Gods sabbath day SAVED!

Do you believe that Christians must observe to keep Gods sabbath day (friday sundown till saturday sundown) in order to be saved to the kingdom? The scriptures say yes you do. What have you been taught?

1. No

2. That it’s all allegory at best.

If you’re going to witness based on “what the Scriptures say,” proof is useful. In point of fact, Paul specifies what is required to “be saved”: “if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, ‘Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.’” (Romans 10:9-11)

In this context, Paul is very explicit that obedience to the Law is not salvific. What is, is taking Jesus as Lord, confessing Him aloud, and keeping His commandments. And what those commandments are, is made quite clear in the Gospels, cf. Matthew 7:12 and 22:34-40. In fact, Paul makes it clear in Galatians that attempting to save onesel by keeping the Law is making the Atonement void.

Now, you were saying…?

Now, what your saying is

"if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Unless you are obeying the voice and keeping his law

Note that Jews don’t believe that keeping the Sabbath is a necessary condition for salvation, either. The Jews regard the 613 commandments (yes, there are more than ten) given to Moses as being binding only on Moses’ descendants, that is to say, the Jews. Non-Jews are only expected to follow the seven commandments given to Noah, since everyone’s a descendant of Noah, and the Noahide commandments are basic enough that most people follow them without even knowing what they are.

Minor point: the 613 commandments are binding on the descendants of Jacob, not just on the descendants of Moses.

I don’t know about Christians, but I know anybody that wakes me up early on a weekend is deserving of a righteous smiting.

Hey Chronos
In the long run, it doesnt really matter what the Jews believe. What matters is the written Word.

Yes, but the Word says that God made a covenant with Abraham, who passed it on to his son Isaac, who passed it on to his son Jacob, who granted his birthright to his descendants. What Jews believe is that God will keep his word. Do you?

No wonder they need a special holy day just for guilt! :frowning:

In the long run, it doesn’t matter what anybody believes. In a hepta-jillion years or so, the Sun is going to destroy the earth, and all that Man has ever achieved. In the meantime, interrupting my sleeping in and watching football on the weekends is grounds for an asskicking of epic proportion. So sayeth Oak. So mote it be.

Jesus repeatedly said to do what you had to do on the Sabbath.

He also repeatedly showed little patience for those who put the letter of the law above the spirit of the law. So, I say watch a ball game and if Jesus comes by He’ll probably ask the score and maybe bum some beer and chips.

Lets take a look at the “tree of life”

GEN.3 [22] And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

In the beginning of the good book scripture says, we must take of the tree of life and live forever. This was after Adam and Eve goofed everything up. The “live for ever” at the end of the scripture points to the kingdom. Should you make it there, you shall forever be with the Lord.

PROVERBS 13 [12] Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is A TREE OF LIFE.[13]Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but HE THAT FEARETH THE COMMANDMENT SHALL BE REWARDED.[14] The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

In the middle of the book scripture speaks of the tree of life and is reserved for those who keep the commandments and the law. Do you believe God has changed His mind?

REVELATION 22 [13] I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.[14] BLESSED ARE THEY THAT DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, THAT THEY MAY HAVE RIGHT TO THE TREE OF LIFE, AND MAY ENTER IN THROUGH THE GATES INTO THE CITY.[15] For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.[16] I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

I reckon not sow. In the end of the book (new testament) scripture says you may take hold of the tree of life and enter into the city (1000yr. period of rest) only if you keep the commandments. One of those commandments is the 4th. That’s the short of it. But there is plenty in between which prove you must be observing to keep the sabbath in order to be saved

Hmmm…I am a Saints fan. Maybe He’d be willing to call in a favor from his old man…

I never understood why Sunday is the traditional day to go to church and whatnot. Surely God doesn’t want to be bothered on his day off?

In other words: sleep in, with God’s blessing! :slight_smile:

So, FlyingDoDo, out of all the commandments in Scripture, what made you focus on this one to start a thread about?

Wait, all dogs don’t go to heaven?

Probably a point worth mentioning, one that’s probably been mentioned over and over again; if you give credence to what scriptures say you are on a slippery slope of either immorality or creating your own custom religion by ‘picking and choosing’ which bits of scripture you want to follow.

Ah, but which written word?

Just the Torah?
The full Bible?
The Koran?
The Book of Mormon?