Getting rid of chipmunks

Basically you are suggesting “offing” Chip & Dale?

“Chip & Dale” damn near burned our house down for us; they like to chew on wiring.

The chewing on the wires managed to short out our air conditioner; it needed extensive repair and rewiring last summer, we had to have it replaced this year, wiring and all. Thanks, guys.

Little bastards also ruined our Jacuzzi; they chewed the wiring out of it AND ripped stuffing out of the top as well.

Since this house is on a slab, we’re naturally concerned about where they might burrow.

The long and short of it, you might think they’re cute as hell but I’m here to tell you, them’s our natural enemy.

We usually don’t believe in outside cats, but one took up with us and he’s a good hunter; we have seen no chipmunks in quite some time. We’ve also had quite a few shrews and moles dumped on our doorstep as well, but if that’s the price of safety, sorry boys, move further out in the woods and away from the house.

your humble TubaDiva
nature is fine, far as it goes . . . the edge of the yard is far enough!

PS We also have a snake killing dog, terrier mix puppy; she’s found and killed 3 rattlesnakes this summer alone. They can stay out of the yard too . . . or take their chances. (I’m betting on the dog.)

Well, the method I have seen be the most effective is mothballs. Use either naptha or PDB balls, doesn’t matter which. They also sell bottled naphtha, works well too, but teh balls are the best. Dump 4-5 mothballs down every chipmunk hole you can find. The chipmunks will find their lair unliviable as the whole thing fills with napthalene (or paradichlorobenzene, depending) fumes. Even if you miss a few holes, the whole lair fills up with fumes. The chipmunks get so fed up they tend to get quite far away from your yard. Your neighbors may find their steps starting to slump, but yearly mothballings are a humane way to keep the little beasties from your lawn.

Also, another method is “de-grubbing” you lawn; as chipmunks feed on grubs, by reducing their foodsourcs you can cut down on them. More expensive, though. I recommend the mothball method. Humane and fairly successful if you are diligent.

Jason R Remy

“One pill makes you taller, and one pill makes you small, but the ones that mother gives you don’t do anything at all”
– Jefferson Airplane * White Rabbit * (Slick, G. 1966)

{{{1. drink tequila;}}}—Jorge

Ummmmmmm! Tequila!

{{{PS We also have a snake killing dog, terrier mix puppy; she’s found and killed 3 rattlesnakes this summer alone. }}}—TUBADIVA

Fry ‘em up! They’s good eatin’!

Kalél
(The Original EnigmaOne)
Common ¢ for all ages.

Dog’s too big to fry up now; she’s about 9 months old.

your humble TubaDiva

{{{Dog’s too big to fry up now; she’s about 9 months old.}}}—TubaDiva

ROFLMAOPIMPSTCAN!!!

Youse A Shweetheart! I needed that. :smiley:

…ya caught me drinking Pepsi this time too.

Kalél
(The Original EnigmaOne)
Common ¢ for all ages.

• This is what air rifles are for.
  • Spring-piston airguns make much less noise than any .22 round, even shorts. Some people argue for using “humane methods” but they don’t bother to “relocate” cockroaches or termites and it isn’t their house at risk. I’m not particularly fond of hunting (I never did go shoot the pigeons), but there is no shortage of chipmunks. Shooting them is the safest, fastest, cheapest way to get rid of them and done prudently, it doesn’t endanger anything else at all. $50 for a rifle, $3.00 for 250 pellets - that’s 250 chipmunks. Will an exterminator kill 250 chipmunks for $53.00?
  • You should warn the neighbors in advance so that they don’t think you’ve flipped when they see you toting a gun around the yard. The chipmunks are used to people being around so camo clothes aren’t necessary. After yours disappear after two or three days, they may even ask you to do theirs. For general info go to http://www.airgunletter.com
  • If I lived near you, I’d do it , for a small fee :wink: - MC

jayron 32 writes:

Chipmunks do not feed on grubs to any noticeable extent; they eat the same things as their larger cousins, the tree rats (a/k/a gray squirrels): seeds, fruits, and assorted vegetable matter. Animal tissue of any kind makes up only a small portion (<15%) of their diet.
You may be thinking of moles, which do eat grubs, and, in the process of finding them, dig tunnels under the lawn. They seldom undermine masonry, however (no grubs, hence no reason to dig there).

“Kings die, and leave their crowns to their sons. Shmuel HaKatan took all the treasures in the world, and went away.”

Chipmunks also seem to have a fondness for sparkplug wires that are used in Saturn vehicles. I’m not the only Saturn owner in my area that has found the wires chewed off, and a heap of acorn shells left in the holes the wires had previously been in.
Can’t imagine what is so delicious about silicone insulation. BTW, the liddle cuties also shredded the insulation blanket (fiberglass) under the hood of my car, and made a nest in the air filter after chewing their way in.

FixedBack

“Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity.”~~G.K.Chesterton 1908

Moles are certainly capable of undermining an above ground swimming pool! I learned this firsthand as I helplessly watched our first pool flood the back/side yard through a maze of tunnels. The pressure of the water had pressed the vinyl liner into the tunnel, and apparently in an effort to remove it, the mole perforated the liner. Bet he was surprised! I sure was.
For what it’s worth, the mole drowned. Pretty expensive way to kill moles, i’d say.

FixedBack

“Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity.”~~G.K.Chesterton 1908

How much chipped gunk could a chimpmunk munch if a chipmunk munched chipped gunk?

Guns? Water? LET THEM LIVE???

For Chrissakes, just slow down the record player.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

Just give Dave a call and tell him to come pick up Alvin, Simon and Theodore.

You sound reasonable…it must be time to up my medication