Getting Bumper Sticker Residue Off.....

… a plastic bumper? Don’t wanna use a scraper, and this adhesive remover I looked at at the parts store says not for use on plastic. So what do y’all receommend?

Thanks

Quasi

Eucalyptus oil. But test it on an inconspicuous spot first.

Orange oil works great. Spray it on, let it sit for a while, and wipe away the gunk. Sometimes it takes a little elbow grease, but it works.

That famous wonder liquid… WD-40. Best stuff made for taking off adhesive residues and won’t hurt your paint job either. Spray some on the adhesive, and a bit on an old towel and scrub a bit.

Lighter fluid will work too, but not quite as well. Takes a bit more elbow grease.

1. Goo Gone (says do not use on rubber–are you sure the bumpers are plastic?)
  2. Mineral oil (baby oil).
  3. Any other kind of oil (vegetable oil, etc.)
  4. Peanut butter.

I’ll second the WD-40 recommendation. Great stuff. Second only to duct tape in all-around usefullness.

Another vote for WD-40, which is also very effective at removing used chewing gum from your bumpers.

All of you WD-40 fans may enjoy their site. It contains 2000 uses for WD-40 and you can become a super fan for as little as $15.95. For those who don’t have the time here are some of the uses:
[ul]• Removes crusted gunk from bird cages
• Lubricates metal joints on old wooden toys
• Removes roofing tar from shoes
• Coat electric guitar pickups to prevent rusting
• Removes gum from bottom of shoes
• Use for science project on rust prevention
• Cleans and protects cowboy boots
• Cleans and protects handcuffs
• Cleans synthesizer keys
• Loosens crud around stoppers on antique perfume bottles
• Keeps dog collars squeak-free
• Cleans rusty jewelry
• Removes rust from steam irons[/ul]

A hair dryer might help break down the stuff enough for you to scrape of with your fingernail.

Simple Green (in the spray bottle, not the aerosol) might help. Again, lots of elbow grease required. My other 2 cents is that this is best accomplished as soon as you get the sticker off, before the adhesive has a chance to dry/air cure.

Another vote from the WD-40 camp. That stuff works wonders! I carry a little can in my exterminator-mobile to keep the locks on the cap working smoothly, and it also takes glue-board adhesive off my Maglite[sup]tm[/sup] instantly.

I would follow Turbo Dog’s advice to the letter.

Try any vegetable oil first.