Going bald

I’m in agreement with the others. Get used to it. the sooner the better. I started a receeding hairline young enough to get me into bars underaged,thanks to a military haircut to complement it.I hated it for years until I finally was secure enough to realize it didn’t matter to me or my SO. The girls actually prompted me to cut it closer. The only time I think about it anymore is when dad visits,and he has more hair than I do.

Propecia or minoxidil (Rogaine), man. If propecia makes you limp (unlikely), just stop it, and the side-effects go away. Of course, so does the hair. Or just rub the minoxidil on your head, daily, forever. It will work. I thought about doing that, but finally just said “screw it, too much work” and accepted fate.

Qadgop, MD

FWIW, I think bald can be incredibly sexy. And men that don’t let it bother them are even sexier. To all you bald men out there that know you have more to offer than hair, I salute you.

Besides, it’s hard to date someone that you have to fight over the mirror/hair products/blow dryer every day. :smiley:

I’d just like to say that I find all bald men incredible sexy. I have no idea what it is about them, but every time I’m out and see one, they definately get a second look, and usually a third and a fourth. A bald man with confidence about his head is even better. Wow…I better go take a cold shower…all these balding men admitting to it in one place.

I’ve been on both sides of this issue. I’ve shaved my head in the past, and currently I use minoxidil. I started losing my hear a few years ago, and began using minoxidil awhile back; my hair loss has stopped completely. Being bald doesn’t bother me that much. Like I said, I’ve been there and done it. But it’s better to have a choice in the matter.

Aghris, welcome to the club. I’m also going bald, and I’m only 23. My hair also has been fine my whole life, and it’s just getting thinner and thinner. For the first time in my life, I got major scalp sunburns this summer. My hairline is receding, but it’s just thinning so much overall. I have my hair quite short now (about 1/8th inch on the sides, 1/2 inch on top), and it makes it look better. Then the thin hair just looks like the hairstyle. I have incentive to keep it short, though…I’m in the Army. (well, not full time yet, but very soon). I recently buzzed the whole thing, just because I was sick of dealing with my hair, and I was happy to learn that I have a nicely shaped head…which I’m grateful for, since I will undoubtedly go completely bald on top eventually.

Take solace in one of my favorite lines:
“God gave some people beautiful heads…the rest he gave hair.”

Jman

Brotherboy started balding around the age of 16. He’s horribly self-conscious about it. :frowning:

I’d like to back up the “hair transplants are nasty” statement… ick, I say.

Rogaine and Propecia don’t work for everyone. Hey, embrace the natural look.

My hair started going when I was 14. I got my ass ragged off about my receding hairline whe I was in the eighth grade! That has got to be the reason I’m such a nutcase now (along with not being breast fed as a baby plus all the crack I smoke).

Minoxidil works, but it can be a pain in the ass spraying it on twice every single day.

Don’t we men get the hair pattern of our maternal grandfather?

In theory, yes we do get our Maternal Grandfather’s hair loss pattern. In practice, not necessarily.

I am losing my hair not dissimilarly to my Granddad. Amongst other things also just like him - like build.

But my brother has my Dad’s hair, and isn’t losing it at all. (Lucky Bastard) Instead it’ll go a distinguished silver and be thick and curly for decades yet.

I’ll be shiny bald with the remaining tufts sticking out like a bird’s nest. Dammit. And shaving it all off is just high maintenance, just so I look like some sort of weedy pirate.

Oh well. Just add that to my list of characteristics that make me look like a total weirdo geek boy.

Of course it’s easy for those who have well shaped heads to talk about letting nature take its course and shaving what’s left. I’ve had four concussions! My head is lumpier than your aunt Matilda’s Thanksgiving mashed potatoes!

Forgive me, I’m just being bitter again. Someone bring me my pill, please.

Not entirely on the maternal Grandfather

My grandfather is pretty bald but I still got a pretty thick head of hair (that sticks straight up…I look like a “white Buckwheat” according to my g/f)

Of course, he wore caps all his life. The bane of thinning hair around is baseball caps. I have seen more sports stars with thin tops than any other place

Is there any evidence to back up the claim that caps do cause baldness?

So Nymysys, how are you doin, sweety??:smiley:
I’ve been shaving my head for about 3 months. At first, friends and aquaintences were shocked, but that was because I used to wear it so long. Now that people have had time to adjust to it, I get compliments on it all the time. They say I have a ‘great shape’ to my head, whatever that means.

It’s really cool. No bad hair days. It always looks the same.

BTW, if you shave your head, you have to grow a goatee. There’s a rule, somewhere.

Ack! Tell me that’s not true!! (well some people already did. phew!) I only know my grandfather from pictures, but that is definately not the look I want to go for.

Thanks you guys, I appreciate the comments. I do have some minor reactions though:

Funny, I hear that all the time, but when I ask a women how they would feel when they lost their hair, the reply is almost always the same and none of these women would accept it… Ofcourse, being bald for men is more acceptable than being bald for women, but the feeling when losing your hair is undoubtedly the same. So, racerx, as a woman, how would you feel losing your long golden locks? (assumption made that racerx has long, golden hair).

Easy enough to say, but for some strange reason it is hard for me to say “there, accepted it. Done”. Also, why should I accept it if there are alternatives? I consider myself very easy in accepting things I cannot change, but that doesn’t mean you can’t go looking around to see if it indeed can’t be changed before I accept it. If I were incredibly fat, I wouldn’t accept that either, I would go to the gym or so or whatever.
Shallow as I am, I think looks are quite important, and since I’m not very goodlooking from myself, I need all the help I can get and that means, amongst others, full hair.

Phew! I’m incredibly glad that shaving is not an option. I cannot imagine how I would look with a goatee, but I can envision the word ‘dweep’ being used a lot. Either that or the sound of continious mocking laughter somewhere in the back of my mind.

Aghris How would you feel if you were pregnant? Asking me to empathize with a balding man is something that I can’t do. While it exists, the possibility is very slim that I will lose my (red) hair just as you will prolly not give birth.

Do you get tired of women asking you if they look fat? I know I do. Thats what I am talking about. Same thing with listening to men fret over their hair loss.

Women and men all have their different insecurities/sensitivities/vanities (call it what you will.)
I find it difficult to understand them because I just dont put that much stock in outward appearance.

Sorry you are balding.

Let’s drink to that! I think I’d rather be bald, flat-footed, fat and hunch-backed than pushing a baby through.

Yeah, I too get tired of women telling me they look fat. Thank god there aren’t that many women in my life :wink: I only have to listen to men complaining that their belly starts to sag and their nose hair is coming out. So I know exactly how I sound and there no sympathy needed. Thanks tho…