Gimme that old-fashioned racism

Happens every Halloween. Some people wear costumes in questionable taste and get accused of racism. And other people claim that it isn’t racism. So we argue over whether going in blackface as a TV character is racist or dressing up as Trayvon Martin is racist or making fun of Barack Obama is racist.

But I think we can all agree: this is racist.

Not a lot of hidden symbolism there. And Jessica Black (yes seriously) isn’t claiming that her boy was wearing it ironically or anything like that. She says her family has been wearing klan costumes for years. And she thinks that’s a good thing because she’s down with the klan: “It’s supposed to be white with white, black with black, man with woman and all of that. That’s what the KKK stands for.” cite cite cite

Shitheads have a tendency to raise their kids to be shitheads.

When Mommy Racist took her child trick-or-treating, she should have worn one herself and bear the risk.

Don’t use your son as a shield.

I don’t understand, what’s racist about dressing up as a ghost? Is it because it’s a white ghost? Oh, so are we supposed all be black ghosts now or it’s racist? Fucking Obama…

Well, I don’t know.

[ul]
[li]On Halloween, it’s appropriate to dress up as something scary[/li][li]Venerating the KKK is scary[/li][li]That costume venerates the KKK[/li][/ul]

QED, the costume is appropriate for Halloween.

And that family is scary.

Missed this on the first read. I find it absolutely hilarious that her surname is “Black.”

Well, all is not lost. Prussian Blue got better.

I have to admit, I used grease makeup to change my skin tone and dressed up as a person of color for Halloween. People stared at me when I took my kids trick-or-treating. But I just assumed everyone loved Papa Smurf.

Yeah, it’s the same thing Lamb & Lynx experienced. That little boy is at the same age where he his racist mother does the speaking for him. Ms. Black is a racist bitch.

How dare you walk around in blueface you horrible racist person.

I think you have it all wrong, the kid’s just supposed to be a ghost!

…the ghost of a Klansmen…

The costume is clearly inappropriate because the kid’s vision is going to be limited by the small eye holes. That’s unsafe. On the other hand, it’s going to be easier to see at night than the same thing in black.

Having kids is great, you can teach them to hate the things that you hate.

Given the former logic, shouldn’t the latter be man with man, woman with woman? :confused:

So you blue yourself for Halloween?

You’ve got to be taught to hate and fear,
You’ve got to be taught from year to year,
It’s got to be drummed in your dear little ear,
You’ve got to be carefully taught.

You’ve got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff’rent shade,
You’ve got to be carefully taught.

You’ve got to be taught before it’s too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You’ve got to be carefully taught!

Thank you, Oscar Hammerstein II, for those unfortunately timeless words.
Roddy

In the movie Cabin in the Woods:

At the end, when it’s revealed there’s a giant government complex filled with goblins, zombies, werewolves, monster bats, flesh eating mermen, gigantic snakes, and just about every other conceivable monster, in the background of one scene you see one of the monster holding cells has three guys in Klan robes.

Racism isn’t born, folks, it’s taught. I have a two-year-old son. You know what he hates? Naps! End of list.

• Dennis Leary

Poor kid probably just wanted to be a wizard like Harry Potter for Halloween…so she dug out her grandfather’s Grand Wizard costume for him.

I want Lamb & Lynx to go on tour & call it “The De-Nazification Tour”.