"GoNoodle" - scam?

So I got two emails informing me that I had recently created a “free family GoNoodle account” - something I definitely did not do. It also said “we send confirmation emails to parents because we care about kid safety online” - and also, “download our apps for GoNoodle on iOS and Android!”

Sounds scammy, but what scam would have official apps for download?

I haven’t clicked on anything yet, to be safe. Anyone heard of GoNoodle or what is this scam about?

The whole idea of checking with parents is nonsense, of course. But if they have apps to download, isn’t it spam rather than scam?

There’s nothing that says it has to be a scam. You would be amazed at the number of people who sign up with a company and provide (presumably by accident) an email that is not theirs.

Nothing online to indicate that it is a scam, if the link goes to gonoodle.com and not to some variation.

It looks like a kids learning game. It sounds safe. Do you have kids using the internet?

No, no kids. But I’m perturbed at an account apparently having been created with my name and email without my doing it.

Just changed my email password to be safe.

That is really strange. I think teachers use that site. Anyone doing that?

GoNoodle has some dance videos on YouTube for kids.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There has been a long history of scammers signing people up for accounts at sites using emails harvested by spammers.

I’m not sure about this particular site but there has been some problems with some sites where a “secondary” email address is also attached to the account.

E.g., there are sites which harvest contact lists (why do people let these sites do this at all???). You stupidly decide to finish registering at the site, give them your contact list, the scammer’s do a password reset request to their secondary email address, log in, scoop the contact list (not just emails, but names which are really helpful).

Next thing you know your friends are getting emails forged from you, addressing them by name saying “Click on this fun link.”

This is as far as I got. Delete them and get on with your life.

Regards,
Shodan

PS - if there was a link, don’t click on it.

Is your email address a variation on your real name? It’s not unheard of for someone to make a typo while signing up for a service, and receiving multiple signup emails in a row is something that would happen if the intended recipient didn’t get it the first time and had the signup message resent.

Plus, sometimes people don’t understand how email works and assume they just have one the way they just have a postal address and put in firstlast@gmail.com because that’s all they know, or they didn’t want to be spammed and made up a realistic email address that happened to be yours.

GoNoodle is a great website for elementary classrooms, full of videos just the right length for taking a quick break. Three minutes of dancing to popcorn pop, or of some goofy dudes rapping about syllables, or of a bunch of doofuses singing a camp song, or some hippie-drippy meditation relaxation–it’s all good. They try to get you to sign up for the premium service with lots more videos, but the free site is great.

But if you don’t need it, definitely don’t sign up for it.

My son has a GoNoodle account (it’s great - he likes it a lot and it’s a good break from MineCraft).

However, it was set up through his school and I certainly didn’t have to create and account. If you don’t have a kid, that is doubly suspicious. I would just delete it.

No, my email has nothing to do with my name. I am wondering if someone hacked into my email, but I changed the password.

It’s not necessary to hack into your email to put your email address in a form. My guess is somebody has the address [EMAIL=“velocityx@example.com”]velocityx@example.com, but they put [EMAIL=“velocity@example.com”]velocity@example.com into the form, and now you’re getting emails from the site. Just like somebody doesn’t need to “get” your phone number to call you, they just put in some digits and your phone happens to be the one that rings.

A good site will send a verification email “click here to verify this is your address, if you didn’t sign up for this, don’t click and you’ll never hear from us again.” Many sites, which are legitimate, but poorly run, will just start sending stuff to that address.

I get some woman in Florida’s Petco receipts, because she entered my email into their system. If it ends up bothering me enough I’ll use the password recovery feature from the site and change it or do whatever is necessary to disable the account.