Glass pane in bathroom door: bizarro?

The bathroom door is in need of replacement. I thought it might be a neat idea to get a new one that has a frosted glass insert so you can see whether or not the bathroom is occupied. The glass would have to be frosted enough so that naughty details can’t be seen, but you would be able to see vague shapes & movement. Just enough to let anybody on the other side know that the room was occupied.

Would this be too weird? If you entered my home and needed to use the potty, would a translucent glass pane in the bathroom door make you think twice? Even if it was obvious that the dirty sinful details of your transactions couldn’t be seen from the other side?

Interesting idea, but one shouldn’t have to spend any time analyzing whether they have a comfortable amount of privacy when they have to go “move the mail”.

The old “if the door’s locked it’s occupied” always worked good enough in my household. Usually if it’s just closed that means it’s occupied.

I think it depends on where the bathroom is, and who uses it.

We have a clear glass and wood door on our master bath. And a taught sheer curtain over the glass.

It’s nice since the bath does not have an outside widow, it lets in light.

I don’t think I would do it on any but a ‘private’ or master bath.

I would be put off by it. I prefer complete privacy in the bathroom when I’m using the facilities, although I leave the door open when I’m doing more mundane tasks, like brushing my teeth or applying makeup. Even a frosted window would make me feel exposed.

One of the guidelines that you should use when remodeling your home is “How would this look to someone when I’m trying to sell?” Not that you should paint your house in beige and have boring carpeting, but some of the more avant garde selections may give potential homebuyers pause.

If you want to do it, go for it. But keep in mind if you ever sell you will probably have to change it back.

In general, “door open” means it’s available, “door closed” means it’s not. If the door opens out or if you don’t want to leave it open for other reasons, generally leaving it open an inch or two suffices to communicate the same information.

I would definitely find frosted glass weird.

I wouldn’t think it odd, and am thinking of doing the same with mine. Our bathroom is very small, and the outside window is frosted glass. The door needs replaced, and I think the extra light and feeling of space would be worth it. It will have a lock, but even if not, a closed door means knock. If somebody is standing outside and trying to determine what’s happening in there by peering through frosted glass, they have a …problem.

I’ve always wanted a bathroom door with an occupied/unoccupied indicator like airplane bathrooms.

Count me in on the weird side. I don’t want people seeing fuzzy silhouettes of me wiping my backside. Icky.

I’ll be relocating the door in our main bathroom in a year or so. I may consider some glass in the door since there is no window in the room.

Right now the door opens into our ‘living’ room. We are going to expand the bathroom and move the door into more of a common, entry type area.

I Might look for something that only has the window in the top. An arched window. Frosted. It would dress up the door for sure. And let in a little light. Hmmm……

I wouldn’t put full glass in a main bath door. Even if it’s frosted.

Like others have stated, If the door is closed, it’s in use. I would only put glass in the door to dress it up, or let in a little light.

What about frosted colored glass, or frosted stained glass in a purty pattern?

That would seem less exposed to me than frosted uncolored glass.

You’ve not lived if your bath doesn’t have an outside widow. :slight_smile:

I’d go with a solid door, but I’d also consider installing a skylight or one of those small light tube thingys, if that’s possible for you.

We are thinking of doing just that, installing an antique door with glass insert for our bathroom. Mainly to dress up the interior of the house in that area. We would put ina privacy shade for comfort.

I like the idea, its funky and provides a surprise when you open the door and see it leads to the bathroom and not a formal living space! :cool:

I don’t either. In fact, I’d rather not see fuzzy sihouettes of my parents, my Aunt Connie, my friend’s husband, or the contractor wiping his/her backside.

how about a wooden door with a window (frosted glass) above shoulder height ?

This is common in at least one foreign country I know of. It is considered impolite to leave the bathroom door open. (in smaller apts, this pretty much makes the toilet part of the living room).So the solution is: always keep the bathroom door closed. But then you can’t know if it is occupied–so they build a small window in the door. If the light is on inside, you know not to grab the doorknob, because it’s already occupied.

Yeah, I’d find it weird. In every place I’ve ever lived, if the door is shut, that means someone is in there, and if there’s any doubt, check the lock. This seems unnecessary and bizarre. I would think the owner of the house was a perv who got off on the sight of fuzzy half-naked people.

Word.

My manager actually has a frosted glass door for his guest bathroom. We recently did a work related retreat/barbeque at his house. I couldn’t use the frosty glass bathroom and had to make a trip to another floor when I had to go.

Well, that settles it. Instead of a new door, buy a robot that threatens to shoot people who view, but don’t make an offer on, the house.

Count me in as “creepd out.” Bathroom doors should be solid, thank you. If the door is cloosed and there’s any question as to occupancy, I’ll knock.

I have a bathroom with a frosted glass window. Well, it’s sort of frosted glass. It’s plain glass with some sort of adhesive frosting. It’s not exactly something I would have chosen, but when the previous owners put a half-bath in the former pantry, they left the original door with the glass window (shoulder height) and hung curtains. I put the frosting on becasue I didn’t want the curtains.

We have two bedrooms with bathrooms that have louvred doors, but that isn’t the most wierd feature. The original three bedrooms (we added two more) have french doors, with 15 panes each. When my wife first found the house, I was put-off with the idea of windowed bedroom doors. She put curtains on them and there has never been any problem in the 19 years we’ve lived here. Now it seems that those doors are among the unique features of our house.