Gina Carano is ignorant AF, but cancel culture is really getting ridiculous

It’s not an “anchor” so much as a fault in the ignition system of the Airbus A380 luxury jet.

Nobody AFAICT is saying that McCammond should never work again, or even that she shouldn’t be able to have a successful career. They’re just saying that she doesn’t seem like the most appropriate person to have the extremely high-profile and prestigious position of being the public face of a publication like Teen Vogue.

Well, it looks from that article and its linked source as though Collins and her fellow school board members are likely to be recalled from their appointments. Not merely for her anti-Asian rhetoric, but also for board conflicts over school reopening and controversy over the board’s campaign to rename some SF public schools. (Which I seem to remember was a campaign that octopus opposed, btw.)

I have no way of knowing whether or to what extent these consequences of public disapproval of Collins’s actions are going to “ruin her life”, and I very much doubt that you do either.

More of the nonsensical conservative mythology of wokeness. No, there are no evil masterminds mustering “mobs” and “exploiting” ideology of anti-racism for the sake of their own evil power, mwah ha haaaaa.

As I said, this rhetoric is just a tactic born of fear that anti-bigotry principles could potentially lead to the real destabilization of conservatives’ own entrenched power.

:roll_eyes:

Yeah. The histrionics on this issue (color me surprised) are really from the social conservatives A-Gain.

It’s identical to the Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings (am I in reruns already ? On this thread ??): the RW acted as though Kavanaugh was being charged with a capital crime and faced being sentenced to death.

It was a job interview, for a job which – if he didn’t get it – his life would still have been infinitely better than about 99.999% of the entire world.

We have felonies in the US.
We have misdemeanors.
We have civil infractions.

And then we have stuff which – if you do it – there may be a price to pay that’s not similar to the penalties for any of the above.

It’s a price that fluctuates. It’s “AQ --” Market Price.

Is it always fair ? I dunno. But over time, it tends to get us toward a more just world.

And to the balls-out Slippery Slope argument being bandied about so casually on this one,

a) That’s what societies do;
b) That’s what legislatures do;
c) I don’t know where this particular journey will lead us because they do change velocity and direction, but I do NOT like where it came from (and I’m crystal clear on what that looked like), so I’m content to let it play out some more in the hopes that it will minimize abject injustice and incalculable disenfranchisement, disadvantage, and misery.

We were all talking about Moldova. That couldn’t be any clearer.

But you go right ahead and try to change the subject again. Somebody might follow you.

Just not me. It gets really old.

@asahi is very vigilant to protect people he wants to masturbate to.

I lol’d.

Funny. Not true, but funny nevertheless.

What you said (all of it). You know, this whole kerfuffle has got me realizing that in a less repressed and paranoid country we’d be dealing with all this stuff openly in Truth and Reconciliation Commissions.

I mean, we have hella sociological trauma in our accumulated past:

We’ve got the history of longstanding white-supremacist racism and its catastrophic impacts on Native American and Black and Latinx populations.

We’ve got, e.g., anti-Asian and antisemitic bigotry, the “model minority” phenomenon, and the multiple intersecting effects of anti-Asian, anti-Black, and antisemitic racism in American Asian, Jewish and Black communities as well as in the white majority.

We’ve got Islamophobia and its various intersections with anti-Asian, anti-Black, and antisemitic racism too.

Then we’ve got sexism, homophobia and transphobia everywhere, which also exacerbate the impacts of other kinds of bigotry.

To a lesser extent, we’ve got various kinds of intraethnic prejudice as well, such as anti-Irish sentiment among Americans of English descent and tensions between different Asian-American communities and different Latinx communities, and on and on and on and on.

And if we learn to talk about these things honestly, to admit that we’re all affected and influenced by systemic bigotry, and that we’re angered by what we’ve suffered from systemic bigotry and we don’t want to keep passing over it in silence, then we can maybe learn to unite around anti-bigotry principles and accept our human fallibility while working to make things better for everybody’s benefit, in a truly equal (or at least more equal) society.

