner went to tell his parents. Very funny and appropriate.

That’s also the Jackie Childs episode with Sue Ellen Mishkie and the bra. Since Childs is a Johnny Cochran clone, it has two tributes in it. Also has the best closing line, when Sue Ellen tries on the bra:

Jackie Childs: Trying on a bra over a leotard. Of course it’s not going to fit. A bra has to fit close to the skin…like a glove."