Going without toilet paper: Meet the adults switching to a reusable cloth

[hijack]You just brought back a wonderful childhood memory of climbing the old 12 foot cedar stumps and logs left because they were “inferior” that, lying down, were taller than my grandfather, Weyehaeuser left after logging. They were left 50 years before I was born.[/hijack]

We don’t use paper towels, but toilet paper? Pry it out of my cold dead hands, if you must.

You’ll take my Diva Cup from my cold, dead…hands? Yes, you have to insert it and that involves touching your gentians. But it’s seriously a life changer.

As a former cloth diaperer I can attest that those ladies are probably right about it not smelling. When you do cloth diapering no poo goes into your hamper or washing machine, basically you get one of these and rinse off all of the poo from your diaper or wipe and then store it wet in your hamper. Wash at least every other day and you won’t have any stink.
Of course if you have a sprayer to wash off the poo from your cloth why not just eliminate the middle man…

My little guy isn’t potty trained yet, we switched to disposables recently so my sister can use his diapers for her newborn. I was shocked at the stink of disposable diapers, we used to store the dirty cloth diapers in a regular trashcan with the lid down and never experienced any stink. With the disposables the #2s go into a plastic bag and straight into the trash chute. The #1s go into individual plastic bags and then into a trash can which is emptied every other day or so and still it’s stinky…

It’s always in the last place you look …

Hey, I actually have a real answer for this one. :slight_smile:

You herd their chicks by canoe into a net corral with a ramp into the back of a cube van. They follow the chicks. (It’s how our municipality gets rid of Canada Goose.)

There are a lot of family cloth people on a cloth diapering board I’ve been reading. I mean, it’s a little nutty, but frankly it seems less nutty if you’re cloth diapering too, since, you know, you’ve already got a bunch of cloth diapers hanging around the place with poo on them. Just throw it all in the wash.

I mean, we’re not doing it, but I see how you get there. I do wonder what happens when guests come over, though.

Confusion over the cloth napkins.

I would never consider family cloth, I hate laundry with a passion*. But I would just love to visit a house where they have cloth toilet paper. I love the idea of a flannel wipe to wipe your bum with, especially if it was wet with a little warm water.

*Why did I do cloth diapers considering laundry is my least favorite things in the world, I can only blame pregnancy brain.

No actually I dont want your Diva Cup … :rolleyes:

Speaking as someone whose job it was to keep track of the various and sundry chemicals used in recycling paper, I can see their point about not exposing your most delicate bits to any remnants of them. Ammonia and sulfuric acid shouldn’t touch my ladyparts. After reading this article and other discussions around it the last few days I’ve had to pause for thought.

I think ammonia and any acids are neutralized in the processing arent they? Ive never burnt my bits on TP.

I have never used a bidet. Do you use soap, or just rinse? And just your hand to wash?

Regards,
Shodan

When I have encountered one (in Europe) I just used it like a Water Pik for my underbits. And then pat dry with the TP. No soap but what do I know, Im a Murkin.

eta almost forgot my bidet story: my plumber was telling me about how he kept getting calls to fix the upstairs toilet by a certain family. Turns out the grandmother was using the bidet to wash her feet and kept overflowing it!

Thanks.

It’s kind of embarrassing to admit the deficiencies in my potty-training at my age - thank God for the anonymity of the Internet.

Regards,
Shodan

Why, does she normally wash her feet in the toilet?

I think she’s of a culture that does wash feet frequently and she perceived that was the purpose of the gadget.

Why would it overflow? As long as the toilet isn’t plugged up the water level in it remains constant. If she was using the bidet to wash her feet, she was just blasting the bottoms of them. If she wasn’t careful, the water would have been everywhere but the toilet its self.

She was probably splashing around. Not sure, I just got the story from the plumber.

I don’t know what’s so odd about washing your feet in a bidet though, that’s pretty much their only use around here I would think. Even more so since, a least here in france, the toilet and the bathroom are separated 90% of the time, and the bidet goes in the bathroom.

Heh. Yeah, we use the mini-showers in much of urban India too, and I honestly don’t understand why they’re not standard world over, especially since most people who experience them seem to like them. I seriously dislike the pooping aspect of visiting exclusively toilet paper countries.