Getting Oral

You check out the toothpaste section of any supermarket and you are bombarded by choices. You got yer baking soda… You got yer tartar control… You got yer whitening agents… You got yer stuff for fresh breath… And the usual stand-by flouride!

As if that isn’t enough, you also have rinses to be used before brushing, floss (and even water picks) for after, and mouthwashes that claim to be not just designed for breath, but for better oral hygene.

So, in a word, HELP! With all of the crap out there, what do we really NEED to help prevent (or at least delay) massive painful dentist trips and dentures?

Speaking of which, we all seem to lose our teeth when we get older no matter what we do with them. Or is that just how it appears?

Brian O’Neill
CMC International Records
www.cmcinternational.com

ICQ 35294890
AIM Scrabble1
Yahoo Messenger Brian_ONeill

Personally, I’ve done just fine with only using regular flouride toothpaste. I did use whitening for awhile, but that was because my teeth are naturally yellow and I wanted to brighten them up.

23 years and no cavities yet - I’m trying not to ever lose mine!

Brush with just about anything labeled ‘toothpaste,’ and floss. (For the love of God, floss!)See a dentist a couple times a year.
That’s all you gotta do and you should die with a head full of beautiful teeth.
– Greg, Atlanta

I asked my dentist about this, since he also teaches at a dental college (so he should be up on all the latest stuff.) He explained that much of what happens in the way of cavities etc. has to do with the pH of your mouth. Example: I get cavities, but very little plaque. My ex got plaque that had to be chipped away, but no cavities. Both states cause problems, as having too much plaque eventually leads to gum disease. Various dental products attempt to correct or ameliorate the properties in your mouth - but, since most people don’t know what they are correcting, most people choose randomly.

For myself, I don’t worry about plaque control. I do worry about fluoride, and tend towards whitening (I am a recently ex smoker and I’m trying to catch up with the damage I did.) Being of Irish background, I will tend towards more trouble than other ethnic groups (a theory my dentist supported, altho he couldn’t tell me why it was so.) I suggest checking your history and tailoring your choices to that information – but I agree: floss like your life depended on it and see your dentist at least once a year!

You can only be a victim once. After that you’re just a volunteer.

Naomi Judd

Whoa, I wouldn’t floss too much.

My mother is 76 years old and still has all her teeth in top condition. She brushes them twice a day and flosses at least once a day.

Heredity certainly plays a big role in the strength of your teeth and gums, but flouridated water and regular flossing has helped people keep their teeth till death do they part.

Flouride strengthens the tooth enamel, and flossing keeps anaerobic bacteria from proliferating under the gums and eventually eating away the supporting bone structure. More people lose their teeth due to periodontal disease than all other causes put together. Floss, kids. Please?

Fluoride, not flouride, as 2 of you want to spell it.

Ok, I’ll admit I grew up on a farm, What’s flossing?

What’s the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose, some say your toes,
But I think it’s your Mind - Frank Zappa

Also, I remember from somewhere (can’t remember) that apparently there are only about 2 dangerous bacteria in ones mouth and around 1 million good bacteria. Most toothpastes wipe out the lot, so the suggestion was to just use a dry toothbrush as that would knock all the plaque off the teeth and toughen the gums up.

Not that I do, Love the taste of that toothpaste.

FloChi: Ok, I’ll admit I grew up on a farm, What’s flossing?

If you don’t have dog biscuits to chew on, get a piece of thread and run it between your teeth…works wonders. (No, corn silk won’t work…just smoke that behind the barn.)

Oops, I thought that this was another sex how-to-do thread! I’m out of here!

Zymurgist

So I rub my gums with string, is this fun?.
Ok that is what flossing is, but what does it achieve? Or does it just make it easier for the orthodentists to put the bands on your teeth when you have barces?

Flossing is usually done with dental floss (available everywhere, I like the waxed mint flavored myself). You put it in between your teeth and scrape the sides of each one in between to dislodge and remove particles of food and other stuff that your brush cannot reach. You are then supposed to rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash to kill any remaining germies.

Brian O’Neill
CMC International Records
www.cmcinternational.com

ICQ 35294890
AIM Scrabble1
Yahoo Messenger Brian_ONeill

I read recently that the amount of cavities developed in the U.S. is at its highest point in decades. Apparently it’s due to the fad of so many people drinking only “pure, natural, spring fresh, glacially-good, etc." bottled water which lacks the added fluoride that most cities’ tap water has had for years.

So millions of health-conscious Americans are paying ridiculous prices for “healthy” water and ending up unhealthy (at least orally) as a result.

Does anyone else find this as ironically amusing as I?

And as an aside, ever notice what Evian spelled backwards is? Coincidence? I think not.

~ Complacency is far more dangerous than outrage ~

Tsk tsk, we all know that fluoridation is just a conspiracy by the Evil Aluminum Manufacturers {TM} to dump their poisonous waste fluorides into our mouths. :slight_smile:

Yes, yes and yes! I have three very pretty bottles which I fill with tap water and keep in my fridge. Cost–$0. I don’t drink Perrier, I drink plain old club soda (which is, at my grocery, 1/3 the price).

The talk of bottled water and increased incidents of cavitites makes me wonder about the Europeans. I’ve never seen a European drink tap water. In fact, they seem to find the idea revolting. Even if they did drink tap water I doubt that it’s fluoridated as no one there seems to drink the stuff. Do they have more cavities than Americans? Do they have some other source of fluoride?

“I think it would be a great idea” Mohandas Ghandi’s answer when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Most Europeans I know (living in Sweden I meet a lot) seem to drink tap water. In Sweden they only buy bottled water when travelling. And only carbonated.

Also when growing up I only drank rain water (to far from town, yep had our own sewerage system too) and I have yet to have one cavity, same with my siblings. So I believe it is more to do with dental care than the fluoride.

Although French tap water tastes really bad. German, British and Scandinavian tap water is all fine though.