And that’s the prospect that’s got conservatives scared to death. That’s why they want us to stop talking about these things.

He just reached into his hat of right-wing scare words and pulled out death camps. It could have been woke mobs, rioting BLM protesters, Maoist five-year plans, Stalinist gulags, “urban” “thugs”, etc. It was just random that it happened to be death camps.

Unless you were a perfect child (dubious) you likely said something as dumb as McCammond that, if dragged into the light of day, would get you fired by today’s hair-trigger crowd. If you were like most other hormone-addled boys there were probably times you objectified the girls around you.

Being a teen doesn’t excuse it at the time, of course. Detention or grounding coupled with an apology would be a reasonable punishment. Ten years later, though, I would think we could overlook it assuming one had stopped acting like a Neanderthal.

Bingo!

Historical and current events aren’t scare words regardless of your desire to dissociate yourself from the traits of the radical left. The one difference is that instead of class warfare it’s victim identity warfare.

I wasn’t perfect, but no, nothing that would get me fired today. Why is that so hard to believe? I was a good student, liked to read, played with Space Lego, listened to my music, opposed the racist State - I didn’t swear, drink, or spout racist rhetoric. Neither did my friends.

Boys and girls, actually. And all the objectification I did, I did in my head. Because I had manners. And consideration for others.

And because being “hormone-addled” is the kind of shitty excuse incels use. It’s as dated as the blue balls myth. Grow the fuck up.

Do you think those words hurt Asians less now than they did ten years ago? Because I’m trying to think about what it would be like to be a 17 year old Asian girl reading Teen Vogue and then seeing those Tweets.

The context here absolutely matters.

So you’ve done a 180 as an adult. How atypical.

And if so, then I agree that MrDibble probably wouldn’t be an ideal candidate for the position of editor-in-chief at Teen Vogue.

I imagine that the readership of Teen Vogue wouldn’t be all that thrilled at the implication that the best choice for the leader of their magazine was a guy with a history of publicly making dumb sexist remarks about objectifying girls. I mean, they already get enough of that every day in the school cafeteria.

Good. If you’re interested in applying to work at Teen Vogue, it sounds like they’re looking for an editor-in-chief.

Because in my experience as a teen and working with them that that is so unique as to be almost non-existent. Other than swearing your list of attributes could easily describe me and my friends and we certainly objectified girls. I remember neighborhood boys as young as 10 or 11 talking about some girls audacious ta-tas. It makes me cringe now.

What, because I swear now? I’m not a kid anymore, motherfucker.

I still have consideration for others. It’s that consideration that leads me to call out vile Nazi-loving bootlickers like you, after all.

And I still have manners - it’s only good manners to wipe the shit off your boots lest you track it through the house. So off you get, shitstain *wipe* *wipe*

Hmmm. Adventurous field linguist William Indiana Jones pops up in the thread to ask whether you are possibly misremembering their reference to the idiom “bodacious ta-tas”, or whether your juvenile acquaintances really had morphed the idiom with the similar-sounding adjective “audacious”.

That could be an opportunity for dialogue between readers and the editors of Teen Vogue. I doubt that will happen, though. Remember: let’s see this for what it really is, not an opportunity for actually doing something about intolerance, but a ‘business decision.’ Conde Nast might be applauded for (finally) taking a stand on matters of diversity, and then they will probably exit the controversy as quickly as possible and move onto something else.

I understand that Conde Nast doesn’t need a dialogue to become a more inclusive workplace or to become more sensitive to the feelings of readers – they don’t need any sort of dialogue to achieve those aims. They can do that by being better at hiring a more diverse staff. But I believe that if we want to work faster toward mutual understanding and empathy, there’s a better way to deal with it than making a business decision to give someone the boot whenever someone says something that pisses us off, whether they comments were made 10 hours ago or 10 years ago.