Good Eateries in Calgary

lost in cyberspace, you mean Chianti’s. I don’t know how I could have forgotten it. That place has GREAT food, and a great atmosphere. YUM.

Mmm, Greek pizza with black olives and feta; guess what I want for supper now? :smiley:

I don’t think we’ve ever gone to Chianti’s, which is odd, considering that Jim loves pasta of any kind. I’ll add it to the list.

Don’t add it to the list. Make it FIRST. Mmmmm. I lived just a few blocks from there (17th ave, 11 Street) as a poor just out of school young’n, and ate dinner there many nights.

My favorite Calgary restaurant is Teatro’s which, although upscale, makes a fine, downhome pizza plus lots of other delicious fare.

FeatherLou: I’m going to make a suggestion here, and don’t dismiss it out of hand.

First, I’m a born and bred Chicagoan, with the attendant love of pizza. I love the deep-dish, the thin-crust, the whole panoply of 'Za. I too love the “skunky” sauce (I always call it “rich” sauce, and waiters “get” it). It comes from having tomato paste as the base for the sauce, and not water. It makes for a slightly pricier pizza.

Now, the suggestion. Order from Lou Malnati’s online (google…I can’t figure out the coding). Yes, it comes frozen like a brickbat, but it really does cook well. Make it hot, with the upraised edges slightly burnt, and I promise you will have a pizza the whole of Canada will envy. :slight_smile:

I can order pizza from another country? Even in this day of globalization, that still sounds…awesome.

Okay, Chianti’s goes to the TOP of the list. Jim and his pasta jones will be happy. :smiley:

Pink Pearl is good Chinese, but the location can be an issue. On 4th street and about 14th or 15th is Peking Dragon.

Let me put it this way - I used to order from them when I was in high school, 20 years ago. They are still there and whenever I am in Calgary I go there at least once, if not more, to eat. Great ginger beef.

Drat - it looks like Lou Malnati only delivers within the U.S. I might have to do something drastic and learn to make my own pizza sauce.

I’ve eaten at Lou Malnati’s. I don’t think I prefer deep-dish to what we get in Calgary.

Is Tom’s House of Pizza still on Mcleod Trail?

So far as I know…I’ve never had their pizza.

No suggestions on pizza - but Mango Shiva in Penny Lane has an awesome Indian lunch buffet.
Tamarine, (the old Legion on 8th Avenue) has decent Vietnamese, and is a little less crazy-busy than the Oriental Phoenixes.

You know who used to have the best Mexican pizza was a place called Big Al’s, way in the South somewhere. MAN was that stuff good. And they didn’t deliver to my place (at the time, I was on Edmonton Trail and 4 Ave NE), so it was a loooong drive to get it.

For sushi Was on centre street is my favorite, and it has really great service which can be a bit of a challenge at sushi restaraunts.

I second Ginger’s vote for Chili Club - their lemon grass prawns are so good I occasionally dream about them.

Blue Nile in Kensington is a great choice for Ethiopian food.

Melrose is pretty medium in the food department, but on the weekends they have brunch that features a Bernard Callebaut chocolate fountain - trust me, it makes a regular cheese omelete really fantastic. :smiley:

Hey girl, haven’t seen you in awhile. Wanna go to Ikea when I’m home this summer? And then, Thai!

I don’t know about Macleod Trail, but I went to the one on Centre Street, and it was one of the worst pizzas I’ve ever had.

Hey, Ginger, did you hear about all the food poisoning from Pete’s Drive-In this spring?

Evil marshmallow milkshakes.

Everybody knows the only proper flavour is chocolate.

Yep. Won’t stop me from eating there, though.

That’s right, you still have family around that will fill you in on the BIG stories.

Hmm, chocolate marshmallow shakes. That’s just crazy enough to work.

Ginger, I understand your relative dislike, provided you’ve only tried it a few times. At first, I didn’t like the masses of cheese, sauce and sausage…but then I said that sentence aloud, and realized that I was insane.

I tried to find a 'Za place that would ship outside of the US, but I could not. I fancy myself a Pizza Proselytizer, and I can’t come through…I weep in frustration.

One word…stay away from somethign named “Mexican Pizza”…I am suspicious.

Wait! I believe that Amazon (of all places) will deliver Lou Malnati’s pizza to Canada!