Good books about photography or photographers?

Any recommendations?

I’m getting progressively more involved in taking pictures, and have plenty of recommendations for how-to guides.

I’d like to know what books about photography as an art form, or the history of photography, or particular movements, or specific photographers, are worth checking out.

Anyone?

One book that’s worth getting is The Photography Book – it has one picture each from hundreds of photographers, so you can see a wide variety of styles.

Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs by Ansel Adams.

One of my all-time favourites. It works equally well as coffee table art book, history and philosophy text (“The negative is the score and the print is the performance”), a series of case-studies, and how-to manual all rolled into one. Particularly fascinating if you’re into landscape photography (like me), although his insights on film and developing are rapidly becoming obsolete in the digital world.

Galen Rowell’s Vision. Beyond the wonderful images and stories, he turned me on to the wonderful little Yashica T4. And he died too soon.

Thanks. These are awesome suggestions.

The Family of Man was a great collection of photos from all over the world, showing everyone from African tribesmen to white-collar execs in Manhattan. Came out in the late 1950s, IIRC, and is still in print. Well worth a look.