Good-bye Straight Up Dopes

I have been the victim of blatant censorship at the hands of one of your moderators.

It’s going to take ALOT longer than you thought.

P.S. FEEL FREE TO DELETE MY USER NAME MOTHERFUCKERS.

“Right is only half of what’s wrong” - George Harrison - Old Brown Shoe -

Random question - did this guy remind anyone else of blando?

Uh, just a technical question: How does one who is being censored manage to post whatever he likes in this forum?

If he was, indeed, somehow censored, I’d like to know why. Although extremely illogical and even annoying I don’t recall DF99 doing anything more objectionable than just being wrong all the time. What’s up, Nick?

Falcon - After reading posts by people like spedrick, dragonfly, and a handfull of Icelanders, I’m kinda nostalgic for blando.

Reminding myself that you can’t reason with an unreasonable person, I point out to you that the first rule around here (one you agreed to, btw) is “Don’t Be a Jerk.”

You also agreed to this:

Either play nice or leave.

your humble TubaDiva/SDStaffDiv
for the Straight Dope

Papabear -

I can see being nostaglic for blando - at least he was only sort of annoying. Compared to the ranting I’ve seen recently, he was downright normal.

I did not delete anything of that schmuck’s until days later, when I found one post from him in a different thread wherein he called me a “moron.” I think he’s referring to my objecting to his vitriol in both of the “subliminal seduction” threads.

I closed both those threads unedited.
The evidence is there for all to see.
He was warned. He persisted. He’ll be back.

Nickrz
GQ Mod

I did not delete anything of that schmuck’s until days later, when I found one post from him in a different thread wherein he called me a “moron.” I think he’s referring to my objecting to his vitriol in both of the “subliminal seduction” threads.

I closed both those threads unedited.
The evidence is there for all to see.
He was warned. He persisted. He’ll be back.

Nickrz
GQ Mod

[[I have been the victim of blatant censorship at the hands of one of your moderators.]] dragonfly
It’s probably because you’re an asshole.

[[It’s going to take ALOT longer than you thought.]]
Well, you’re certainly slolw in picking up on things.

Nickrz did the right thing to leave the unedited boards available. I feel like I just slogged through Hades.
And folks, unless you really know what you’re talking about and can back it up-- never get into an argument with Ambushed! What patience! What cites! Hats Off!

Wow, no kidding, Doug. That was indeed a virtuoso performance.

Somebody wrote:

Why use censorship to solve your lack of integrity and ingenuity? Apparently you don’t even have both feet on the ground… is by accident or design?

There was no reason to close the thread - unless you couldn’tkeep up.

Only 98 to go…

Doug Bowe wrote:

to which Nickrz replied:

I’ve seldom felt so honored, fellas. I humbly thank you both!

I guess modesty should have kept me from repeating those quotes, but after engaging dragonfly and someone who shall remain nameless (but whose handle also ends in 99) in so many seemingly infinite rhetorical loops it just felt really, really nice to hear that not everybody thinks I’m stupid!

But as you can see from those “subliminal” threads, citations and patience often just aren’t enough for some people to even meet you half way. Just look at how much effort I wasted on research into circumcision vs. HIV only to have APB9999 say something on the order of: “your 12 citations versus my 1 clearly shows there’s no general consensus on the issue…”

I don’t suppose you could put in a good word for me over in the “epistemology over here” thread over in Great Debates, could you? Just a thought – it’s probably too late anyway…

By the way, beatle, you made me LOL!

Response to EdZotti:

Once again I must reiterate my position on the matter of the blatant and sophomoric censorship of my threads on your boards.

To me this smacks of incompetent behavior (read : soft-in-the-headisms) and administration of these boards IN THIS CASE. IHMO I just hope that whatever you have isn’t contagious!

To wit:

Censorship is for children.

Censorship is a metaphor for those who aspire to be on severely limited and self-serving ego-centric(?) power trips (read: mightily unclear on da’ concept).

Censorship is an artifact of totalitarian states best described and worshipped in science fiction texts.

Censorship is and can be expensive and time consuming and usually not necessary in my view - lets’ not forget counter-productive - for some perhaps most reasonable people - but it usually suffices I guess for most for a daily quick fix of sham religion and non-existent morals for the pseudo-intellectually correct of this planet, whomever they are and wherever they might gather. That’s why this incongruent and poorly thought out action is FREE (read : arbitrary and thoughtless), in cause and effect perhaps even hilarious for some.
Censorship is best left in ill-defined fuzzy terms and archaic (read: nonsensical) and haphazardly chosen terminology.

But then again who wants to find out that they have been completely sold out; and this willingness to be sold out and to sell others out at the drop of an errrr… marbles, is a very thin disguise in my book for a materialistic lifestyle and of - you guessed it - American cultural choices, picks and trendy (read : soft-in-the-headisms) selections. I can only pray to MY GOD that any clown any one all that is knows what the words mean as this is now also highly and questionable (read : highly unlikely-isms) IHMO that is.

Hey. I’ll say it again - no big deal. But then again YOU are the one who has to look at your fellow humans in the face every day.

This i believe is because censorship can only be a non-sensical and poorly thought-out action when it is looked at in the context of an unchecked moral failing due in part to those who partake and nod in approval when it occurs. It makes for a lousy interface for human communcations if you ask me that is, and makes me wonder; but not too much. Misery is also a pain in the rear-end and just as magically poorly defined. After all I have to read the paper every morning just like everybody else.

Hey, I’m new here - did the above make sense to anybody else? Or am I just having a bad day?

sosumi

Sounds like a few people that I’ve met on another message board. They insult people and then expect to get away with it. Then they post nonsense when they get censored or banned.

OK, so I’m at a party, hoping to enjoy myself, and someone starts yelling obscenities and taking off their clothes. Does the host try to take some action to stop this, or does the host smile politely and say, “Censorship is for children”? Or does the host say, in academic tones, “Censorship is an artifact of totalitarian states.”

If the host doesn’t take some action, then in very short time, everyone else will have left the party.

Sorry, but IMHO insisting on manners and courtesy in public debate isn’t censorship – it’s insisting on manners and courtesy.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t “Good-bye” something you say just before you LEAVE?

OAllright then. I can read and write. So sue me!

Yeah you’re absolutely right. You got me on that one. It was a cheap shot comparing my thoughtless assinine assides with your classical remarks. What if it is contagious IMHO? :wink:

Hey! They are just words. Why elaborate on nonsensical logical disinformation? I won’t tell if your won’t. And believe me I won’t cry about it. But you sure will (or am I dreaming?) :slight_smile:

CKDextHavn wrote:

What’s the fuss about? After all they might get censored as well. Maybe artificial would be a better choice of words.

PapaBear wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but how could it possibly matter when censorship is the call of the day. Censorship is for ADULTS? Really? Or am I still just dreaming?

Where are those damn pseudo-intellectuals when you really need them… :wink:

Does the term, non sequitur, mean anything to you? You talk an awful lot but you don’t say anything!