Going to bed with wet Hair....

My mother, in her wisdom, claimed that going to be with wet hair would mean you woke up with a headache. Is there any truth to this or is is just a rumor? Did anybody else get told this as a child? Is there any scientific explanation?

I do it all the time. When you wake up in the morning, you’ll know why I call it “nature’s styling gel”.

This question came up recently, and someone pointed out that it’s not a good idea because. . . if you do it habitually, you could end up with mildew pillows, as well as a hairdo you probably didn’t want (jerking thumb upwards).

*MY[/] mom always told me it would give me a cold, so occaisonally I would try to get out of school the next day by not drying the head. Never worked. You might get a headache from trying to comb out the knots, but thats a WAG, as I’ve never hair longer than a couple inches.

*MY[/] mom always told me it would give me a cold, so occaisonally I would try to get out of school the next day by not drying the head. Never worked. You might get a headache from trying to comb out the knots, but thats a WAG, as I’ve never had hair longer than a couple inches.

Who doesn’t want to look like Don King? :stuck_out_tongue:

You get extreme bedhead from going to bed with wet hair. I used to drive my mom nuts by waiting for the bus for 10 minutes with wet hair. Frozen solid wet hair. She’d have fits! Other than that, it can’t hurt you. I can’t believe you haven’t already defied her and found out for yourself!

I do get headaches from going to bed with wet or even damp hair. Even if I dry my head before and it’s still damp at the nape of my neck, I’ll wake up with a HUGE headache. Nothing but time seems to get rid of them.

When you go to bed with wet or damp hair, you become slightly uncomfortable with the feeling of wetness on your head. You tend to position your head not in a normal relaxed way, you tend to stay in one position longer because even when your hair is dry, you still sort of remember that it was wet and in your not so lucid thinking you compensate your head in a strange way.

This results in a stiff neck, poor sleep and a tension headache. This usually only happens to light sleepers. My wife is one and she always wakes up with a headache in the rare times she goes to bed with wet hair. I can sleep thru a B-52 carpet bombing sortie, wet hair does not bother me in the slightest bit before or after sleep. I did observe the way my wife slept when her hair was wet. She was trying to keep her hair away from her face even after her hair was completely dry.

I’ve almost always kept my hair quite short, above shoulder length. It’s really fine too, with natural wave that comes and goes as it pleases.
If I happen to take a shower or bath at night, I love going to bed with wet hair because I wake up with these beautiful natural curls.
I’ve never noticed a headache though.

from what i understand it’s not headaches - you don’t go to bed with wet hair the same reason you don’t go to bed with wet clothes, or sleep in a damp bed or whatever

My mother, too, gave me this explanation, but it’s never been borne out by my experiences. I’ve never heard the “headache” explanation before today. I do try to dry my hair before bed, however, as i don’t really find damp pillows very comfortable.

I never go to bed with wet hair. Not because I get a headache, but rather I wake up with little blisters on my scalp. I’m not sure what that’s about but I always wake up with these tiny little bumpy things and it takes a day or two for them to scab.