Getting going in the morning

My schedule has changed drastically because I’m enrolled in a summer class - it runs 4 pm to 6:30 pm. What this means is that I can, in theory, laze around in bed until 1 or 2 pm. I, therefore, get NOTHING done anymore. It’s very irritating.

Even if I do manage to get myself out of bed at a reasonable hour (after having slept a reasonable amount of time), I find it very hard to get myself going without needing to get out of the house or interacting with anyone.

Do you guys have tips on things to do to snap myself out of morning lethargy? I know showers work for most people but not for me, the hot water makes me even more sleepy.

My simplest tip is to get up at the same time every day, regardless of when you have to be at work/class. You’ll then have quite a lot of productive time in the morning even if it takes you a little while to wake up and get going. I tend to get up around 7.00/7.30 every morning, no matter what I’ve got on (weekends included).

For me, a shower is only the first part. Getting dressed is part number two. If I’m in my nightshirt, robe, slippers. . .nothing gets done. If I’m dressed and my hair is combed, I’m kind of in work mode.

1 or 2? Hell, if it were me, I’d be lazing about till 3:30! But then, I’m a lazy, procrastinating bastard like that.

Hit the gym. You can get a decent circuit-based workout wiht light weights done in 45 minutes to an hour, and you’ll feel great.

It’s absolutely key, as Cunctator says, to get up at the same time every day. Equally important is to go to bed at the same time each night, which, IMHO, is almost as hard to do.

If I had a nickle for every time I said to myself, “Awwww, 6:30 already? But I was up laaaaate last night! I’ll just sleep in . . .”

Can you arrange to meet a friend, to work out, or just to have coffee or something?

Why? When I had late classes in college I slept in disgustingly late, but then stayed up just as long. I still got about 10 hours of sleep (hey, it was college!) but I would do homework, housework, and what not late at night. After all, the good tv is all in the evening, and so are the fun times with booze. I think eventually I would have turned into a vampire, but my schedule was more normal next semester.

How old are you? I mean, are you in your early 20’s? Then why make a big deal out of getting up early? You will have to get up to the whims of some corporate bigwig for your whole life and look back fondly on the days you could sleep. Enjoy it while you can.

I’ll second exercise in the morning, running in particular – it’s truly a joy to blaze past all the commuters stuck in traffic. That’ll be you in a few years. :wink: Your lethargy will be gone within a minute of leaving the door – or money back guaranteed! It’s purely psychological, but I just find it easier to get up to a 20 minute run than to something dull, like revision, which is the only flavour my life comes in at the moment.

If you’re not the sort of person who cartwheels out of bed, you never will be. Perhaps graduate from your bed to a seat, giving yourself a little time to laze around out of bed before starting your daily routine. Other tips: balance a glass of water on your bed so you’re not tempted to crash back onto it. Unplug the internet if you don’t need it.

The why question is interesting. I am 22 and on break from school for the summer, but I have seasonal depression and feel better the more sun I get, hence preferring to be awake during daylight hours.

The waking up and going to sleep at the same time every day is a great idea but not really feasible for me - my live-in boyfriend works on shifts. One week he could be working 8 am - 5 pm, the next 7 pm to 3 am (his current shift). If my sleep schedule isn’t flexible, I may not get to see him at all.

Exercise is a good idea, but it’s so hard to get out to do it in the morning (the original dilemma)! I’ll give it a shot.

This is the way I do it.

I lay out all my exercise stuff in the evening. Clothes to wear, sneakers, socks, a water bottle if it’s hot, so I don’t have to go looking for anything in the morning.

Then set the alarm and put it somewhere where you can’t reach it from the bed.

Get up, brush your teeth (this always helps you wake up), and even if you don’t wash your face, splash your eyes with icy cold water. This will get rid of the eye boogers and wake you up.

Get your stuff on and get out the door. Just plan to walk, anywhere, and once you’re out you’ll get moving all on your own.

FTR I am very anti-mornings. Hate them. Wish I could get up late every day.