To answer questions.
The house is old, maybe originally 1920s? In the mid-70s it was moved to the current location. The wiring sucks, but at least the 220 line doesn’t appear damaged (I have full basement and the wire runs out in the open. The only part I couldn’t see was about 12" where it runs up a wall to the stove outlet in the kitchen. So, that is the 220 line that serviced the stove which was VERY OLD and needed replaced.
The kitchen sink is stainless steel tubs set in a mid-70s Formica counter. The overhead light and a near-by light plate/outlet (about 3 feet away) are serviced by a wire through the attic and down the exterior wooden wall. The sink is serviced by white plastic pipes in and a black plastic pipe out. The only way I could see getting a charge into the sink would be through the water at the metal faucet. I routinely fill a water tank next to my house where there is a full ‘connection’ from the hose to the tank. I put my hands in the rubber tank all the time. I’ve never been shocked there.
The hotplate that I’m using now is on the opposite side of the kitchen using a 110 outlet and puts out enough power to heat a 3qt sauce pan of water to the point of steaming, but not boiling. (so the hotplate isn’t all that hot compared to a stove).
There hasn’t been any work of any kind in the house. There isn’t any gas in the house. The only thing that has changed is that they’re fracking a gas well near by, but that should not be under or near my house (but that’s why I thought maybe something in the water chemistry might be changing enough to cause a chemical reaction of some sort with the stainless steel)
The shocks are random (like I was shocked once day before yesterday, but haven’t been shocked since). I’d been getting randomly shocked on the stove at a rate of maybe once every second or third week. When the sink shocked me, it made me afraid of the stove, so I killed the breaker and pulled out the hot plate.
So, if there is no active “shocking” going on, could an electrician diagnose the problem? I believe the 110 outlets in my house probably aren’t grounded based on the fact that my ups in my office says that they’re not grounded. I know some of the house wiring is grounded (e.g. the 220v to my well pump was checked by a professional and is properly grounded.)
Also, we’ve been running under normal rains here, but we aren’t in a severe drought condition. I know in the past they would ground electricity to the copper pipes, but the few bits of copper that exist in the house are not any where near the fuse box and the only copper outside is the 220v line that goes to the well head. Is there any trick to finding where your ground pole is located?
The only other thing that I can think of that might be related is that I have CFLs and a couple of my light switches went out (just quit working) because of how the CFLs draw power. Could a blown light switch on a different circuit be causing it?
If I have an electrician come out and there’s no active shock, if I have him replace all the end bits (e.g. outlets, light switches, etc) would that have a good chance of solving the problem?