GodDAMN. Ignorance is universal.

A co-worker of mine just came by for a visit and we yapped for awhile about the horrors in New York and Washington and PA. My friend is a born and bred Canadian, but most of her family is Egyptian. She’s a Muslim.

In the course of our conversation I learned some fascinating things:

• Israel is the “only country allowed” to have nuclear weapons except the USA. (She was amazed to hear that the UK, France, Russia, China, India and Pakistan - at least - all have the bomb.)

• 80 of 100 U.S. Senators are Jews.

• The USA does not send economic aid of any kind to Arab nations.

I gently corrected her on all these points and pulled some supporting evidence off the Net, and she conceded she was wrong - on those particular points. But jeez Louise, people are prejudiced. Arabs hate Jews, Jews hate Arabs, and now half the country hates “towel heads.”

It’s depressing, really. The funny thing is she was saying “We have to hunt down the terrorists and kill them all, kill Osama bin Laden, string him up.” There was no “The Americans deserved it” or sympathy for the terrorists - but there was prejudice and hatred lurking in there, and in 1 out of 100,000 people it’s that mild hatred that blows up and kills someone.

Jesus Christ, the woman was born and raised in one of the most multicultural nations in the history of the world and she’s contracted anti-Semetism? God, it’s depressing.

I’d highly recommend pointing her in the direction of the “Ask The Muslim Guy” thread in IMHO. It is extremely enlightening.

Jeg elsker dig, Thomas

Doesn’t matter, because we all know that the Elders of Zion run the country.

Link to a great website dedicated to fighting ignorance. They have a message board there where you can comisserate with other like-minded people about this sort of thing.

waterj2, I don’t know about you, but I prefer this link to yours.

I am struck by song lyrics to two different songs:

"First we got the bomb, and that was good
'Cause we love peace and motherhood,
Then Russia got the bomb, but that’s okay,
'Cause the balance of power’s maintained that way -
Who’s next?

France got the bomb, but don’t you grieve,
'Cause they’re on our side (I believe),
China got the bomb, but have no fears,
They can’t wipe us out for at least five years -
Who’s next?

Then Indonesia claimed that they
Were gonna get one any day,
South Africa wants two - that’s right:
One for the black and one for the white.
Who’s next?

Egypt’s gonna get one too,
Just to use on you know who,
So Israel’s getting tense,
Wants one in self defense -
“The Lord’s our shepherd,” says the psalm,
But just in case… we better get a bomb!
Who’s next?

Luxembourg is next to go,
And (who knows?) maybe Monaco,
We’ll try to stay serene and calm
When ol’ bin Laden* gets the bomb!
Who’s next?
Who’s next?
Who’s next?
Who’s next?
[/quote]

• “Who’s Next?” by Tom Lehrer

(*You may, of course, insert whosever name scans good here - “Colin Powell,” “young George W,” “ol’ Afghanistan,” etc.)

The other one:

• “National Brotherhood Week,” Tom Lehrer

(**Of course here you could insert any applicable couple - “Colin Powell and Osama,” etc.)

Mr. Lehrer also said, “I’m sure we all agree that we ought to love one another and I know there are people in the world that do not love their fellow human beings and I hate people like that.”

It’s amazing that this stuff was written over 30 years ago, and not a damn thing has changed.

Esprix

Esprix, you didn’t mention what ELSE Lehre said! As you mentioned it was written over 30 years ago(36 actually), but when Mr. Lehrer was beginning his speech about National Brotherhood Week he talked about “various events that are arranged to drive home the message of brotherhood. For example, this year, on the first day of the week, Malcom X was killed, which gives you an idea of how effective the whole thing is!”