getting into Hindi movies - any suggestions?

I’m in the process of trying to learn Hindi, and a friend suggested that I try watching Bollywood films to help improve my listening comprehension (apart from having a new way to pass time in 3-hour stretches :wink: ). I have only seen a few to this point, and now that I’ve found this web site, I could really use some suggestions.

What I have seen:

Asoka (2001) (Shahrukh Khan - easy on the eyes :smiley: )
Hello, Brother! (1999) (is Salman Khan so Jerry Lewis-like in all his movies? but I will admit the man can dance!)
Kaante (2002)

What I would like to see for one reason or another, but haven’t had the chance to yet:

Devdas (2002)
Lagaan (2001)
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998)

What others should I see? Older flicks would be fine too. Thanks!

Not a Bollywood fan but I would second the suggestion of Lagaan.
Another film was the only Hindi movie I actually enjoyed but I am unable to offer the title as I have forgotten it, if it helps I think it translates as Revenge.

Third Lagaan.
Best film ever. Well, not quite, but it is wonderful.

I’m a native Hindi speaker, but I’ve only just learnt to read and write, and a tip I always think works is read notices. You wouldn’t believe how funny some of them are.

clears throat

Kripya laal rekha pur inthazaar kure jub thuk counter khaali hotha hai!

Best notice ever, seen at an airport.

The Hindi movie industry is possibly the largest in the world and the number of movies that you could watch are really huge! I have a few suggestions divided by genre. While you search for movies at your neighborhood store or online, the spellings may vary a bit.

I am a bit rusty on the current movie scene, so my suggestions would mostly be some of the older ones.

The monster grossers - Sholay (an absolute must see!), Hum Apke Hain Kaun,

Great Comedies - Padosan, Chashme Badoor, Golmaal,

The Classics - Mother India, Mughal-e-Azam

Amitabh Bachchan’s movies (the biggest movie star there was) - Zanjeer, Namak Haram, Namak Halal, Shakti

phew! too many movies crowding my head…gotta stop here