Going without toilet paper: Meet the adults switching to a reusable cloth

*In a HuffPost Live discussion, bloggers Angela Davis, Kathleen Quiring and Makala Earley explain why they’ve decided to go paperless, revealing that it’s not as messy or unhygienic as it may sound.

‘It is definitely possible,’ insists Mikala, who says she and her husband stopped using toilet paper about a year ago. ‘It is almost seen as a necessity [and] it doesn’t have to be, and it’s been a lot of fun to learn how to do it this way.’*
LINK

Not sure Id want my face associated with that thing but whatever works for them.

Actually, if a person is eating right, there shouldnt even be that much to wipe away, so it might be a non-(t)issue. Meanwhile we use the cheap 1-ply toilet paper and havent had any plumping problems.

It’s “a lot of fun”. Okay…

It was the bad old days of the Soviet Republics. A man passed a friend and noticed he was carrying a roll of precious toilet paper. “Ivan!” he boomed, “Where did you buy that? I must run get some before the store runs out!” “Sorry, Mischa, my old friend,” Ivan replied. “This is an old roll - I’m just bringing it back from the cleaners.”

Even in the greenest mindset, some things really need to be disposable. If you can’t face flushing a tree down the pot, use the Asian/Indian method instead.

Considering that almost all paper is made from trees that were farmed for that purpose, cutting back on paper use because of “destruction of thousands of trees” makes as much sense as not eating bread because of “destruction of thousands of wheat plants.”

These people are just too precious for words. I remember cloth diapers and would not want to repeat the experience.

So youre saying cloth diapers are a good form of birth control? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, well. . . reinforces in my mind that we have far too many lunatics out walking loose among us. :smack:

I have a bidet and don’t use much paper at all. And probably less water than they use to wash their cloth wipes.

I guess they don’t entertain, right?

No. Life is too short. Just no, thanks.

We all have a “vertical bidet,” too. Just sayin’.

I have better things to do than shake out the corn from the cloth wipes thankyouverymuch. eta: bidet is a good idea!

And I thought I was being tasteless reading out the Haribo sugar-free gummy bear reviews at a restaurant last night. :smiley:

When I was in Thailand, something that I found fascinating was that the toilets all had small showers attached, for hosing down your lower regions (or at least I sure as heck hope that’s what they’re for, it would be awful if someone caught me using one and it turned out that they were meant exclusively for pet hamster cleaning).

Brilliant idea, fun to use, cuts down drastically or eliminates completely the amount of residue that you need to wipe off. I have no idea why we don’t have those over here.

(Really, it was all I talked about after that trip. “How was the scenery? The food?” “That was all great, sure, but let me tell you about the toilets…”)

Of all the things to cut out of my daily routine in order to be green or save a little money, toiletpaper isn’t even on the list of possibilities. Sure, there are days when the paper comes back perfectly clean and leaves me wondering, “where did it go?”, but there are other times I feel like Andy from* Parks & Recreation* when he’s talking to his doctor and says “I wipe, and wipe, and still have to wipe again. It’s like I’m wiping a marker”.

I heard about a public toilet in UK or somewhere that graciously gives you… 3 sheets of TP. Sometimes I’m lucky to use only 10x that. That sounds like a horrible nightmare where you wake up sweating, honestly.

Any smell at all? Fucking liars. And babies may wear cloth diapers, but they still smell like poop. I am sure someone knowledgeable could do a cost analysis of how much water they’re wasting washing these. I don’t think hippie-types normally use dollars saved as a metric

Either that or they’re trolling us.

This may be true for certain parts of the world, but in the Pacific NW Untied States and most of Canada, paper is made from the limbs, stumps and scrawny parts of trees that used to be just pushed up into a pile and burned. Like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=timber+slash+burns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=alnpUojBDdH1oATjv4KYDQ&ved=0CCQQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=934

The good wood is still cut into lumber and only the remains are chipped for paper pulp. There has been a revolution in forest practices within my lifetime where I live. Years before, all the stumps, and debris would have just been burned, now it is too valuable and gets chipped and sent to the paper mills. The idea that whole, good trees are being cut just for toilet paper is a myth. At least in my area.

Not so much liars as desensitized. I grew up in a town with a packing plant/feedlot on the edge of town. If you lived there, you rarely noticed the smell. Now visiting during the summer I wonder how I could stand it.

Probably not. There have always been nuts out on the fringes; the beauty of our little global e-village is that it’s just as easy (and a lot more entertaining) to report on far-fringe thinkers, doers, politicians, sellebrities, etc. as it is on anything more meaningful.

Some junior city councilman elected on a handful of fringe votes in a fruitcake California town introduces a resolution to ban paper towels? National headlines and a roaring debate, coupled with frantic stockpiling of paper towels all across the country.