"God loves you, I love you..."

I was watching the news a week or so ago and they played a clip of GWB saying to the camera, “Remember God loves you, I love you” and that he would handle the crisis. I am not sure of the second half of the statement but he was essentially saying that we are safe because God and W love us.

Listening to Bush’s language since taking over as President, since September 11, and, more recently, in his push for a war against Iraq, I’m wondering if W has a messiah complex.

He constantly invokes God during his speeches; he promises to deliver Americans from evil; he deems everything that comes before him as good/evil or with us/against us; he is absolutely sure that he is correct on this issue; he refuses to entertain dissenting opinions. Essentially, the faith that he has in Christianity seems to have morphed into an absolute faith in his ability to handle a major crisis single-handedly. Rather than having faith in God’s power, he has faith in his own authority and wisdom.

I am a Christian and I am very pleased that we have a President who prays and reads the Bible daily. However, I am constantly bristling, now, when W invokes God in his speeches. The separation of Church and State is absolutely essential to a healthy a government but is even more important for the Church. Bush is corrupting the image of Christianity by invoking its God during his quest for a war.

Jesus lived and died for love, peace, humility, unity, and brotherhood. Bush wants us to bomb Iraq.

Mambo, it’s great to hear a believer take your stand! Those that insist on melding government and religion are only screwing themselves. This fundamental rule has gotten lost in the patriotic rhetoric of the last year and a half. It’s good to know some of you understand the danger associated with a leader who can’t keep his religion inside the church.

“I am a Christian and I am very pleased that we have a President who prays and reads the Bible daily. However, I am constantly bristling, now, when W invokes God in his speeches.”

—So I’m sure you can appreciate how terrified we atheists are by him!

I’ve done some research, and what I see scares me. It seems that George W Bush is a man who believes that he is an agent of God on Earth. He feels like it is his job to dole out divine justice and to protect ‘good’ from ‘evil’. In his mind he has been charged to carry out God’s will.

That is why I have no confidence that the wars will ever stop under George W. Bush. He’s a man with a mission that extends far beyond simply protecting the United States.

I agree. Bush is doing absolutely nothing to help clear up the confusion over separation of church and state. I mean, it’s all well and good that he’s got so much faith in God and blah blah blah, but when he inflicts his religion on citizens who may or may not share his faith, it’s wrong.

Also, using religion to justify a war? What happened to, well, let’s see, the whole New Testament? Love thy neighbor and so forth? Ehhh.