Give me your crazy movie theories

I hate the idea that Deckard is a replicant, because it ruins the movie. Roy is a replicant on the verge of becoming a human being. Deckard is a human being on the verge of becoming a machine. It’s, like, symmetry dude. If Deckard is a replicant then what’s the point?

I always thought that they should have been released due to the fact that bad things happen to anyone they get near. The best thing they could do for someone was to stay uninvolved.

Skyfall pretty much rules out any code name shenanigans for Mr. Bond. Unless they coincidentally happened to hire a guy named James Bond to take over the code name James Bond. (Yes, the Craig ones are a reboot or whatever, reboot shmeboot, James Bond is the character’s actual name his momma gave him).

As for Terminator, I have this theory that the Matrix is actually the distant future of Terminator, after Skynet “wins”. This guy that Neo is supposedly the reincarnation of? John Connor.

That’s my theory.

Skyfall/Skynet. Craig is the original Bond, brought forward to take over from the last one that got killed. :smiley:

Agreed. Ridley Scott is wrong.

A few pet theories of mine:

The 1974 TV show of Planet of the Apes takes place in the altered timeline established at the end of Battle For the Planet of the Apes, where the Lawgiver went on to preach equality rather than that humans were uniquely evil.

In an alternate history, Britain was conquered and occupied by Nazi Germany for a period before being liberated by the Americans. Years later, an Oscar-winning movie dramatized the true story of a group of British women internees who hid a downed American flyer and with his help made a daring escape to freedom. Chicken Run is the claymation parody of that movie.

The Andromeda Strain wasn’t a microbe as such; it was a nanomachine, and in the sequel that’s never been written we find out what it was programmed to do if it ever found the right environment.

The Humungus in The Road Warror was actually Max’s former partner, Jim “Goose” Rains who survived his severe burns.

Through generous doses of steroids, apparently.

Agreed, it also ruins the Rachel plot. No longer is Deckard learning to recognize the humanity of the people he was killing, and making a risky decision to run with one even if it leads to him getting killed. No now he is doing the only logical thing, hate the Deckard as replicant idea.

My theory on Blade Runner? The replicants are biologically human beings, full stop. They are assembled in vats from human tissue, remember the eyes Hannibal Chew was making? Everyone calls them machines but that is just dehumanizing slang, they are as human as anyone which is why the only way to tell them apart is a psych test.

And you want proof? The strippergram. Who hired her? Not ferris, he wasn’t even going to be home. Certainly not his parents or sister. Not Cameron, who didn’t even want to go along with ferris. Definitely not Sloan. All the kids at school were eagerly raising money to Save Ferris, so they wouldn’t spend it on something like that.

But if it’s all in Cameron’s head, then it makes sense as just the sort of thing that happens to the righteous dude that Cameron desperately wants to be.

Isn’t that explicitly stated? It is in the novel.

Hold the phone … if Ferris only exists in Cameron’s head, how do we explain Ferris’ sister? I suppose we can explain away Ferris’ parents as the ideal that Cameron wish he had (as opposed to the narcissists he apparently does have for parents). Not to mention Charlie Sheen. Is Cameron secretly gay as well, and jonesing for some sweet, sweet, juvenile delinquent action?

Maybe Cameron has a sister, and Jeannie is the version of her in his imagination. The one that he has a tough rivalry with, but who ultimately comes through for him.

Yeah… the “Ferris is a figment of Cameron’s imagination” theory falls apart if you stop and think about it for even a few seconds. It’s fun to joke about, but it doesn’t even make a good alternate theory like “The Matrix is the far future of The Terminator world.”

All of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off took place in the Matrix. Ferris/Neo figured out some hacks to make his life fun.

Bladerunner and the Alien series (including Prometheus) take place in the same universe - the Weyland androids are not direct ancestors of the replicants that Deckard is hunting - they are a competing technology.

Oh man… what if all movies are really in the Matrix?

You just blew my mind, mang.

Someone, somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us both alive.

Dreams get pushed around a lot, I doubt if we’ll survive.

We won’t get to wake up; dreams were born to disappear,

And I’m quite sure that none of us are here.

I like the Terminator/Matrix overlap theory.

Some have proposed that Zion isn’t the Real World™ either, but a parallel simulation for those whose personalities didn’t fit into the Matrix simulation. Works for me.

I’ve also seen the claim that earlier versions of the script had humans as an element of a massive processing network, providing creativity and a certain amount of randomness, not as power sources. Makes way more sense, but apparently movie execs r dum, so they were forced to change it.

Re: Blade Runner; In Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, one of the classically Dickian themes was that of identity. Deckard isn’t sure his targets are androids. The only way to be sure is stated to be a bone marrow biopsy, which means that the androids are physiologically nearly indistinguishable from normal humans. The question of the interaction between memory and identity is also explicitly explored.

At one point, DADoES Deckard is half convinced that he himself is an android and has been killing humans when he is arrested and taken to a police station. And in fact, the narrative is not entirely convincing as to reliability. We don’t know for sure that Deckard’s point of view is correct at any point in the story. It’s open to interpretation as to whether he was deluded the whole time, part of the time, or completely trustworthy from the beginning.

Empathy was another theme that Dick returned to again and again, and while it was mentioned in the movie, it was largely unexplored apart from the Voight-Kampff test, which was a stand-in for the Mercer box in DADoES (which featured yet another Dickian repeat theme; the overlap between religion and mass culture).

In the source material, by the end of the story Deckard’s status is still not entirely clear, and the status of the androids is even more ambiguous. It’s perfectly reasonable to suspect that Blade Runner’s Deckard is actually an android, even without the first-version script/edit flub or subsequent statements by people involved with the movie.

Mine is that Aliens/Prometheus, Predator, Blade Runner, and The Terminator all take place in the same universe (Skynet’s Judgement Day probably having been averted).

Also, by a producer’s reuse of a certain fictional country in the script of Predator, possibly also Die Hard, and Commando. And possibly Speed.

There’s actually various bit of continuity nods that confirm this, explicitly (such as in crossovers) or otherwise—the Prometheus/Blade Runner connection was apparently thought of being made outright, in one stage of the film’s development. To the point of having the company be “Weyland-Tyrell” and having (a) Roy Batty being among the eponymous ship’s security!—but there’s really one reason why I think I personally favor it…and it’s not for the possibility of crossovers.

It’s for the idea that some of those really deep, often sensitive and insightful science fiction films take place in the same universe as complete adrenosterone infused, machine gun spraying action carnivals. That they’re both completely opposed, yet somehow completely equally valid ways of perceiving and interacting with the same world.

It’s like seeing a deft little tissue section of existence itself, on a slide mount, really. :slight_smile: :wink: