Georgia's Guidestones get partially blown up!

I put this in Cafe Society because John Oliver covered them last month in a free web exclusive.

JohnOliver:

There’s a whole satanic theory around them, and there’s a gubernatorial candidate saying she would tear them down, so I guess somebody decided to take actions into their own hands this morning.

Moderators feel free to move…

I don’t know why everyone is deliberately burying the lead here where the George Guidestones were put up by a very open White Supremacist.

I thought it wasn’t known who put them up?

In any event, I can’t say I’m surprised by this.

Cite?

See the aforementioned John Oliver webcast. His show’s researchers found someone who was trying to make a documentary about the stones and got the builder to 'fess up to who had ordered and paid for them.

Well, the clip cuts off before saying anything about the who the creator was, but googling around, the documentary referenced was created by the director of such works as “Harry Potter: A Spirit Conspiracy” and “Ancient Illuminati: Riddles in Stone.” Not that I’m defending the stones here, but when that’s the only source I wouldn’t put too much stock into it.

An article from a few months ago:

Only two individuals on the entire planet know the identify of R.C. Christian. The first, Wyatt Martin, was an Elberton banker who acted on behalf of Christian during the construction of the stones. Martin refused to disclose the real identity of Christian, citing a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ made in 1979. The second man, now deceased, was contractor Joe Fendley who worked with Christian when building the monument. He was just as elusive when it came to disclosing Christian’s identity. And since Christian himself has allegedly passed away, there’s zero possibility the mysterious man will ever reveal his real identity to the public.

Try the full episode.

I think about a Facebook from an older cousin of mine from a few years ago where she talked about how “scary” they are. She lives in a demon-haunted world where Satan is real and literal demonic forces are hiding in every corner. (And she loves her some Trump.)

Yeah, thanks for posting that, I hadn’t realized the one I posted was truncated.

That’s a shame, and anybody who’d use violence on ideas will use them on human beings. I hope an arrest is imminent.

That said, if they’d been hit by lightning or disappeared down a sinkhole I would only shrug. They really aren’t that interesting. I once considered making the 3-hour trip to see them, but a shorter trip to better outsider proclamation art is the work of Howard Finster at the High Museum in Atlanta.

You might find this of interest.

The idea of it as some kind of deeply frightening satanic monument is pretty funny. I thought it sounded like a bunch of vapid advice from some rich eugenicist asshole who had probably just read The Population Bomb. Nobody would pay to hear anything that useless so some guy had to pay for it to be carved in stone instead.

I can gift a link from the NYT:

Whatever they were, they are destroyed now. Concerning the rest left standing

“for safety reasons,” the remaining pillars had been “completely demolished.”

They seem to have been destroyed for ridiculous reasons. I guess that gives them more visibility now, for a short time at least. Come to think of it, it is probably John Oliver’s fault in a convoluted way.

I blame Hagbard Celine.

I don’t know anything about them. Should I be happy or sad they were destroyed?

About their existence, per se, I don’t think there’s much to feel: Some crazy old coot came up with some crazy life advice and decided to enshrine it “forever” on some big rocks, and everyone but him pretty much just ignored them.

About the fact that someone is violently attacking them, yeah, that’s something we should maybe be concerned about, because who knows what else they’ll decide to blow up?

Christian fundamentals did it. They are blowing up the 21st century

My money in on Blucifer!

Maybe the Guidestones can be replaced by something less controversial, like the statue of Baphomet.