Give an example of "great, dry wit."

Another Astor/Churchill exchange:

Nancy: Winston you are apallingly drunk!
Churchill: And you madame are apallingly ugly. But tomorrow I’ll be sober.

Another Coolidge story:

Coolidge and his wife were given separate tours of a chicken farm. Informed that there were dozens of chickens but only one rooster Mrs. Coolidge asked why and was told that two roosters would kill each other. She asked “Well does he really perform his… husbandly duties… with all these chickens?”
Yes ma’am. He performs them many many times per day.
Mrs. C with a sly grin: “Please tell that to the president.”

When the president was shown the coop this was relayed to him.
“Does he always service the same chicken?”
“No sir, a different chicken each time.”
“Please tell that to the First Lady.”

Congressman/Speaker of the House Nicholas Longworth was the husband of Alice Roosevelt (Teddy’s daughter) and knwon to be a notorious womanizer. He was also bald. One of his many political enemies addressed him at a social function and said something to the effect of “Your bald head reminds me of my wife’s ass… let me feel it to see if it feels like my wife’s ass…” and without waiting he did. “Yep, your head feels just like my wife’s ass.”

Longworth kept his cool. He just raised his hand to his head, rubbed it, and said “Hmm. Damned if it doesn’t.”

Dry humor gives no hint that what is being told is a joke. That’s left to the audience to figure out.

Mocumentires such as “This is Spinal Tap” and “Best of Show” are good examples.

My own humor is dry. It can take a while for people to get me sometimes just because they assume I’m serious about all the nonsense I’m babbling about.

Of course, it doesn’t help that I stop to consider around half of my babble might be a really great idea.

Couple of Churchill ones that illustrate dry wit rather well,

on Clement Attlee,

Clement Attlee is a modest man who has a good deal to be modest about.

or maybe

I am easily satisfied with the very best.

or this

The length of this document defends it well against the risk of its being read.

an exchange with Lady Astor

Lady Astor: “Sir, you are drunk.” Churchill: “And you, Madame, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.”

Me and a girl were having a silly face contest. After a bit she declared herself the winner. You should win, I said, you had a head start.

After my son had gone to the trouble of doing something that would cause me as much work as it let me avoid: “Honey, I don’t deserve you.”

He was just young enough that I was pleased that he got it. I was also pleased that he enjoyed it.

Oscar Wilde in customs: “I’ve nothing to declare. Except my genius.”

Alexander the Great, shortly after he destroyed the army of Darius in an upset at Issus, received an offer of a huge section of the western Persian empire in exchange for peace (it would have left Darius with the lion’s share but Alexander would have been rich beyond his wildest hopes). His advisor, Parmenion, a noble inherited from his father and not one of Alexander’s favorite people, said “I would accept that offer without hesitation.”
Alexander’s response: “Well if I were you Parmenion so would I, but I’m Alexander.” He returned a “thanks but no thanks” message to Darius and signed it Alexander, Emperor of Persia.

“His Majesty is like Bat Piss! That was one of Wilde’s.”

“It sodding was not!”

After the Persian War ended with the Battle of Salamis, the Athenian general Themistocles went around to other cities collecting money to pay for Athens’ expenses. At the island of Andros, the dialogue was:

THEMISTOCLES: We Athenians have two powerful gods on our side: Persuasion and Compulsion!

ANDRIAN: We Andrians have two useless gods, who refuse to leave us alone: Poverty and Inability!

Later, when Athenian and Spartan forces won the Battle of Plataea and finally drove the Persians out of Hellas, they captured the Persian general’s incredibly (by Greek standards) luxurious command tent. The Spartan general Pausanias remarked: “You see what fools these were, who live like this, yet came here to rob us of our poverty!”

No, ‘fuck you’ is just not funny.

Now if the story finished:

… and Calvin Coolidge looked at the man, took out his phone and said “I’m texting!”

that would be funny and anachronistic. :slight_smile:

Judge: ‘I have read your case Mr. Smith, and I am no wiser now than when I started.’

F.E.Smith.: ‘Possibly not, My Lord, but far better informed’

To me, the thing about dry wit is that has a fuse- even if it’s a split second. There is a moment or two when the listener is not 100% sure that there is a joke, and then context or further thought reveals it. It also acts as a bit of a litmus test for one’s company.

Kind of what JoeSki said, or meek’s grandfather.

I love this type of person.

There was a beauty by a doper who’s name escapes me. (I apologize !)

The thread was about curious foods we had consumed, it was proceeding much as one might expect and then this post;

Leprechaun. Tastes like elf, but gamey.
This cracked me up! I’m loving this thread, by the by.

Aaaaaaand we have a winner. Thread over.

Phillip II, to the Spartans:

“You had better surrender. If I conquer you, I will slay all your men, enslave all your women, and burn your city to the ground.”

The Spartans:

“If.”

Regards,
Shodan

When at school one day, my gang of mates was getting in trouble for something I no longer recall - probably nothing very heinous. The teacher who busted us was ordering us to some punishment which consisted of cleaning up a certain area of the playground - “garbage duty” or whatever you want to call it. The (male) teacher was trying to be all tough about it and there was this exchange:

Teacher (angrily): “… and if you don’t do it properly, I will have to refer it to a higher authority*!”
(* meaning the Principal)

My smartarse mate: “And they’ll do it, will they?”

Everybody cracked up and even the teacher could not keep a straight face.

Here’s an exercise in developing dry wit:

For the next 24 hours, whenever someone asks you a question, respond only to the question they ask. For example:

“Excuse me sir, do you know what time it is?”
“Yes.”

Granted, this is only one very small part of dry wit, but it’s a good beginning!

Maybe she was talking out the other side of vermouth.

Sailboat

THANK YOU!

Complaining that there is a “conspiracy of silence” among poetry supporters for his nomination as Britain’s Poet Laureate, Sir Lewis Morris made the mistake of asking Oscar Wilde what would be his best recourse.

“Join it.”

The best lines do tend to get around. Here’s another of Dorothy’s…

(Since I haven’t read the whole thread, I’ll not be surprised if someone has already posted this one.)