Good ear plugs for performing musicians

I am looking for the type of ear plugs that performing musicians or crew wear. They cut back the background and crowd noise, but still allow the wearer, particularly vocalists, to hear well enough to perform.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

It’s possible that such a thing exists, but my immediate thought is that you’re looking for one product that performs opposite functions. I’m a singer, and can’t imagine *any *kind of ear plugs allowing me to hear enough; are you perhaps thinking of the in-ear monitors that some singers use to ensure they can hear what they want to (including themselves)? The crew could be wearing noise-cutting ear plugs while the musicians are wearing in-ear monitors…

I found this article for musicians. It explains what to look for and recomends several brands of ear plugs.

Thank you Ace!

Misnomer - you are right. A singer needs to hear in order sing on key and other goodness. I’m not looking for recording headset though. I’m looking for a special earplug that filters loud noises, but lets you hear what you need to sing during live performances. I know they exist. I’ll see if Ace’s cite has any good ones.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using the Etymotic earplugs for years. I’m not a musician but I’ve worn them at many concerts and I’m very pleased with the sound quality.

Sunny Daze, glad I could help.

I need to get a set of ear plugs too. I play guitar and the high notes get pretty loud.

Etymotic is good. Anything that hits the points that ace linked to will work. The key is the flat frequency response. I got my set from a local music store and paid $40-50 for them. I don’t think you’ll do better paying more, but don’t cheap out and get something that’s $10.

The article I linked gives a good review for the Etymotic plugs. Very flat freq response with 20db attenuation.

I’ll order a pair from Amazon.

Eventually I may get a mold of my ears and get a custom set. But, for now the off the shelf should be enough for acoustic sets that I currently play.

I carry a pair of Etymotics ER-20s in a metal pill case on my keychain, so I’m never anywhere without hearing protection. They work great, and they have made it possible to work as a concert videographer down by the stage.

By the way, it’s not the concert sound system that is the danger to your hearing, but the damn guitar amps.

As soon as I get money ahead, I want to get a custom molded set of Etymotics “Musician’s Earplugs” made.

In short, I heartily support the company, they make an excellent product. But another reason is that their founder Mead Killion is a personal hero of mine. He’s an audiologist who has been battling his peers to bring cheap hearing aids to the US, that there is no reason for them to cost thousands, that a $200 “Hunter’s Ear” can outperform many of the expensive ones.

I also have a pair of Etymotics ER-20s. I’ve only compared them to (interior IMO) foam plugs though, nothing fancier. They’re not super comfy in my ears but for the occasional few-hour use, they’re ok.

Never knew there was such a thing, but my ignorance – on this topic, at least – has been fought. :slight_smile:

It’s a little off-topic now, but I wasn’t talking about any kind of headset. An in-ear monitor is shown in the picture at the top of this article.

Yep, sorry. I got that flipped around. :o

I’ll take a look at the Etymotics everyone. I’ve got a pair of Earasers that I like for most things, but I’d like a little less vocal flattening, and, possibly, more background noise dampening.

My experience is quite the opposite - I got some volume-reducing earplugs for on-stage playing - mostly for my right ear that points at the drum kit, and my left ear without an earplug is aimed at my monitor for bass/vocals.

However, what that one earplug allows me to do is hear my own singing voice within my head (not the other voices), allowing me to track pitch so much better - like blocking one ear with your hand, which is considered by some to be poor form in a choir. I use it all the time when singing, now. It has made a big difference. I wish I had them when I was in a choir.

Oh for sure. You can hear your own voice so well with these.